iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birch bark for backsplash

Started by ozarkgem, December 06, 2014, 06:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I am a rustic nut. I have been trying to come up with something different for the my cabinet back splash. I got a brainstorm this morning to use birch bark. Any one have any experience using birch bark for anything. Thinking of gluing it and using birch limbs for trim. I will have to find a source for Eastern birch. We have the wrong kind here.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

sprucebunny

I've glued it on to furniture fronts but I don't think it will either wash well or take a washable finish well.
If it's just a dry cabinet, go for it  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ozarkgem

so you can't use a polyurethane for similar finish on it?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

sprucebunny

Real white birch bark is dusty feeling and not shiny.
Maybe flat urethane ??? But it's very 'peely' stuff so no telling if it would stay put.

The thing I made is the front of a built in TV table and looks ok after 8 or so years .
Definately bachelor furniture  :D

ozarkgem

so does it flake off over time? Was going to use if for the cabinet doors also. Maybe.

sprucebunny

It hasn't peeled or anything but we never dust or wash it  ;)
It probably gets vacuumed every couple of years.

69bronco

Quote from: ozarkgem on December 06, 2014, 07:22:06 PM
so does it flake off over time? Was going to use if for the cabinet doors also. Maybe.
[It wont flake unless it is being handled. I have had good luck spraying doors and panels with a flat/satin sealer. Don't think I would use it on a backsplash./quote]

Thank You Sponsors!