iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bandsaw blade sharpening

Started by Big Country, December 03, 2014, 01:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Country

Anyone here around Jacksonville Fla that sharpens band blades.
I do not like the product I get back from Woodmizer.

Dave Shepard

Then tell Wood-Mizer. ;) I think the ReSharps I get back are as good, or better than when they were new.

Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure there will be someone that will be able to point you in the right direction.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

I'm getting my popcorn out for this one.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

blade69001

Yeah I have about 30 blades that I need to send off to be resharpened so I am very interested in the information.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Not a place to complain.

QuoteI do not like the product I get back from Woodmizer.

What might someone around you do different with your sharpening that you would like?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

I am just finishing my 12th year using WM Resharp.  I have had no complaints and very few questions and those were always answered to my satisfaction by the resharpening personnel.  I shipped another box of 10 out Monday.

Oh, and welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

bandmiller2

Welcome big country, we need to know more, mill type and problems est. Be a little carefull spitten snooze juice on anything orange around here they have a large following. I have used resharps and found them to cut well but with a shorter life span. Been sharpening my own for about 14 yrs. when I have a problem its the guy in the mirror that's responsible. BC if you can locate someone local have them sharpen and compare with resharp, possibly adjustment problems on your mill. Best would be take A road trip to Cooks and get a Cats claw demo. and sharpen your own bands. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 04, 2014, 07:58:10 AM
Welcome big country, we need to know more, mill type and problems est. Be a little carefull spitten snooze juice on anything orange around here they have a large following. I have used resharps and found them to cut well but with a shorter life span. Been sharpening my own for about 14 yrs. when I have a problem its the guy in the mirror that's responsible. BC if you can locate someone local have them sharpen and compare with resharp, possibly adjustment problems on your mill. Best would be take A road trip to Cooks and get a Cats claw demo. and sharpen your own bands. Frank C.

Or find a Cat Claw owner and get a demo from him/her!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 04, 2014, 07:58:10 AM

It's not that you can't say anything about orange, it's just that you will be asked to back up your statement. I know my ReSharp service is excellent. If he isn't getting satisfactory results, then WM needs to know why. If he wants to use a different service, I don't care, but I suspect something is amiss if he isn't happy, as I know what ReSharp is capable of.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Big Country

Hey Guys.
I'm not downing wood mizer.
I've sent well over 200 blade back to resharp.
out of those 200 they have not sent back 30 or so.
I INQUIRED.
They told me that if they could not sharpen it on the first go round then it wasn't worth there time.
I asked them to please send them back so I can find someone who can take there time and sharpen them.
Also the blades I get back they they say are resharpened I can only cut a few logs before they are dull again.
the New blades I buy from WM are really good and I'm happy but the product I get back combined with the answer I got for blades that can be resharpened with a lil more effort has put a sour taste in my mouth.
I think I would rather find someone local that is willing to sharpen them the right way and not what is the fastest or cheapest.
I know they are a business and have to make a profit but I don't feel like I'm getting what I pay for.
The closest resharp to me is Newnan Ga.
and I don't know if you use that location as well.
I know for a fact the resharps I saw with are no where as good as the original product.
I do not have any problems with the new blades on my mill only resharps.
I gave a friend the last 8 I had resharpened and he said they were [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] as well.
I'm sorry guys but the truth is the truth.

uler3161

Have you thought about getting a sharpener and setter? That's what we've always done. It takes time to do, but we have full control.

I can't comment much on ReSharp other than what other people have told me. Did they give you a reason that they wouldn't sharpen on the first go around?
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

To each his own.  Only you know your sawing requirements and the market that you saw for.  Only you know the condition (dullness) of the blades that you send to Resharp.  Since, by your own words, you are sending many blades to Resharp that can not be resharpened, then maybe you should examine your blade changing interval.

I would concentrate my efforts toward finding a satisfactory resharpening service that meets your particular needs rather than complaining about the one that you have been using.

I personally use Ga. Resharp and my experience is completely different from yours.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

FarmingSawyer

Popcorn and Purple Drank here........Others might be sipping Orange Kool aide......  smiley_jester smiley_beertoast
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

POSTON WIDEHEAD

BIGCOUNTRY, Are you using a DE-BARKER?

I use my debarker on 99.999% on what I saw. I to, like others get my blades re-sharped at Georgia.
I swear on DanG's beard, I have NEVER had 1 problem with the job they do when they resharp my blades.

Even if I have any specific instructions, I put a note in the box for Lee to follow.
I've never been disappointed.

If you're not using a debarker.....this WILL be a large part of your problem.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Foxtrapper

If you've sent in 200 plus blades, you could have your own sharpener by now.  I'd get a cat claw, they seem to have excellent reviews.  I would've bought one myself, but I found a good deal on a wright 37 and thought I would learn on a different one, so if I could ever afford a cat claw, i'd really appreicatie it more.. :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

wwsjr

I have been using ReSharp at Newnan for 12 years with good results. Over million BF cut. I would call Lee and discuss the problem you are having. I am on replacement program so that if I have bad or broken blades, they are replaced at a discount price.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

5quarter

Big country...you're running your bands too long. If you run a band til it simply won't cut any more, you can't expect one trip around the sharpener to make it like new again. Understand that WM sharpens hundreds of blades a day and cannot fiddle around with each one until it's perfect. Start pulling your bands when they're still sharp. you'll be surprised at how well those resharps cut compared to what you're getting now. If you anticipate sawing as an ongoing concern, think about sharpening your own. Every blade you sharpen will be $$ in your pocket and the machine will pay for itself sooner than you think.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!