iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler Classic 6048? Need help!

Started by Woodheatin, December 03, 2014, 02:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodheatin

I just purchased a Classic 6048 and am very nervous about the purchase. I grew up with buck stove inserts, so I am definitely new to these OWB'S. I am wondering if maybe I should have went with the E-Classic 2400 instead? The dealer that I have made the purchase from said I still have time to change to the other if I so choose. Any suggestions? Also, I have noticed that a lot of posts on here say people burn through 20 + cords of wood a season. We live in southern Indiana and our  dealer said the norm around here in a Classic is 12 - 15 ricks. Does that sound about right? I hope I am making the right decision going with OWB instead of something indoors. All responses are greatly appreciated!

thecfarm

Woodheatin,welcome to the forum. I know I burn more than I use to with the wood stoves I was using. But no oil usage at all,the whole house is warmer now. I have not regretted the purchase of mine OWB at all. This is year 7 now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

David-L

I wouldn't turn back ever. The older style can be run efficient and handle a little more green than the newer models. Simple with less parts than the newer ones that require more maintenance and attention and certainly very dry wood. I burn dry round wood and put red oak in that has not been split that still has some moisture and have coals in the morning.
Stir those ashes daily and keep the water where its suppose to be and you will be warm , safe and lovin it. Always safer with the fire outside.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Dave Shepard

I've had my 6048 running for a little over two weeks now. I am glad I got it up and running. I know I would burn more wood than I was in the wood stove, but my entire house is warm now, instead of the entire downstairs being unlivable. I also get all of my domestic from it as well. I'm burning pine slabwood, and I know I'll go through a pile of it, but I've got to get rid of it anyway. I can advise about the EClassics. From what I have heard, they require good dry hardwood to work right, and have a little bit more maintenance. My Classic seems to eat whatever I put in there, although I think I definitely prefer the slabs over hardwood firewood.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodheatin

Thank you for the quick replies. This is the first time I have ever made a username to talk about something I'm doing/purchasing. So you guys would not switch to the e classic, right? For whatever reason this whole thing makes me nervous and I just do not want to get the wrong one. As I said, we live in southern Indiana and I'm hoping that we will not use as much wood as some of you with the much colder temperatures.

Woodheatin

I forgot to mention that we have electric heat pump with propane back-up. Not sure really what it costs to heat with only that as last winter I kept a little wood stove going which would keep the thermostat from kicking the furnace on. However, this caused the rest of the house to be cold, especially the finished basement. Last year that wasn't to big of a deal, but now our son has moved his bedroom down there so I thought that maybe OWB'S would be the way to go so that the whole house gets heat.

Little side note I have not fired up the inside wood stove this year, due to the fact that I have decided to wait until whatever we purchase gets installed. The electric bill for this month is a little over $160 and that's with the thermostat being set to 65 degrees which we think is to cool. Also it hasn't really even been that cold yet.

All help and input is greatly appreciated!

Holmes

Stock up on wood while you can, assume more consumption than before, and keep a record  of usage for reference.
Think like a farmer.

Woodheatin

That's a good idea to keep track of wood consumption. Does anyone have an idea of about how many ricks of wood they go through on average? I'm heating only house and hot water for now. Plan on going to garage later on.

WmFritz

Ricks must be a regional term? How many ricks are in a full cord (128 cubic feet)?

Have you seen this thread? 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71545.0.html
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

Woodheatin
Pls. go to your profile and put your location in your bio.

Helps to have an idea where you are speakin from. ;)

What are the dimensions of what you call a rick?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

I believe them there ricks are 1/3 of a cord, but?
Think like a farmer.

Woodheatin

Okay. I put in in there. I am guessing that it is a regional term as well. From what I have found on the internet it is somewhere between a 1/3 and a 1/2 of a cord. I really don't know. Hope this helps.

Woodheatin

Okay., I definitely have an answer. It is 1/3 of a cord. I'm still up in the air about classic vs. e classic.

coxy

go with the classic got ours in 94-95       this time of the year and no dry wood just green you will have heat        this time of the year with a eclassic and no dry wood you may be sol  :)

Woodheatin

Right now we have dry wood. So are you saying regardless of dry wood or green wood go with the Classic? I also have a question about the heat. I am used to wood heat coming from a fireplace or insert and that type of heat is hot. How does that compare to the heat that the boiler will be pushing through our duct work? I hope it is a much warmer heat than electric heat pump heat.

upsnake

I have the e classic 1400.
I love it, my other brother has the classic 6048 he loves it.

