iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut whipped my butt today.

Started by johnnyllama, December 02, 2014, 05:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyllama

Spent the day cutting and stacking some wide walnut slabs today and now looking forward to a long soak in a hot tub of water. I find that even using the tractor with forks, and a manual winch to turn the logs, a 24-30" walnut log is as much as I can handle by myself. Boy, was it worth it in the end though. These will eventually be table tops after a period of drying. We build custom cabinetry and furniture and I'm always on the lookout for promising logs. These came from a local tree removal outfit, delivered to our door for a fee. All but one fit our mill but the last one is just too big. I may trailer that one up to Woodmizer's place in Hannibal, NY where they have a WM1000 that can handle it's 36" size.
Got a quick break between snow falls so I wanted to get these cut up and stacked before the next snow which started just as I finished up. Got enough 2 1/2" slabs for 5 table tops of 39"- 50" wide, all bookmatched plus a lot of 4/4, 5/4 and misc. parts.
  This follows up a few days of cutting ash for tops, benches and 4/4" material and a bunch of basswood 4/4" and 1/2" for apple crates. I'm running out of room!!!

Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

clww

That's some pretty stuff. Well worth a band whipping. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

kevin19343

Is this supposed to be a "pity me" thread? :D

Why can't "bad" things like that happen to me!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Beat me 'til I'm Black and Blue White.

Very, very nice job and beautiful slabs and lumber.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

goose63

You and the saw got a work out for sure but worth it that's some good looking wood
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

addysdaddy

Can you give me a quick lesson on Book matching. I have an idea but could use the help. Have a large white birch i'd like to do.  :-\
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

Delawhere Jack

Man does that bring back some memories! I started out with a Turner mill. Be thankful, at least yours' has hydraulic loading. Turning a 1,200lb cherry on mine had me home and in bed by 7:30pm........

The end result makes it all worthwhile though!  ;)

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: addysdaddy on December 02, 2014, 06:20:59 PM
Can you give me a quick lesson on Book matching. I have an idea but could use the help. Have a large white birch i'd like to do.  :-\

Basically you take two boards that came from the log adjacent to each other, then flip one over, like opening a book, and glue them up. The resulting board will appear to be a mirror image of the grain on either side of the joint.

johnnyllama

Del Jack,
That's a darn nice cherry log, looks like it about maxed out your winch! We have the hyd. log loaders but usually just load with the forks on loader. It's the turning and unloading/stacking that are tough. I've had some back surgeries so I try and use my head when it comes to the heavy stuff,.... sliding onto and off forks, levers, etc. It takes longer but at least I can do it. Time's not as much of a factor cutting for yourself.
  On the bookmatching you said it right. In this case I straightlined one edge of each slab. After it's dried and planed I'll true up the glue edge with a Festool rail saw. Smaller pieces get resawn for bookmatch in the shop.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

reswire

Did Poston get a new goat?   Or did someone get his old one?   ;D ;D

At least dress this one up a little.....
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Ljohnsaw

Very pretty wood.  That first picture looks like a pair of Pterodactyls having a staring match! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Quote from: reswire on December 02, 2014, 07:12:12 PM
Did Poston get a new goat?
Looks like he traded it in for a sheep.  Nice Ram.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

addysdaddy

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 02, 2014, 06:48:35 PM
Quote from: addysdaddy on December 02, 2014, 06:20:59 PM

Basically you take two boards that came from the log adjacent to each other, then flip one over, like opening a book, and glue them up. The resulting board will appear to be a mirror image of the grain on either side of the joint.

Think I've got it. I was thinking you could only do this with the center cut but you basically slice off one side ... square it on the mill and slab the whole log pairing up every 2 slabs. 
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

drobertson

Yea! a hot tub sounds good about now!  dont' have one,, nice job for sure, boards look great!  looks like you are stacking so a FEL can pick up the stacks,, done plenty of that around here, sure makes it easy for the customers to use their tractors..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2014, 07:29:18 PM
Quote from: reswire on December 02, 2014, 07:12:12 PM
Did Poston get a new goat?
Looks like he traded it in for a sheep.  Nice Ram.   smiley_thumbsup

Thats a goat you old goat!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

From that nice stack of boards, it looks like you prevailed.  Good job!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Bill Gaiche

That  is one nice stack of lumber. That kind will put a smile on your face after being whipped every time. bg

Ocklawahaboy

I have approx 2bf of walnut in my possession.  You drop a log like that off at my place and I'll gladly turn it like a dog looking for a place to lay down and not complain.

Thank You Sponsors!