iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beam transporter

Started by Banjo picker, December 05, 2014, 08:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

Sometimes I have a need to deliver a beam to a customer.  So I modified an item I already had.  In the beginning this was a unit that I connected into the receiver of the hitch and attatched a picket line to the top which was about 6 feet in the air...let you put up a picket line for your horses just about anywhere, you could put one end of the rope to your trailer if there were just nothing else around.....I drilled a hole to attatch the long end in the receiver and made a t to go in the short end...leveled it up with the bed of the truck and drilled it out... will test it shortly. I think I can carry at least 20 footers on it.

May do a little modifying..could even put lights on it.  Feel free to move this to where ever it needs to go...I thought it was kind of saw mill related.... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Bruno of NH

Mr Banjo
Nice that will work good for long stock .
A light would be a finishing touch .
Jim/bruno of nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

I have one that I built several years ago, but never thought about using it to haul lumber.   :-[
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 05, 2014, 10:30:02 PM
but never thought about using it to haul lumber.   :-[

Can't haul what you leave.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 05, 2014, 10:36:31 PM
but never thought about using it to haul lumber.   :-[

Can't haul what you leave.  ;D

Good point !    :D :D :D :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Peter Drouin

I had a customer come and want to buy some firewood [slabs] He had a small truck and wanted to get a lower price. I said ok. He was around the other side of some logs and could not see him. Well, when he left I see this thing out the back of the truck with more wood than what you could put on a reg truck. He all ready pad me and drove past me at 50mph. Never to be seen again. :D :D
Now I look for things like that now. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Banjo picker

I have one that I built several years ago, but never thought about using it to haul lumber.   :-[
I guess a gentleman could use it to haul a small boat. smiley_lit_bulb
what do you use yours for??? Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dboyt

For tail lights, I clamp a piece of steel to the end of the boards and stick on a pair of magnetic tail lights.  OK for a few boards, but much of a load will sure makes the ol' Chevy light on the steering.  Maybe I should have it fitted with differential braking.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Banjo picker

I'm not planning on overloading it.  :D  You know how that goes.  Banjo

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 05, 2014, 11:17:30 PM
I had a customer come and want to buy some firewood [slabs] He had a small truck and wanted to get a lower price. I said ok. He was around the other side of some logs and could not see him. Well, when he left I see this thing out the back of the truck with more wood than what you could put on a reg truck. He all ready pad me and drove past me at 50mph. Never to be seen again. :D :D

Gotcha!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Slingshot

My son-in-law built one of those a couple years ago to use for hauling
a canoe and a kayak in his pick-up.   fishin-smiley

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 06, 2014, 10:09:12 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 05, 2014, 11:17:30 PM

Gotcha!  :D

That's ok, I never forget a thief :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Banjo picker

Gona try it out tomorrow.

18' 6" 2 x 10  pine

Peter Drouin

Looks good, Up here most guys have head boards and run the lumber over the cab.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

dustintheblood

Great idea!  I built one a few years ago for the canoes.  The T runs higher up level with the backrack so that long wood or lumber goes across the top of the truck.  I extended it back from the receiver so that the truck gate can still drop down.  The lesser distance out from the receiver to the vertical allows me to take more weight, and keeps the sway down.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Banjo picker

I just slightly modified something I already had.  Just for an occational item or two.  Banjo

Foxtrapper

I built one quite awhile ago to haul 16 foot steel roofing on.  Worked great for that.  But, now I can't get the hitch out of the receiver, so, don't work so well now..off hand, anyone know how to get a rusted in hitch out of the receiver without two days worth of effort?  Already tried chaining it to a tree, smoked all four tires in 4 low, and didn't move it an inch.. :-[
2014 WoodMizer LT28

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crowhill

I tried that headboard thing with a wooden 40' extension ladder 40+ years ago. Let me just say an education costs money! It caught on a low hanging limb and I saw the ladder shatter as it hit the pavement...
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: crowhill on December 09, 2014, 08:00:09 PM
I tried that headboard thing with a wooden 40' extension ladder 40+ years ago. Let me just say an education costs money! It caught on a low hanging limb and I saw the ladder shatter as it hit the pavement...

You're supposed to close the ladder before you put it on the truck. :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Banjo picker

It did fine on its maiden voyage, about 25 miles.  Banjo

cntryby

Looks pretty good, quite a bit longer than mine, I was mainly concerned about keeping weight off the tailgate. I put some vertical post on the ends, that I can remove for wide items, to keep stuff from sliding off the ends. The pic has a yellow swim noodle over it in the pic to protect the canoe. Made from SS.

But it works pretty good for other stuff too...

Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 09, 2014, 08:12:05 PM
Quote from: crowhill on December 09, 2014, 08:00:09 PM

You're supposed to close the ladder before you put it on the truck. :D :D ;)

:D :D

Years ago, I borrowed a neighbor's 24' extension ladder to work on a friends project that was about 60 miles away. Put it in the back of my pickup and had supplies loaded on it on the way down.  On the way back, just the ladder (which I did not secure :().  Flying down an empty back road (straight and flat), I see the ladder slide up and over the tailgate.  Crud - so I stop and hear a strange sound and see the ladder fly out from under my truck and up the road a little ways!  No damage other then my pride ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

AnthonyW

Just an FYI. There are regulations regarding overhanging materials from a transporting vehicle.

In New Hampshire:
1) No cargo shall overhang to the driver's side more than 6 inches from the widest part of the vehicle

2) No cargo shall overhang to the passenger's side more than 24 inches from the widest part of the vehicle

3) Cargo extending from the rear of the vehicle more than 4 feet from the rear most tail lamps there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle during darkness, in addition to the required tail lamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square.
Additionally, the total length of the overhang shall not exceed 2/3 of the wheelbase of the vehicle (if the distance between the front an rear axles is 15 feet, the cargo shall not overhang more than 10 feet from the last support).

I'm not sure if there has been a rash of incidents from having Lowe's in town (been here for a few years now), or what the story is, but I've been hearing more stories of officers citing cargo securement violations. On the other hand, it could be that I'm more aware of it as I and my family have been hauling more stuff between our houses.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Thank You Sponsors!