iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cue the infomertial theme......

Started by FarmingSawyer, December 04, 2014, 06:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

I can't say enough how Forestry Forum has helped my sawing......
Why just today I was able to cut a big, knotty, partially frozen Spruce Log with a Manual mill and a partially dull, 10˚ blade with utter success......

Additionally, I caught my sawdust in a 5gallon bucket, Parbuckled like a pro and live sawed like never before........

Just look for yourselves......

It goes to show, it Can Be Done, with the help and power of the Forestry Forum!  8)

All kidding aside, I really do appreciate the help all y'all give here. It has upped my game tremendously. I was cutting for myself today and playing around....but I wouldn't hesitate to do this for a customer. Wide, knotty spruce. Partially frozen. Pushing a nearly sharp 10˚ blade....I had to do it. Because it was there. I wouldn't have the confidence to make the choices I make sawing without the help right here. Thanks!

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

beenthere

QuoteI can't say enough how Forestry Forum has helped my sawing

Along that line of thought, and from your pics of logs with splintered ends, cutting them off before they get caught by the mill's band blade and tossed somewhere where you don't want them ... is a good idea. ;)

Also makes for easier handling of boards and neater stacking in the pile.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

FarmingSawyer

Good catch! I thought of trimming....but my saw was 100yards away in the barn and dark was coming...... so I left it. Old circular saw habit I guess.....never bothered a 52" wheel much. Normally I do trim them up...this was a freebee salvage log I was trying to clean up before I move my mill for the winter. Making space in the barn now so I can hopefully cut small cedar on stormy days.....

Delawhere Jack

Thanks to Jeff hosting the site, and the wisdom shared by countless members. This forum has saved you, me and many others, years and years of learning the hard way.

WmFritz

I naively decided to build a mill to make paneling without ever seeing one in person.
Once I had it up and running, I sat back and thought now what? My Google searches kept bringing me here. It didn't take long before I figured out this place was something special.

I honestly believe that the reason the Forestry Forum draws such great people is due to the manner Jeff steers the ship.

Great pics FarmerSawyer... thanks for sharing.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

woodjunky

FarmingSawyer

Feels great! Especially since I haven't sawn anything for myself in over a year.....just been sawin for other people......

I've got one more spruce log here--12" x 7ft--That I'm going to save to saw with my 1st resharpened band....probably next week..... Cats' Claw comes on Monday!!  8) 8) 8)

If it doesn't warm up any, and it doesn't look like it's going to, it'll be good and froze so I can test some different tooth sets to see what works best with a 10 or 8˚ band.
Hopefully I'll have the mill parked in the barn by then.....

Magicman

Quote from: WmFritz on December 04, 2014, 07:17:32 PMI honestly believe that the reason the Forestry Forum draws such great people is due to the manner Jeff steers the ship.
Jeff is a good Captain.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Magicman on December 04, 2014, 10:30:57 PM
Quote from: WmFritz on December 04, 2014, 07:17:32 PMI honestly believe that the reason the Forestry Forum draws such great people is due to the manner Jeff steers the ship.
Jeff is a good Captain.   8)

A DanG good captain! And the courtesy and the quality of the posts here surpasses most forums on the Net........

blade69001

When I was younger (teenager)  I had a bandsaw that gave me fits I could never cut anything worth a dang on it. Every time I made an adjustment to fix one problem two more appeared. After many years of trying to make it work the way I wanted it to I found my first table saw and never looked back at that old bandsaw. Fast forward to my late 30's I was sudenly pressed for the need of a bandsaw, my earlier experience steered my towards subbing out that portion of my work in the shop which I happily did for years, while I read about these new portable band saws. Lurking here I finally was convinced I could figure my way through any problems with the information and resources here so I bought a resaw, recently I brought home my first of many portable mills.  Many thanks to all Jeff for guiding us and everyone else for quick info and all the pics too as I am a visual learner.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

dboyt

As the student becomes the master, it is time to pass on your experience and wisdom.  For everyone who replies to a posting, there must be more than 100 who read it.  It is a great forum for learning and making contact with other sawyers.  Thanks, Jeff-- and all who share!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

landscraper

Dboyt said ... "For everyone who replies to a posting, there must be more than 100 who read it."

Couldn't be more true.  I lurked here for a while before registering.  I don't chime in much unless it is something I know about.  What I do is read.  I search on keywords, and sometimes I just read old posts to see the bits of knowledge they contain.  I've read most of the posts on the Milling forum back several years. Without a doubt I've learned more here than anywhere else.  Youtube ain't got *&^! on the FF.

IMHO there are more than a few guys here that could write a booklet or make a video that accompanied new mills to teach guys the FAQ of bandsawing.  Maybe WM or TK could do that and have some FF Guest Stars!  Seriously.  And no, I am certainly not referring to myself  :D

The general level of knowledge, restraint, respect and cooperation on the forums here is rare.  I'm on a few other forestry/(fire)wood/sawing sites and the behavior there isn't the same.  I've worked construction for 25 years and am accustomed to abusive language, physical confrontation and general brutishness and boorish behavior (heck sometimes I am at the epicenter of it :-\).  When I sit down in the evening to relax and learn that is not the environment I want to be in.  FF is a cool place in general, populated with cool people. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

FarmingSawyer

I put a lot of this down to some fine southern gents and gals on here keeping the tone calm and respectful....Either that or the Orange Kool Aide has a calming effect. Add to the fact that Jeff's a peach and we all cuss and rant at our mills and logs all the time so we don't need to do it here.....

justallan1

I fully agree with everything said. Jeff does a great job keeping this site what it is and everyone here makes it not only the best resource for any variety of topics that we run across in this line of self abuse, but also some good clean humor and friendship.
Thank you all.

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!