There is a little bit more maintenance with the e classic, ( have to scrape the metal around the door seal, he doesn't).

I stir the ashes up with the poker rod between loading, he had a big pile of ashes on the bottom.

I occasionally clean the side holes, (which I hear have gotten easier to do with the 1450 and removeable plates).

I go through about 6-7 full cord ( 18 to 21 ricks, assuming a 1/3 of a cord).
That is heating the house and the domestic water, in a 2000 square foot house (3k with basement). The house is of average construction for a 20 year old house.

As far as the need dry wood statement, sure they all "need" dry wood, but will both of them burn anything yes. The e classic just won't gassify as well with sub par wood.
There is not as much water in the e classic or as large of a firebox, so it relies on higher efficiency to get the same output.

Think ecoboost engine that the turbos are not running up to par, the truck will still run it just won't have the same power output as the V8.
Switch to better gas, the turbos will work and you will be back to the power of a V8.

I have burned good wood in it an it works awesome, I have burned not quite ready wood, and it still works it just works harder.

It really comes down to a matter of choice. They both are good stoves. :)

To try to answer your question about the heat. I had forced air gas before, and now forced air with the water to air hx.

The house had a larger temp swing before. When I switched to wood, I set the  setback on the t stat smaller, the house in now within a degree of of what I ask it to be. It doesn't have the fireplace heat feel to it of course. It is just a consistent temp.

Woodheatin

Thank you so much for the information. I am just concerned with wood consumption. Before I got the idea to get a OWB I was going to get a Fire Chief indoor wood furnace. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have stuck with that. Probably would use a lot less wood. Any advice?

Woodheatin

Also, about how much wood does your brother use?

martyinmi

I've used a conventional OWB as well as a gasser and I'd NEVER go back to a conventional.
There is a little weekly maintenance involved with a gasser, but your wood consumption will be less than half what it would be with a Classic 6048.
The design of the classics (ripple top) is tried and true, and they have a good reputation, but that reputation is from their reliability, not their efficiency.
I gather all my wood, and as I get older, that process gets tougher and tougher. Last year I went through a bit over 8 cords (4'x4'x8'). I'd have went through double that with a conventional. 8 extra cords takes this old fart about 8 full days to cut, buck, haul home, split, and stack.
I'd much rather spend those days hangin' with my family.
Another HUGE benefit of owning a gasser will be happier neighbors. They are not smoke free, but they do smoke about 95% less than their conventional counterparts.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Woodheatin

They do sound appealing. I'm wondering if I shouldn't get money back and start over.

MTJAG

I've had a CB5036 since 2011 and love it.  I also went through the process of deciding which unit to buy, the classic or the E-gasser.  My dealer told me I would save about 1/3 less wood buying the gasser but the wood wood would have to be uniform, split, and dry for it to achieve the efficiency advertised.  Since I didn't have a splitter, I went with the classic and I burn anywhere from 9-11 cords a year.  I live in Colorado at an elevation of nearly 9000' and we head a 2400 sq ft two story cabin (infloor heat), and a greenhouse.  We also get our domestic hot water off of it.  It's a very simple setup and when it's not burning optimally now, it's usually something simple like my stack needs cleaning.  It will burn anything, any size.  If you burn green wood, it's going to collect creosote pretty quick and will need a cleaning of the stack and T.  Other than that, it's saving me over $3000/year in propane.  The gassers are a bit more finicky than that.  The will "bridge" if not properly loaded.  Anyway, that's my two cents.
CB CL5036 OWB, Husky 450, Montana 4WD

Woodheatin

I am still completely unsure of which to go with. I am have tempted to see if I can't get our money back and start over. I just want to get the right one as it is a lot of money to be spending. Still interested in all advice!

WmFritz

I don't have an OWB, but I have an indoor gasser. I love the fact that I use a lot less wood and it's pretty neat to look at the stack when it's running full bore and see nothing but heat waves coming out.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!