iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Women running sawmills

Started by dumfries, August 11, 2004, 07:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumfries

I am a stay at home mom who also teaches piano.  All 4 of my children will be in school in September.  I am considering running the sawmill for my husband while he clears the trees.  I would love to hear from any other women who run the sawmill and find out what challenges I might be facing and whether this is a good idea or not.  Thanks.  ???
Dumfries

Mark M

DanG right it's a good idea, but you have to post some pictures. ;)

Welcome to the group!

Bibbyman

Welcome dumfires (Interesting handle BTW ???)

I'll see if I can get Mary to add to this post.  She's busy sawing right now.  ;D

I know of a number of women that their primary income is from sawing.  But,  for some reason,  they are a little shy to speak out here on the Forum.  Maybe they've heard enough!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rebocardo

> find out what challenges I might be facing

From working with my wife stacking firewood and such, moving green wood before and after cutting it.

A slab of  2" x 36" x 12' of green white or water oak can weigh well over 450 pounds after cutting it. So, make sure you are cutting and stacking small dimensions that you can easily handle without hurting your back or wrists.

If you have a pallet jack, pushing the wood off the mill unto that is a viable option.

Other then that, go for it!

rebocardo

Ps. Since you teach piano, wear good gloves and try not to squish your fingers when stacking wood. Gloves with knuckle and finger tip protection are nice.

I find good gloves really cut down on minor cuts and bruises that otherwise would require stiches, major bandages, or ice.

Bibbyman

Depends on your attitude as to whether it is a good idea or not.  We bought our first sawmill in 1994. For the first 2-3 years I pulled slabs and boards. I did not want to run the sawmill.  Too much thinking involved. But, we began to get too busy with orders to saw on a part time basis only. So, I started running the sawmill. From then until now, I have been the primary operator, sawing everything from  1/2x2 inch survey stakes to 12x12s, lots of fencing and for the past year and a half have been heavy on the grade lumber.  Most of the time I work by myself and it works fine. I can usually set my own schedule --- do dishes, put in a load of laundry and then go out to saw, stop and pick up the granddaughter from the school bus or whatever.  The biggest drawback is getting interrupted.  Here I am in the middle of the afternoon,  in my zone, planning how many feet I'll have sawed before I stop for the day (pleased with myself for getting so much done) when out of the blue some one shows up wanting A board, or bringing more logs, etc. It's a home based busines and the public thinks nothing of calling or showing up any day of the week and just about any time of day. Plus there is always the customer who is going to be here first thing Saturday morning and doesn't show up until 4:30 in the afternoon.
But, I still like sawing, buying logs, delivering lumber, etc. Lots of variety in what I am asked to saw. Am able to be at home, able to generally determine my schedule. If I haven't bored you too much or you have specific questions, please feel free to ask. I will try to answer. (But, I don't spend much time on the computer.)
ProSawyer Mary (Mrs. BibbyMan)

ps, How many 2"x36"x12' oak boards does anybody saw. Yes oak is heavy. But, most anything I saw I can move 1 end at a time OR use the loader on the tractor,.
Sawing since '94

Fla._Deadheader

Whew. :o  There for a minute, I thought that was the Bibster writin that.  ::) ::) ;D :D :D :D

Bibby, just got off the phone with John Hicks. Sounds like a top notch feller. Prodded him to join up here and let the guys and Gals know what he does.  ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dumfries

Thank you very much especially Mary for your advice.  I was working alongside my husband today and I was able to move the boards myself.  He has a cant hook, a loader tractor and a log loader so I shouldn't have any problems moving the lumber.  He also has set up rollers at the end of the sawmill so I should be able to roll them off the sawmill at any time.  I understand totally about the interruptions and the people telling you they would be there first thing in the morning and showing up at 4:30 p.m.  My husband has been in the business for 16 years and he feels we can increase our business if he gets the logs from the bush while I saw the lumber.  Thanks again.   :)
p.s. the title is Dumfries not dumfires.  Dumfries is our township and part of our farm name.
Dumfries

Ianab

Welcome to the Forum Dumfries :)

Sounds like you have things sorted pretty well with the machinery to do the heavy work. I'd second the good gloves thing, no matter haw carefull I try and be I'll allways end up with a nick, scratch or splinter at some stage. Nothing would make my piano playing any worse than it is though. :D
It's common for couples running a manual mill here for the lady to saw while the guy does the grunt work offloading. Lil is keen to have a go with the Peterson one day soon, but I cant see that being a fulltime thing, I enjoy sawing too much :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dumfries

Thanks again for the welcomes. After I signed off I couldn't help but think that I needed to thank you all for mentioning the gloves.  I am sure that will make my life easier.  Glad to hear that I won't be the only woman in a man's world.

Dumfries
Dumfries

Bibbyman

OOps!  Sorry about that. I stand Korected. :-X
Sawing since '94

Linda

Mrs. Dumfries,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! ;)

Hey, I have 4 kids also! :)

A women Sawyer :o  Hey that's a great idea ;D

I also end trim...

run the edger,
and stack lumber.

Like Mary, I did not want to run the mill much in the beginning.  We have been sawing since 1993.  I like the activity of pulling off the mill, starting a board in the edger, going back to pull another board off the mill, setting it up in the edger, pulling off the edger as I'm starting the 2nd board through and then pulling off the sawmill again.  

I do saw, but usually when I'm having back problems.  Which was almost 2 weeks straight last month.  Crappy bulging discs anyway. >:(  It's a nice change of pace, but I'm kind of hyper and like to keep moving. :)  Besides, since Al is the master sawyer around here, he always has all kinds of pointers, if you know what I mean. :-/  Good thing for Mary is, she gets to be her own boss!  Al and I kid each other a lot, especially since we are together 24/7, you gotta get along and have a good time doing it to make things go well.

