iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Curly Cherry Desk

Started by WDH, December 05, 2014, 07:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Got the desk to Santa's Sleigh just in time :)

Applied the finish, then permanently attached the top using table top fasteners so that the top can move with the seasonal changes in humidity.

Here is the finished product.  I am pleased with how it turned out.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

Danny,
A really fine looking finished project that is! It will be around a long time. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the info on the clips. Mine came yesterday, and I will use them soon.
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

gfadvm

That turned out just beautiful!  That will only get prettier with time and is destined to be a family heirloom.

Magicman

Your pride is justified Danny.  That is exquisite.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Swatson

Quote from: WDH on December 24, 2014, 08:00:43 PM

Here is the finished product.  I am pleased with how it turned out.

I would be more than pleased with how it turned out.  It is a beautiful piece of work.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Delawhere Jack

Very nice. Great balance between detail and letting the wood be the star. Really like the breadboard edge on the bottom shelf. You've got some lucky daughters to get such wonderful presents.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm sitting here looking at your table and respectfully laughing with joy. I knew what it was gonna look like, 'cause I've seen some of your work in person.
This is "Over the Top Pop"!
Your daughter will have a great piece to hand down. Very nice Danny....VERY nice!

***Note: I still have bad dreams about the brand being upside down.  :D ***
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

Very nice work as always, I love it so if she doesn't want it.........  :D

mesquite buckeye

One question. What do you do for an encore? Them kids are gonna get mighty spoilt. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Love the desk. Very nice. Glad to come in here and see a project progress along. I woulda been here sooner but I have been busy with other hobbies. :D

I love those table top attachement brackets, big fan of those. I also like the way the carcass is constructed for the drawers (nice dove tailing). I do mine that way these days as well. I have even made wooden guides for the drawer backs, but metal or plastic is better for that. Wood can break easy especially kilned.

I would like to say magnanimously that the desk looks magnificant. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Jack,

There is a story behind that breadboard.  Lets just say that it was not part of the original design.  Sometimes, breadboards can make shorter things longer  ;D.

All told, there are 5 species of wood used in this project.  Cherry, yellow poplar, red oak, walnut, and sycamore. It is cool to be able to use different species of wood in a project. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerBrown

WDH ... oh Wow.  That is just exquisite.  Oh, wow.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

samandothers

Just read the thread and what beautifully crafted project. Your daughter will be proud!

Howvdidvyou cut the holes for the drawers in the aprons?  Are the drawer guides secures with pocket holes and screws?

Gotta bookmark this.

fishpharmer

Your an inspiration.  Although, I was certain it would look great.   8)

I truly aspire to build furniture like that, someday!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WDH on December 25, 2014, 07:07:50 AM
Jack,

There is a story behind that breadboard.  Lets just say that it was not part of the original design.  Sometimes, breadboards can make shorter things longer  ;D.

All told, there are 5 species of wood used in this project.  Cherry, yellow poplar, red oak, walnut, and sycamore. It is cool to be able to use different species of wood in a project.

You're supposed to act like you planned it that way.  ;)

WDH

Sam,

To make the wide drawer opening, I took the apron board and ripped 3/4" off the two long edges.  Then took the center piece and cut the opening out of that, then glued the edge strips back on.  Since the grain matches perfectly, you cannot tell that the apron board was ever cut apart.  On the narrower drawer, I made a face frame to create the drawer opening.  And, yes, the drawer guides are secured with pocket screws using the Kreg Jig. 

Jack,

No more confessions from me  :D.   

Thank you, James.  It looks much better than what the pictures show.  That cherry is really incredible.  There is a story behind that, too.  A wood supplier friend that I worked with for many years called me about 7 years ago with a problem.  He and his son were trying to make a white oak dining table that was to be 8' long with 2" thick white oak planks.  A tough job any way that you look at it.  They were frustrated that they could not get the planks to join up even without gaps.  Wanted my advice.  I gave it to him.  "Bring them over to my shop" was my advice.  I jointed the boards and glued up the top.  It joined up beautifully.  They were very happy.  He asked me what he owed me, and I said, "Nothing".  A year later I got a call from him, and he wanted to know if I wanted a cherry log.  "Sure!  I will come and get it".  I got there and it was 10' long and 18" on the little end.  I asked him what I owed him and he said, "Nothing". 

I sawed the log and stickered the boards.  They dried.  At Christmas, Dodgyloner was down visiting his Grand Parents.  He called me and asked if I needed any help doing anything.  I told him that I had a stack of cherry lumber that I needed to un-stick and put in the rack.  He said that he would come over and help me do it.  As we were unstacking the boards, he said, "This wood is curly!"  I had not really noticed. 

So one good deed led to another good deed, and the result was a curly cherry desk :).  Here is a pic of the subject log:

samandothers

Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing the build and the knowledge.

LeeB

Danny, you are supposed to tell everyone that the breadboard was intentional to take care of wood movement in the shelf so it woodn't destroy the legs.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stanwelch

Excellent job Danny !!
I really enjoyed the build.  Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

WDH

Lee,

I can't believe that I was so smart  ;D.

jamesamd

Danny, You son of a gun,that was a great build,A wonderful job, even the bread board stretcher!
With no blotching in the finish,I am green with envy
Now with no criticism in MY words.
I only suggest,that next time You have two different size draws in a piece, You draw the hardware placement on paper, with several options to find a balance that pleases the eye.
Please forgive Me if I have over stepped My boundries and did a quick Photoshop alteration of Your fantastic desk  You made for Your loving Daughter.
My thoughts are not the only or right way to do this. Artistic creativity, has no bounds.

Jim

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

beenthere

Quote,that next time You have two different size draws in a piece

I finally discovered that the change in the photoshopped pic was the placement of the drawer pulls. Took me awhile, but I'm slow. I think I like the original best tho. It is authentic. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

Good one Jim!

Mr Hamsley, when I grow up I wish I have one smidgeon of your talent.

Don't let Poston near it or he'll chew the legs off it!  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

Although I like the way Jim thinks here on the handle placement. My brain would be working like WDH's and it would be as was presented originally. ;D

However, maybe a piece of lace on the night stand.

My Photoshopping skills are kinda rough. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Jim,

I think that the paper hardware placement suggestion is a great one.  Once the holes are drilled, they don't look so good caulked over  :D. 

SD,

Just think, as your photoshop skills improve, you won't have to spend all that time making a project in the shop when you can just make it on the computer  ;D. 

Thank You Sponsors!