iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barnwood Price

Started by Hagwoodhunter, December 05, 2014, 01:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagwoodhunter

I tore down an old barn a few years ago and have a good stash of barnwood.  I have someone interested in purchasing it.  what should I charge?? I got no idea
'88 Lt 30

Traveling Man

BradMarks

I would think start with the price of dimensional lumber in your area.  Customer can decide if the aesthetic value is worth more or less.

Ironwood

Volume, consistency, character, and condition all matter. Is it detailed? start with dimensional price for poplar (not pine) and go up from there. I broker A LOT of barn wood to commercial buildouts, all depends on your "network"

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

If it is sound, then start at a ridiculously high price.  If it does not sell, then double your price.  Sometimes what a person has to pay for something is very important to them.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

around here good sound painted or faded 1" barnwood brings from $1.25 -$1.75/ b.f.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Larry

10 or 12 years ago I re-sawed some chestnut timbers out of a WW-ll warehouse for a gal building a new house.  It was a real small part of the construction but she was using a small start up company by the name of Elmwood.  Green houses and all was the theme.  At the time I think about all they were doing was tearing down old barns for the wood.

They have grown a lot as you can tell by there website.  I see they still buy barn wood so you might give them a call.  Or maybe get an idea of the going price.

http://www.elmwoodreclaimedtimber.com/

They were located up in south KC so not that far away if they are still in the same quarters.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

BradMarks

As MM says: "double your price" and then you can put it on sale @ 50% off!.  That is the standard answer when someone asks about a "special price".

Hagwoodhunter

After re examining my stash of barn wood I decided to sell for around 1.25 a board foot. Some was in disrepair and some was in great shape and they were willing to take the lot so now I got more room to store fresh cut wood  smiley_thumbsup
'88 Lt 30

Traveling Man

BradMarks

Thank You Sponsors!