iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

beautiful curly maple

Started by Birchwood Logging, December 05, 2014, 04:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

I do believe this is the prettiest curly maple I've ever seen, now what to do with it?
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

mesquite buckeye

Pretty nice. ;D

I suggest you make something pretty nice. ;D ;D ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

I had some like that, Made the blade on the mill Chatter when it cut. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Pretty stuff.  Whatever you build out of it will be a treasure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

I had two logs similar to that one spring and a fellow wanted it QS for guitar necks.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Birchwood Logging

Yes it was some difficult stuff to saw I wish I could find a market for it I have around 250 bf of it just like that curly from one end to the other I don't even know what to price it for any of you guys ever sold any curly hard maple
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

dang birchwood you get to play work with some nice timber!!!!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

woodjunky

Amazing! After logs like that, regular wood just seems kinda.............eh.............:)

Kcwoodbutcher

I'd say $7.50 to $10.00 a BF on the low wholesale end. I get pieces like that for drum shell blanks but never 250 BF. It's much more common in soft maple.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

scleigh

The Instrument building folks( banjo, violin, guitar) really like curly Maple. Maybe target them, and the local wood workers.

rooster 58

I just sawed some like that last month.  285 bd ft. Part of me wants to save it for me. The other part says to sell it. I was wondering myself what it would bring on the market

Farmer Jim

How thick are the boards?  If 2 1/2" or more (3" would be a good thickness) they would sell as muzzleloader stocks at $100-$800 or more for one stock blank, depending on the curl and whether sugar maple or red maple.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

rooster 58

Unfortunately I did not make any stock blanks. I am still kicking myself in the you know what for not doing so ::). I sawed it all into 4 quarter

dgdrls

Quote from: Birchwood Logging on December 05, 2014, 08:28:08 PM
Yes it was some difficult stuff to saw I wish I could find a market for it I have around 250 bf of it just like that curly from one end to the other I don't even know what to price it for any of you guys ever sold any curly hard maple

Local Hardwood shop gets $7.95/B.F. for 4/4.  Kiln dried material from Conn.

DGDrls

Birchwood Logging

I did saw a 2-1\2x12 and a 3x12 had a local gun smith offer me $50 each for them I told him I better pass lol

Farmer Jim

Quote from: Birchwood Logging on December 06, 2014, 10:22:45 PM
I did saw a 2-1\2x12 and a 3x12 had a local gun smith offer me $50 each for them I told him I better pass lol

Good.  The best money is if it is air dried, but if you need to, you can easily find someone to pay well for a piece like in the photo even if it isn't dry.  Sugar maple is preferred, because the best carving requires hard dense wood and a lot of red maple isn't dense enough.  Some is and some builders will use softer red maple with great curl for guns without carving.  A 3X12 may yield 2 blanks if it is long enough, 7' gives room to move the pattern around during layout to ensure that the grain runs through the wrist and doesn't run out in the wrist, the weakest area.  So if it is sugar maple and 2 blanks could be sawed from one plank, it should be no less than $200 for the board if the curl is like that in the photos.  Wish I was near you, that is nice curl.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

WDH

If it was mine, I would price it at about $8.00/BF for the 4/4.  I have yet to have a curly maple log anywhere near that good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wle

How wide are the boards? Very nice stuff.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is amazing. We don't have grain like this where I live. Good job!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Birchwood Logging

The boards are 12 inches wide and 8 feet long. I guess that's one of the benefits of being a logger when I run across a nice curly log like that I can lay it to the side

OneWithWood

In these parts that is known as tiger maple.  Instrument makers, especially violin makers, will pay through the nose for it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!