Really, Al is a good guy, and we both know where we like to be. This way he can send me to take care of the retail customers, so he can keep sawing.  Or if he decides he wants some fresh cookies I can head to the kitchen to make a batch.  Good thing I have an oven that shuts itself off when it's done or I'd burn a lot of things! ::)  I can start the laundry or whatever else needs to be done, when Al is bringing more logs in or sharpening a blade.

The disadvantage of living on the same property you work is the customers think they own the place.  You have to have strict hours and a gate that locks, and even then you have a stray wander in sometimes. :(

Don't forget to use hearing protection. After the 1st 3 years of sawing I had my ears tested, I already had hearing loss especially in the ear closest to the edger (and I was using the low grade ear muffs up to that point).  You get what you pay for, it's better to pass on the cheapies at the hardware store.  You can purchase a good professional set for $20 to $30  
(29 to 31 decible rating is the best).

We use Howard Light brand, model "Thunder 29".  
"Lightning 31" is also availible from Howard Light.

You should register yourself and fill out your Biography, so you have your own place here at the FF.

Linda :)

Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Women can saw and haul. I have my wife help me when I need that extra set of hands. She likes quilting and raising the goldens better but she has always been there when I needed her. She is also in charge of loading unloading the kiln with the kids help.

Linda it looks like you may have done some bodybuilding from your photos or you have great genetics.It looks like you have a good set of guns in the second photo. :D
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

dumfries

Thanks again everyone especially Linda.  This sight is very friendly.  I just love it!  I really liked your pictures.  You are so right about the hearing protection.  When I was out yesterday I said to my husband.  I need to get hearing protection.  He wears some every day but I didn't think about it.  So lets see to summarize:  I need a good pair of gloves, good hearing protection and the equipment to help to move the logs and lumber.  I am getting excited about the prospects of this being a part-time job for me come September.  Thanks for your input.  It is great to hear from Linda and Mary who do this all the time.   8)
Dumfries

Gilman

Linda has a great point about the hearing protection.  As a kid I hated the fair rides until my parents figured out I hated the noise.  :'( (Something about me always having my hands over my ears gave it away).  They got me some ear plugs and it cost them $$$ in ride tickets!

I'm fanatic about hearing protection, I don't operate anything loud without them.  It's a matter of forming a good habit.  There are quite a few great brands and styles of ear plugs now available, so if you try one and don't like them don't give up.

As far as ear muffs Peltor makes a great pair with good db reduction and are really soft.  They need to be soft to wear your glasses/ safety glasses comfortably.

Source for Peltor ear muffs http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=2756&Keyword=Y

Along with the hearing protection you'll also have to get that digital camera out.  We love our photos here :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Patty

Welcome to the forum.  :)
Norm & I run the mill on weekends mainly. I usually do the off loading, he runs the mill, and stacking & stickering we both do . I have never met a board I can't lift or carry, and as Mary mentioned, if it is so huge that I can't lift the entire board, I can always just take one end at a time. Always wear gloves, eye protection, and ear protection. I regret not wearing ear protection in the past, because now my hearing is very diminished. (too many rock concerts in my younger days  ;D )
I don't know which mill you have, we run a bandsaw (WoodMizer), and it is quite user friendly. Norm has taught me to use it, and it is really quite simple, but I don't enjoy it as much as the off loading. I don't like to think so much.  ::)    It is pretty mindless work just to off load, and that is how I function best...mindlessly.  ;D

After saying all this, any woman or man can run a sawmill. I hope you give it a try, and I sure hope you enjoy yourself.  

Also, pictures are a necessity.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Paschale

All this talk about women running sawmills makes me think Jeff should add another forum category on here:  Matchmaking!  This bachelor wouldn't mind finding a woman who enjoys sawmillin'!!!   :D :D  How bout a singles piggy roast?   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Bibbyman

Better be careful what you wish for.  It takes a lot of tact, respect and understanding to live with a woman that can deal with loggers, run a sawmill, chainsaw, loader, flatbed truck and pull 2x12s all day long.  Kind of like having a big' ol' magnum rifle,  it won't do you much good if you flinch every time it goes off. :D

Besides,  if you note,  all these women are already spoken for... ;)
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

This has been an interesting thread to read about the women folk on the end of the saw or on the board stacking. :) My poor 'ole mother has worked hard with my father also. Been bounced around riding equipment, bruised and covered in dust for almost 40 years. She drove trucks and tractors and worked on the pickout line harder than any man father ever hired. She says every once in awhile when old ARTHUR starts aching, that's from all the abuse I took while working on the farm. :D She recalls several escapades she had to get involved with running or riding equipment, its a wonder there's anything left of her. She's one of the few folks that actually IS larger than life. Believe me her hair was white long before aged 61. :D

Just wanted to comment on Dumfries username, we also have a place called Dumfries here which is below Nackawic along the Saint John River. It is also a parish name in York County. Here is a link to the 'Moon Light Motel' in Dumfries, just for fun.
http://www.canadianrooms.com/mem/1192.htm

cheers and welcome to the gang :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paschale

Yeah, isn't that always the case:  the good ones are taken!  
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Gilman

You guys have a good point.  I'll have to see how the girlfriend likes running the mill before I ask her to marry me.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

ElectricAl

Ya, Linda's got a good set of "Guns"

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Norm

I see Linda's getting ready for those pesky cutomers that don't obey the "we're closed" sign. ;D

ElectricAl

"Closed"  means closed ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I only see one gun, I think she needs to work on her symmetry :D :D :D

I married a farm girl that lifted weights and had two older brothers so I have to be careful that she don't show me up and hurt my ego......

I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Thank You Sponsors!