iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Sticker

Started by Glenn1, December 05, 2014, 10:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

This is a sample of a unique wood sticker that I first saw at a mega hardwood kiln company.  It is made from a wood called Capirona which is supposed to be both hard and rot resistant. By using the spiral cut method, the sticker touches the lumber minimally.    Has anyone seen  this type of spiral cut sticker?

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This design is likely covered by he patent that Breeze-Dried has for the grooved sticker where the grooves run at an angle.  The original, un-patented sticker had one groove running along the full length of the sticker.  Obviously, with a longer sticker, the air in the groove did not move out very easily.  So, Breeze-dried came up with the idea of putting the grooves at an angle, which allowed for much better drying under the sticker.  I have seen many stickers just like the one in your picture.

I have never seen a sticker rot, so rot resistance, which the wood used in your sticker has a moderate level of, is really not a benefit.  The species you have does have some staining issues, as lumber.  It is quite similar, although a bit heavier, than hard maple.

The most common sticker species is oak, probably because oak is sawn so much. 

The key properties for a sticker are its strength and straightness.

The grooves must not break or wear off quickly, so that is why a stronger wood is preferred.  When piles are very high, the weight is concentrated at the ridges and can actually indent the lumber if the sticker is harder than the lumber.  Such indentations cause processing problems later on, because the crushed fibers do spring back, sometimes after finishing.  So, in general, a very strong sticker will last longer but will also potentially damage the wood being dried.  For that reason, oak, maple and similar woods are preferred.  When drying light weight woods, which are not as strong, then the sticker should also be lighter weight to avoid damaging the lumber with high piles or stacks.

The particular wood shown here is from Latin America and South America including the Amazon region.  I do wonder about the requirements for harvesting and importing such a species, as deforestation is such an issue in that part of the world.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Denny

I use Breeze-Dried stickers on all the white woods that go into my kilns. They work great for me. Been using them for many many years now and I never see any sort of sticker stain on my maple. Pretty dam sure mine are made of oak, I'll have to take a closer look at em on Monday.

Glenn1

Thanks Gene for this informative information.  I will contact Breeze Dried and see what they have to offer.  I'd rather not have indentations in my lumber while it is drying.   :'(
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Glenn1

Quote from: Denny on December 06, 2014, 09:19:53 AM
I use Breeze-Dried stickers on all the white woods that go into my kilns. They work great for me. Been using them for many many years now and I never see any sort of sticker stain on my maple. Pretty dam sure mine are made of oak, I'll have to take a closer look at em on Monday.

Thanks Denny,  I'll be anxious to see if it is oak.

Thank You Sponsors!