iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Curly Cherry Desk

Started by WDH, December 05, 2014, 07:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I always enjoy reading about how other people build their projects.  I am currently building a simple, curly cherry desk for my daughter.  It will be 56" long, 26" wide, and 30.25" tall.  There will be two drawers, one in the center of the seating area, and one on the end.  Below the one on the end will be a shelf for a printer. 

This will take 6 legs.  The aprons will be attached to the legs with mortise and tenon joints, then pegged.  Here is a pic of the legs with the mortises cut.

Close up of the mortises.

Fitting the tenon to fit the mortise for the larger drawer opening.

I hope to get the carcass glued up today.  I have to pre-sand everything first.  Makes the final touch-up sanding much easier. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

69bronco

Can't wait to see more, that'll last for generations! Do you have a mortiser?

Magicman

This will be an interesting build.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks interesting. Don't think I've ever seen legs with the ends glued on.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Andy White

Danny,
I'll be watching this build for sure. Seeing someone else working a project makes me pay attention to all the secrets and methods they share. What kind of tennon saw is that? Two sets of teeth, that thing rips. Should be a great heirloom piece when you finish it.   8) 8) 8)
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Bronco,

I have a mortising attachment that fits on the drill press.  Works good.

Andy, that is a Japanese style pull saw.  I believe that it is called a Shark Saw.

Poston, those are pencil marks  :D.  Only a goat would glue an end on a leg.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Legs are a good start. :)

I always like the look of your shop.  Everything seems close at hand.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 05, 2014, 08:56:31 PM

Poston, those are pencil marks  :D.  Only a goat would glue an end on a leg.

Fooled me.  :D :D :D

jamesamd

Thas cause Your a Dang GOAT  ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

jamesamd

Nice start Danny,I have My popcorn!

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

goat.. this is a tough crowd for ewe. :D :D :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ewe'll never know!..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WDH

A little more progress.  Here is the sub-assembly for the right drawer opening.  I added a bead on the apron to spice it up a little. 

Fitting the shelf below the drawer to house the printer.  It is dadoed into the legs.

Here is the right side dry fitted with the drawer opening and the shelf.  Ready for glue-up.  I tapered the bottom of the legs to give it a more refined look. 

Hopefully, I can complete the glue up of the carcass tomorrow. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Lud

Nice lookin', Danny.  You work fast! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

Looking good, thanks for sharing your progress,, amazing figure on those boards,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LaneC

That is without a doubt, the best looking carcass I have ever seen ;D That is some fine craftsmanship, and the tapered legs are very nice. A classy project. Thanks for showing.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on December 06, 2014, 08:35:12 PMI tapered the bottom of the legs to give it a more refined look.
Can you taper Goat legs??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2014, 04:03:32 PM
Quote from: WDH on December 06, 2014, 08:35:12 PMI tapered the bottom of the legs to give it a more refined look.

No. Goats have all the refinement of a Steak-umm.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 07, 2014, 04:16:34 PM

Do not compare me to the OTHER meat.  ;D

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 07, 2014, 04:35:34 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 07, 2014, 04:16:34 PM

Do not compare me to the OTHER meat.  ;D
I think someone got Poston's g....oh never mind. ::)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

That project is looking good.
Now about this goat problem that keeps coming up.Any male goat that ever came to The C Farm was always dehorned and the use of a rubber band was put into use too. You have been warned.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!