iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor,Pulley and wheel size

Started by mlieb, December 07, 2014, 07:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlieb

Is there a rule in figuring or formula for figuring out Motor,Pulley and wheel size?
I plan on using Space saver spares (car tires) for wheels as I don`t have a lot of
money to do this.Don`t really have any idea of how to figure this out.

Dave Shepard

Pulley to pulley ratios are directly proportional. If you double the drive pulley, then you double the speed of the driven pulley. I don't know what surface feet per minute a band should travel, but I think I've read something like 5,000 feet per minute. You will need to know the diameter of the tire you are using, as well as the rpms of the engine. Then you can figure out what speed the tire needs to be spun, and then you can find a drive/driven pulley combination that works for your application.

Looks like that guy sawed off a pretty good spike or bolt on that cant. Ouch! :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mlieb

Do you think I could use a 5 or 6 hp gas motor and have enough power?

Dave Shepard

From what I have seen, that would be pretty light on power. It looked like the mill in that video was light on power, and wasn't sawing very fast. Not having enough power can cause other problems, especially with cut quality.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

slider32

mlieb, welcome, I am pretty new here as well, but I found a couple things here in the "toolbox" section of the site that were really helpful https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/CalculatorIndex.htm There is a pulley calculator and a bandspeed calculator.

I am still in the brainstorming phase, but hopefully will be building a small manual mill in the spring.  A lot of the guys here are production millers, and speed and efficiency is everything to them as it can mean the difference between making money on a job or not so small/slow machines don't make sense for them.

If you are doing this for fun/hobby 5 or 6HP will be cheap to start out, and easy enough to replace with something bigger down the road if/when you want to replace it with something bigger.

Swatson

I have some experience with low power motors.  I used a 5 hp electric (which has a near flat torque curve verses gasoline engine) for about a year and a half.  I cut quite a bit of wood with it but it has serious limitations.  You will not get anywhere near 5000 feet per minute of band speed with a 5 or 6 hp motor cutting.  You may get that speed when not cutting but it will degrade rapidly once you enter the log.  I dropped the speed to about 3100 feet per minute which gave more torque to keep the wheels turning but it is slow going.  I am not saying it cant be done but dont expect to buzz a log in 10-20 minutes.  More like an hour or two.  If you are just looking to keep yourself in some wood for your wood shop it worked for me.  Keep in mind that at slower speeds your band will dull faster per log.  There are other people on here that can detail why this happens but it has to do with how much of the tooth your using and log size needs to be small or it will be HARD.   

I rebuilt mine and this time used a 18 hp three cylinder diesel and man that makes a world of difference. 
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

mlieb

Yes I was thinking of a motor from a good sized garden tractor.Maybe a guy could buy the whole tractor at an Auction or Cragslist
and use other parts as well,Like the belt tension unit.
I think in most case`s you could probably buy a whole tractor cheaper than the motor.

mlieb

I have been pricing V-grove wheels.Wow.Why are they so expensive?
Any Ideas on how a guy could make his own?
I wonder if you could use a good heavy cast V-belt pulley
Maybe fill in the key way slot...
Any input ?,Ideas?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mlieb

mlieb

I was looking a Band saw wheels (for the blade).Found as set for a good price but they were only 1 1/2 wide.
Guess I`ll stick to using the car tires.
Someone said that when using the "car tires" they noticed a problem when cutting large logs due to the softness
Of the tire.My plan was to use  "doughnut spares".The rubber in these tires seems very hard.
The person that mentioned having problems was using a Harbor Freight trailer tire so I`m assuming they would be made
from a much softer (and Thinner) Rubber.   

Swatson

An inch and a half should be plenty wide for a band tire shouldn't it?  The band rides on the crown and a wheel that wide should be plenty as long as it is of a decent diameter.  I use tires myself, only out of necessity.  If I found some pulleys that size I would definitely look into it.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Dave Shepard

The LT30/40/50 Wood-Mizer mills use a V belt wheel with a B57 belt. The belt is only 1/2" or 5/8" wide. The guide rollers are the ones that need to be matched to the band width.

redprospector

If the Forestry Forum toolbox isn't handy when you're figuring, the formula for figuring the end results for certain pulley sizes is as follows.
Engine, or motor speed in rpm's. x drive pulley diameter / by the driven pulley diameter = rpm. of the driven shaft. To get the SFPM of your blade you'll need to know the diameter of the band wheels you'll be using. Multiply that by 3.1416 for the circumference of the wheel and divide by 12". Now multiply that by the driven shaft rpm and you will have the SFPM of your blade.

For example I'll use my sawmill.
I set my engine at 2800 RPM, the drive pulley is 4", and the driven pulley is 11", my band wheels are 20", soooo.
2800 RPM. x 4" = 11200 / 11 = 1018.18 RPM. at the driven shaft.
Band wheels are 20" x 3.1416 = 62.832 / 12" = 5.236' circumference.
5.236' x 1018.18 = 5331.19 SFPM.
That's how I've always done it anyway. If you know where your engine RPM. should be, and you have a target SFPM. you can figure everything else you need.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

mlieb

Been gone for a while( taking care of mom and dad)
Just wanted to say thank you for all the help and hope you all have a great holiday season !
Hope to be getting down to business and start on my build soon ! 

Thank You Sponsors!