iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roller Blade guides

Started by EZ, August 10, 2004, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

When I adjust my roller guides I try to get them perfect, but with the coarse bolts that I have to adjust them with, at times I just cant get them just right. Maybe I'm being to picky, but right now they are a 1/32 different from front to back. What I was wondering if it would be better if that 1/32 differents would be better if the teeth side would be on the high side.
EZ

Tom

If you are using a blade tool and measuring 10" from the blade, the 1/32  doesn't amount to enough to worry about whether up or down.  Perfect is best but we can't always be perfect.  I'll bet there are enough variables like V belt tire, tension, set, etc. that you are what I'd consider "perfect". :)

BBTom

I agree with Tom, but add this notation.  If I err at all on the roller setup, I err with the teeth on the low end. Having the back of the blade a touch high allows me to slide past the cant if I forget to bump up.  That is, of course if I would ever happen to forget, not that I ever would forget or have forgot or will forget or..... Oh well, you get the idea!!!!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Bibbyman

I don't know what I'm doin' wrong but...  

After we had our 94 model LT40 a few months,   I got out the tool, manual and tape measure and went through the steps.  Couldn't tell it needed any adjusting so I put the tool up.  Sawed with it 7 years without touching the tool again - even changed out the rollers a couple of times.  Had a look for the tool when I sold the mill.  

Had a used LT40 Super for about two years.. never saw the need to check it.  

The tool that came with our 2002 model LT40 Super is still in the box - right where I put it when we set up the mill.

Knock on wood..  Now just wait... tomorrow everything will go wacky on me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Furby

Yeah Bibby, but atleast you'll know what the problem is right away!  ;) ;)

EZ

I beleave with a bandmill that only has a 16 hp motor and the blade speed at only 4400 fpm, that things have to be nearly perfect. Yesterday I was sawing some red pine and know matter what I did I was getting waves. I usally dont have this problem unless the blade starts getting dull. But as I am typing this I'm thinking its nothing but the blades. The blades that I am using are resharp blades of 5 or 6 times. As I remember sawing yesterday every knot that I sawed threw the motor bog down quite a bit. So that tells me that the set in the blade is not right. Back to my blademan I go, sometimes he forgets what he is doing. I'm 99% sure that this is the problem, I guess I should have thought about it a little longer before I posted this on here.
A 1/32, what was I thinking. :D
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

Sometimes a re-sharp isn't really sharp ???  Since getting a sharpener, I find that what feels sharp can be misleading. If that happens, I let the blade run another round, and, it GETS sharp.

We have a Magnolia sitting on the mill, and have to go secure the boats tomorrow. Them DanG hurry kanes is headed for us. We will finish the log and I will take some pics. You will be surprised at what we are doing. ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Gilman

Bibbyman,
Glad to hear you haven't needed to use the blade alignment gage.  I've already lost mine. I've only had my mill for two months.  I guess if I ever need it I'll have to find a straight twig, chomp up a good wad of bubble gum and stick it to the blade.

Looking forward to the photos Deadheader
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Bibbyman

Yea,  sure as shootin' if I loose the thingie or run over it or something .... I'll need it. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!