iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

25" QSWO !

Started by RPowers, December 04, 2014, 03:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

I've spent the last couple days working on a large, large WO that a client had taken down  after it started dying from the top down. We made four 9' logs before it forked, and the top log was still 26" at the small end! I cut the top 3 logs plus a large (14") upper limb the first day, all into 4/4. The smallest cant was 18" square. The butt log I milled on halves yesterday afternoon. I quarter sawed as best I could a 36" log on a manual mill, ended up with around 300' of lumber from it, widest being these 25" 4/4 QS planks, and the rest into 9" wide 8/4 QS stock. Some of the nicest I have sawn yet of any species. No metal. He even gave me a couple boards that were curly from a top log!

2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Seaman

SWEET ! SCSmith will be jealous.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

Aahhhh.  The sweet fruits of your labor.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodjunky

OH! some beauties there... Quarter sawn oak is one of my favorites...  Well its one of everybodys favorites. Im not special. Even though my mama said I'm very smart for my age... ???

5quarter

I love wide boards! I feel your pain...sawing that job on a manual mill. good work!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

flatrock58

That is some nice looking oak.  I cut my last oak log today and got more quartersawn.  Definitely worth the extra trouble!
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Now you have to figure out how to dry it  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RPowers

I am considering ripping the pith out of mine on the mill before drying. good idea?
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

drobertson

Depends on what you are looking for, wide or narrow. That pith looks pretty good to me, the right wide side of the pith looks good, as does the narrower one on the left. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Depends upon the final use.  Look at some of the slabs/tables that member "tule peak timber" displays in the Woodworking board.  His pith looks like $$$.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The pith is gonna crack real bad.  I would rip it out. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

x2 for what WDH said;
Quote from: WDH on December 05, 2014, 08:51:56 PM

This air dried bur oak has the pith on the left side of the boards - the lower layers have no pith.

It's called "the pith" for a reason - you're better off without it.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on December 05, 2014, 08:51:56 PM

Yup - definitely get rid of it.  Same thing with the sapwood.  Then your boards won't crook while drying.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

RPowers

2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Larry

After I got done fishing tonight I stopped by the store.  I was wearing my TK hat and the store owner asked if I had a sawmill.  I told him I sure did.  Of course that led to a conversation since he is doing a big house addition in a year.  He said he had a water oak in the way with a diameter of 52" at breast height, and yes he measured it.  He is an architect so he should know about these things.

I told him the tree was far too big for my mill but I knew just the guy.  I couldn't remember your website but I did remember your name.  Told him to do a search and he could find you.

Said he would be doing the work in about a year.  When you get the call you will know how he got your name.  Yes, I take tips. :D :D

BTW, I leave the pith in when I first saw.  After it dries I cut the pith out.  I don't think the boards crook as much this way.

Good luck with the 52 incher. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Larry

Quote from: Larry on December 07, 2014, 09:02:22 PM
BTW, I leave the pith in when I first saw.  After it dries I cut the pith out.  I don't think the boards crook as much this way.

I should explain that more.  If I saw a board right through the center of the log and going with your example it is 25" wide.  I want the pith in the center 12 1/2" from each edge.  As that board dries the left side will crook in the opposite direction of the right side.  Balanced forces cancel.  After the board dries put it back on the mill and rip out the pith along with the junky splits close to the pith on each side.  There will still be problems, but I don't think as bad as ripping the pith out when green.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

WDH

It is just a lot of extra work to dry the wood, then tote it back to the mill to saw out the pith.  That is OK if you only have a few boards.  I have done it a bunch of times. 

mikeb1079

QuoteThis air dried bur oak has the pith on the left side of the boards - the lower layers have no pith.

perfect pic to illustrate a point i've heard empasized about removing the juvenile wood when qs ing. 
cheers
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Larry

Quote from: WDH on December 07, 2014, 09:28:21 PM
It is just a lot of extra work to dry the wood, then tote it back to the mill to saw out the pith.  That is OK if you only have a few boards.  I have done it a bunch of times.

Very true and who wants to handle a 25" board twice?  Just another technique worth a try.  Than you can make a choice as to when to do it.

RPowers

Quote from: Larry on December 07, 2014, 09:02:22 PM
After I got done fishing tonight I stopped by the store.  I was wearing my TK hat and the store owner asked if I had a sawmill.  I told him I sure did.  Of course that led to a conversation since he is doing a big house addition in a year.  He said he had a water oak in the way with a diameter of 52" at breast height, and yes he measured it.  He is an architect so he should know about these things.

I told him the tree was far too big for my mill but I knew just the guy.  I couldn't remember your website but I did remember your name.  Told him to do a search and he could find you.

Said he would be doing the work in about a year.  When you get the call you will know how he got your name.  Yes, I take tips. :D :D

Good luck with the 52 incher. ;D

Thanks Larry   ;D You need a finder's fee on that one!
I'll wrestle with anything they'll pay for. Especially now that I've got my CSM slabber setup. 51" max width, so bring on the 52" log!  :o
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Thank You Sponsors!