iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stretching semi, thoughts ?

Started by RunningRoot, December 03, 2014, 08:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

Found a good shape international twin screw.
52,000 GVW. So I could stay under IFTA
How hard would it be to to stretch it about 5 more feet and double frame it ?
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

snowstorm

why would you wanta do that? if it light frame then its only 12 f 40r? dt? if you want to add 5' without moving the rears. buy 7' of double. the inside rail will butt outside will go over

eichenberg93

The neighbor stretches frames for potato trucks quite often. They seem to hold up good. When you say to double frame it. do you mean the hole bed length or just the spot that you would be adding? 

RunningRoot

It is 12k fronts and 40k rears...  but that's one reason I like it cause it's under 55k. I see what your saying about the double frame. I can get all the length of double I want from my buddy's scrap yard.

RunningRoot

I imagine I would have to double it the entire length of the bed. I hope not all the way to the front bumper ?

landscraper

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Autocar

If your looking at strength you should go all the way to the front springs. Ive been told if you only go to the cab the fram can break in that spot. Good Luck but keep in mind there's a million and one straight trucks out there for sale and one of them would fit your needs perfect  ;).
Bill

ga jones

There are a lot of veriables in that question. Frame thickness height, how much slag is on it now. Are u moving the rears? 12,000 front axle isn't heavy enough. The spring hangers are a weak point .The double frame should be to the rear front spring hanger ifs it's got a 9 3/4 high x 1/4 inch frame. If it has the 14 high x 3/8 only to the cab is fine.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

ga jones

International fuel tax assn. federal motor carrier tax. heavy highway road use tax starts at 58000 gross
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

NWP

Are you mounting a picker on it and log bunks?
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

RunningRoot

I am going to get the current frame dimensions for you guys.
I would eventually like to put a loader on it  (whatever truck I end up getting,still shopping) 
I was thinking the 12k front might be a problem.
Any other axle combo better fit for hauling logs that would stay under IFTA ?

Woodhauler

I have seen a few that was done, Usally break were the double frame ends. Save your money and find a double framed truck.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

ABTS

IFTA is only if you go out of state do you mean heavy road use tax that kicks in over 50000. Here in Wisconsin if you stay in state no ifta just a lc number and heavy raod use tax over 50000.

Thank You Sponsors!