iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cold natured honda gx670 on WM(problem solved)

Started by 47sawdust, December 01, 2014, 06:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

My 97 LT30 came with a Honda Gx670 on it.It was brand new at time of purchase.I've put about 150 hours on it.It runs excellent until the temp. drops into the 20's.It starts and idles fine,runs normal at full throttle,but dies at the end of the cut when I disengage the clutch.starts back up with no problem.Is their a solution for this other than setting the idle speed higher?
Thanks,Mick

Honda sells a cold weather fan shroud cover for $100.00.It reduces the volume of air to cool the engine.Designed to be used when temps drop below 45°.I cut a 6''disc of 1/4 plywood and zip tied it to the shroud.The honda ran better than ever and thinks it's the 4th of July.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ely

mine doe sthe same thing until it warms up... seen on here once that it is due to the small jets in the carb made to run in California for emissions. word was you could drill out the jets with a size larger wire drill and it would fix the prob. I never did the work I just keep restarting it. if I bump the throttle a bit right after I finnish the cut it stays running most times.

sprucebunny

I gave up running my sawmill below 40 degrees. Honda engine.

Sure wish you guys would post a picture....

Email it to me and I'll help !!!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Chuck White

Quote from: 47sawdust on December 04, 2014, 09:11:33 PM
My 97 LT30 came with a Honda Gx670 on it.It was brand new at time of purchase.I've put about 150 hours on it.It runs excellent until the temp. drops into the 20's.It starts and idles fine,runs normal at full throttle,but dies at the end of the cut when I disengage the clutch.starts back up with no problem.Is their a solution for this other than setting the idle speed higher?
Thanks,Mick

Honda sells a cold weather fan shroud cover for $100.00.It reduces the volume of air to cool the engine.Designed to be used when temps drop below 45°.I cut a 6''disc of 1/4 plywood and zip tied it to the shroud.The honda ran better than ever and thinks it's the 4th of July.

My new 25hp Kohler does the same thing.

Noticed it on the last sawjob when temps were from 20°-40°F.

I was thinking of ziptying a piece of cardboard or a thin piece of wood over 1/2 of the air inlet on the front of the engine, but the job only lasted 4 days.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

My firewood processor is on its 2nd 670.  They've both ran well at temps in the single digits.  Where they've both had issues is in temps between about 33 and 37 degrees with some humidity.  The carb will ice.  You can look in the top and see the frost on the outside of it.  It's the frost in the carb's throat that causes the problems.  The engine will be begin to run erratically and the governor won't do what it should.  Shutting down for a few minutes to let the engine's heat thaw things out helps for while  ;)  In this application the engines runs full throttle all the time.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

Carb icing is a headache, a little creative duct work will direct exhaust heat to reduce he problem. In cold weather pull the breather tube off the air filter base and let it hang, cover the hole in the base with duct tape. If normally hooked up, ice will form in the hose and the crankcase will build pressure which will lead to oil consumtion and possible popped crank shaft seals.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

loghorse

I bought a landpide treker,like a jd gator.Has a 20 hp honda .previous owner blocked off half the shroud to run better.Also came with a pipe cut in half lengthwise that goes over the exhaust pipe right at ihe block.other end of half pipe is full round pipe that accepts the hose   going to aircleaner.put it on 2 weeks ago at 0 F ,when warmed up it purs like a kitten.Not computer savy or would post a pic. Can be bought as optoin from honda

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 05, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
I gave up running my sawmill below 40 degrees. Honda engine.

Sure wish you guys would post a picture....

Email it to me and I'll help !!!!

Anyone got a photo of this mod?? I tried running my gx630 this AM at 12˚....and it worked but kept cutting out after the cut. Wouldn't warm up. Too cold to be milling anyway as my finger's froze, but I've got to get back at it once it warms up to 20˚.......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

sprucebunny

I'm guessing they just put a piece of cardboard over the round vent on the front side of the engine. Carb is buried in behind it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

FarmingSawyer

So I did this and was able to run the engine pretty much trouble free for a long time at 16˚F...... And I could close the choke all the way......

47sawdust

Don't be afraid to try a larger disc,the one that honda sells closes off almost all the air.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: 47sawdust on January 01, 2015, 05:55:06 PM
Don't be afraid to try a larger disc,the one that honda sells closes off almost all the air.
Mick

I kinda wondered if 6" was gonna be too small....but it seemed to work like a charm. I still have rags stuffed in the air-inlets as well......

Thank You Sponsors!