iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D O T laws

Started by coxy, December 05, 2014, 05:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

does any one know if you can have wood steaks on a log truck they are only 5ft high  this would be in good old N Y

Corley5

Can't have them in Michigan and OSHA will have your butt if they find wooden stakes on a forwarder.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

I thought there was a heigth limit if used with no support. They still use thousands of 8' 2x4s to haul x mas trees. That's michigan

Corley5

Guys used to use a double stake system on flatbed dumps here.  Wooden ones against the load and steel ones outside.  At the delivery site they'd pull the steel stakes and reach in with a chainsaw and cut off the wooden ones.  This was because wooden stakes were against the law and that was 25 years ago.
This truck had a dual stake setup.  Probably one of the last ones around.  This was almost nine years ago.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

I had a truck like that. 1969 darn good old truck put a lot of miles on it. And yes your right but how can these semis haul trees cost to cost with 2x4s. I've loaded thousands of trees and we loaded half way ran a rope stake to stake and loaded the other half. And these are high end freight carriers not just back wood trucks. I don't think anyone should be able to use wood though. I'm just saying they do. Theres a curve local called dead mans. Every year at least one tree truck looses his load. 2x4s turn to tooth picks.

jocco

Not trying to be a wise cracker but why not call or talk to dot cop and get answer for your state???? This is what I have done  for these situations,  more so than rely on what bubba said at the local diner. :)
You may check out but you will never leave

Autocar

I don't know how it is in other states but here in Ohio I have asked number of questions to D.O.T. inspectors and come to the conclusion they don't know any more then me.
Bill

Southside

I went to a training class and two DOT officers were there putting it on.  The question of transporting an empty fuel tank came up, they would not give a clear answer about what you can and can not do without a haz-mat license, placard, etc.  One guy even said it would depend on the type of fuel, so I told him #2, not like we run much #6 in the Franklin.  Still would not give a straight answer. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

coxy

Quote from: Autocar on December 06, 2014, 08:55:05 AM
I don't know how it is in other states but here in Ohio I have asked number of questions to D.O.T. inspectors and come to the conclusion they don't know any more then me.
that's what I keep getting is the run around   one guy says yes the gal says no     so I made some calls and got the same answers  ??? ??? they know jack crap of what is going on

pine

Each state is different but the one thing that stays the same:

The DOT folks will not put anything in writing.  Here they verbally dodge and refer you to a web site that is basically for a company that will charge you for an on-line course at $1000+

The CDL folks are different.  They will not answer the phone but encourage you to email your questions to them.  Then instead of answering the email (with a written answer) they call you back on the phone and give a verbal non-provable answer, but they do give a clear answer it is just not attributable.

Thank You Sponsors!