iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tree farmer C5D winch problems

Started by 350 cummins, December 04, 2014, 01:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

350 cummins

i am new here so i hope i do this right
i have a tree farmer C5D with a gearmatic 19 winch(terrible winch) and i have a working winch from a clark skidder, does anyone know if they can be adapted to work on the tree farmer or has maybe done this conversion
thank you
clark 662   john deere 440B   '52 D47U      '7? michigan 75IIIA    JCB 214   '71 KW 8v71    '8? Rounder L700   Lumbermate 2000  '78 Chev C65  Hitachi EX60     cat 931 '90 L800 w/atlas picker    IH TD5 loader       central boiler dealer   range road firewood processor dealer

Maine logger88

I just started a thread about this awhile back about putting one on a 240 tj. It's under Clark winch?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

what is the trouble with the g matic   they are a great winch but you cant cobb them together it has to all be wright     there is a bunch of us that can help you  ;D

350 cummins

clarks are common in our area and easy to come by parts, tree farmers not to many around thought it might be easier to switch to the clark winch thats working rather than work on the gearmatic
i have rebuilt the control,the brake and drive bands, actuating cylinder, bearings, swivel and other misc parts and can make it work but it only gets used in the winter and every fall it is a fight to get everthing working and usually costly
would like something thats not high maintenance
clark 662   john deere 440B   '52 D47U      '7? michigan 75IIIA    JCB 214   '71 KW 8v71    '8? Rounder L700   Lumbermate 2000  '78 Chev C65  Hitachi EX60     cat 931 '90 L800 w/atlas picker    IH TD5 loader       central boiler dealer   range road firewood processor dealer

tj240

gearamatic is a good winch but they are finicky. if you let it sit all summer its probably getting gummed up with condensation, rust and what ever. the winch on my tj 240 made a weird noise but found out the band got moisture on it cleared up with use. good luck
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Ed_K

Haven't tried this but, maybe leave the winch control in freespool when not in use. I know their finicky,mine sat one yesterday and on the first draw in, it wanted to keep pulling till I stepped on the clutch.I drove forward and slipped it a little,no more acting up all day.
Ed K

coxy

the trouble with leaving it in free spool is that it will blow the rubbers and it weakens the brake spring  been down that road  ;D

350 cummins

i can also get a winch from a john deere 440B but i don't know anything about them, owner said it worked fine when he quit using it 10 years ago
can get it for almost free, any ideas on using it on a tree farmer

ga jones

I put a Deere winch onmy tree farmer. Look up 540 a winch in the search here
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

350 cummins

thanks everyone i appreciate all the info

HiTech

Yes Gearmatic is a good winch. I use a big mud flap to cover my winch when not in use. I find this really helps. Keeps moisture and snow and what not off it. After everyday's use I put the flap back over it. I know it is a pain sometimes but it works great for me.

tj240

i personally wouldnt change the winch. it has to be a simple problem, but it is your money. jd winches are hyd, treefarmers are too but not to the point of jd. the treefarmer i ran had a master cyl. like a car. pretty simple but the winches need to be used.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!