iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are the best chainsaw chaps for safety?

Started by Cowgirl in boots, December 07, 2014, 05:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowgirl in boots

Hi.  I'm new here and have been enjoying the threads and great info.  Thanks for adding me.

My boyfriend uses a chainsaw a lot (cutting down trees, firewood, etc.) and I want to buy him all the protective gear that he needs.  I would appreciate any suggestions on the best quality chainsaw chaps that I could buy for him. Thanks!  (I hope this is the correct forum to post in, if it's not, I apologize). 

CCC4

I use Stihl Promark 9 ply full wraps. Be sure to get him a hard hat also.

Cowgirl in boots

Thanks, CCC4.  So, you would recommend the Stihl over the Labonville Full-Wrap chaps that I have read about?  Any tips for me on the hard hat?

thecfarm

Are you close enough to Labonville to bring him there? The wife said to me we are going somewheres. We went to Labonville and she brought me a pair of chaps. Safety glasses are a good idea too. Maybe one of those helmets with the ear muffs and screen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cowgirl in boots

We are not close to Labonville, but that was nice of your wife.  I have ordered some safety glasses, ear muffs and chainsaw gloves.  Anything in particular to look for in a hard hat/helmet?  Thanks.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
We have a sponsor, on the left column, PacForestSupply. Would be a good place to shop.
Get him a gift card for the chaps, as he may have some thoughts as to whether he wants to were wrap around or chaps. I prefer the chaps.
If they can be exchanged then no problem. Otherwise, the risk if he doesn't like how comfortable they are, then he likely won't wear them.

For me, chaps go on quick and come off quick. Something I'd have to climb into just wouldn't work for me. Take too long and would get too hot.

Or like thecfarm suggests, shop with him.  Nice thought you have.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CCC4

The full wraps are only 2 more buckles...not a big pain for me but they are pretty hot in 100* weather. In rattlesnake country and briars...I will always pick the full wraps. I wear my chaps 8 to 9 hours a day 5 days a week.

As far as the helmet, I have been using the Rockwell Premium helmet and really like it. The face shield though can be hard to see through when facing the Sun.

Cowgirl in boots

Thanks, beenthere.  The gift card is a good idea.  I will look at their site next. Along with the gift card, I'm going to give him the gift of the www.forestryforum.com link.  He will really appreciate that.

Cowgirl in boots

CCC4, I think my boyfriend would agree with you about the 2 extra buckles.  When I searched on the Stihl website for the chaps you suggested (with  9 layers), I get this:

Our most popular style! These Pro Markā„¢ protective apron chaps are essential protective apparel for serious chainsaw operators."

- says Apron - would that mean full wrap?

Thanks for the helmet suggestion too.  Much appreciated!

CCC4

celliott

I like my labonville full wraps too. The buckles aren't really a big deal to me either.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

gspren

I like my Labonville full wraps which I got and use because of this forum, the hard hat I already used. I'm glad and impressed that you are trying to keep your guy safe, good show.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

RayMO

Stihl full wraps work perfect for me as long as it is under 90 degrees
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

coxy

pine

I have a set of the Stihl 9 ply full wraps and Labonville full wraps.  Warm yes, but better protection yes.  Choice is in the wearer  I really like the extra protection of the 9 ply and the full wrap.  Some of the other chaps are only 6 ply; made by both Stihl and Labonville as well.

Go with the helmet, muffs and face guard.  Well worth it compared to safety goggles and ear muffs.

Southside

Honestly full wrap are the only way to go. Apron is usually not a full wrap style.  You get used to them and the full wrap is really nice when briars or sharp stick ends jab into your calf and all you feel is pressure rather than pain. 

One other thing I highly recommend are steel toe and cut resistant (chainsaw Kevlar) boots.  The 1st time he drops or rolls a log onto his foot he will understand why he needs to wear them.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

clww

One other thing I highly recommend are steel toe and cut resistant (chainsaw Kevlar) boots.  The 1st time he drops or rolls a log onto his foot he will understand why he needs to wear them.
[/quote]

Good point! I missed five days at work this year from logs rolling on top of my feet. ::)
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

DeerMeadowFarm

Windy_Acres

I wear dolmar brand chaps, I know little to nothing about them other than they are NOT full wrap, but given how I use them, I didnt see the need for full wrap, personal preference I guess, but I will add this, how many of you guys wear suspenders ?  I do, or I dont see how to keep the chaps "up".

I wear a husky hard hat/hearing protection, with face screen/guard, but let me add this, I wear  safety goggles, because we always have wind here, and safety glasses DO NOT keep dust, and small particulate out of my eyes.

These are them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RDJ9IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are vented, Ive not had them fog up yet on me.

Also found the stem of traditional eye wear does not work well with ear muffs, but the elastic band of the goggles works well with ear muffs.

Of all the PPE I wear, the goggles are my favorite PPE, after digging garbage out of my eyes for years. And on that note, I hate goggles as a rule, but it makes sawing and bucking so much more safer and pleasant, not to mention, Im not cleaning my eyes out for hours after I get done working.

I bought two pair, they are about $15, very comfortable, ANSI rated, UVA and UVB blockers, one pair are tinted grey for sunny days, the other pair are clear.

I found that if you cant see what you doing, your overall safety wains pretty bad, like tripping over stuff, running your saw through things you didnt mean to, ect..

Anyway, food for thought.

Cowgirl in boots

Thank you all very much for your help!  I really appreciate it and I was totally lost before I found you guys.  You're the best!!!

beenthere

Just what we do for cowgirl in boots.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cowgirl in boots

Seaman

Cowgirl,
you tell the boyfriend that the grouchy old men on here declare you a KEEPER, good job helping out with his safety ! Best of luck to the two of you.
My wife or 27 years is getting me chaps for Christmas also !
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Cowgirl in boots

Seaman, AWWWW!  Thank you.  Believe you me, I'll tell him that.  :-)  Very sweet of your wife in getting chaps for you also.  We want our men to be safe because we love you too much for you to get hurt.  Besides all that, we love our firewood.  Ha ha  Merry Christmas to you & your Wife.

I was a Seaman in the Navy once.

Thank You Sponsors!