iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 40 Super with Kubota diesel question?

Started by woodhick, December 01, 2014, 06:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I have someone local to me wanting to sell a LT40 super with Kubota diesel.  I am thinking of buying it as an upgrade from my LT40 hyd.  Mill owner does not know much about what he has and I have not been to look at it yet.  I was thinking that I had read on here some time back there was a common problem with the Kubotas and something breaking or cracking on them like the pulley or something??  I think I remember that woodmizer has an upgrade "fix" for the problem.  Anyone know what that problem was and what should I look for?  I know mill has one bad dc motor on it and has been setting out tarped instead of under roof since new and he thinks it's around a  2002 model but not sure.  Will check it out later this week but wanting input on the Kubota issues before I go look.   Thanks for any help.
James

Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

terrifictimbersllc

I have the 2001 super/42 Kubota. Haven't heard of what you mention but not sure that means there isn't something.  What I have heard is that this is one of the best diesels WM has put on a sawmill. Starts well all the time and about 8 hr engine time on 5 gal.  No trouble with mine other than minor things: replaced temp sender switch, glow plug relay, radiator mount bushings, plastic radiator overflow bottle cap (i broke it, careless),   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

It is my understanding that the reason for WM to stop using the Kubota engine was not a maintenance problem but a supply problem. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on December 01, 2014, 08:33:46 AM
It is my understanding that the reason for WM to stop using the Kubota engine was not a maintenance problem but a supply problem.
WM told me once they wanted to buy hundreds but Kubota wanted to sell thousands.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ohio_Bill

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,75930.msg1155396.html#msg1155396

The issue with the pulley cover is covered in the above link by Marty.
I have a 2001 super with a Kubota it has almost 5000 hrs on it .  Has been a good mill .I also upgraded from a LT40 and the board drag back   has been a great help .

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

tule peak timber

I just sold a Kubota powered WM with 1100 hours on it. Zero trouble with the motor and I can recommend the Kubota highly. I also had Kubota powered generators in my boat years ago with the same results-zero problems. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

pineywoods

Sawyer just up the road from me has a super with kubota. Lots of hours. The only problems I know about was a broken fan belt,bad glow plug relay (not really a kubota part) and the plastic coolant overflow bottle split.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodhick

Thanks for the replies.  I think the post that Bill linked up was what I was referring too.  Which does not seem to be an issues if its just the guard.  I dont have an issue with Kubota ( I have 3 Kubota tractors).  But it usally boils down to how it was cared for.  Some people can tear up an anvil in a sawdust pile.  Also he said machine has set outside 99% of its life covered with a tarp.  That tells me a lot of how it was cared for, I mean you have a machine that will cut all you lumber to build a shed to keep it in. A couple hundred dollars or less in metal and you could have had a nice building to store it in, but you choose to cover it with a tarp??????

James
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Nate379

The problem is the crank snaps off at the pulley.  The engines were not designed to have a pulled on them with a side load.  It would have needed a jack shaft setup.

Seemed to be an issue at 2-3000hrs area.

I know for a while Woodmizer was swapping all the Kubotas to ???? motors (sorry drawing a blank right now!)

We used to be the Woodmizer dealer for Ak, this is info based from that, not just a guy with A mill.

Kubotas are good engines yes, but the heavy side load on the crank was outside design parameters.  Least that's the story I got on them.

Dave Shepard

I've never heard of a Kubota snapping a crank, but there have been a bunch of Perkapillers that have. Crank snapping is from over tightening the drive belt.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MartyParsons

Hello,
I have never seen a crank issue on a Kubota. WM does not make a crank support kit for Kubota. Just Yanmar and Cat. I am not saying anyone is incorrect, we just have not seen it here. We did see a Nissian 36 hp gas engine crank break but the drive belt was so tight something had to break. It was not the engines fault it failed. It was so tight the Auto clutch breaker tripped. 
Very few issues with Kubota Diesels on WM. Like the others said, glow plug relay socket, water recovery bottles, a starter here and there, fuel solenoid and fuel pump non of which is very common.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

GDinMaine

I know of an LT40 super with a 42 hp Kubota, that has well over 10,000 hours. It is sawing daily.

I don't see what the issue is with covering the mill with a tarp? It shows that he cared to cover it. The owner might not had had the time, logs, energy, space or whatever to build a storage shed.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Dave Shepard

Building buildings in different parts of the country means different things. Here, you need a permit, and unless you are setup as a farm, you have to submit plans, plot plans, maybe even have an architect or engineers stamp, pay more taxes, etc. My mill has been tarped since it was delivered 4/08/08. Previous owner was going to build a roof, and got as far as pouring a slab with some big footings in place, but then I bought the mill. I hope to put a roof over mine, but don't have the money, and it would not be a long term home for the mill anyway as there simply isn't enough space to run my operation where it is now.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mikeb1079

the super i picked up has the kubota on it with over 7000 hrs....still seems to run just fine!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Nate379

Never saw one either, but it was happening enough for Woodmizer to put out info about it.  This was ~8-10 years ago.

The replacement was Yanmar.. that is what we have on the LT40.

Quote from: MartyParsons on December 01, 2014, 08:43:53 PM
Hello,
I have never seen a crank issue on a Kubota. WM does not make a crank support kit for Kubota. Just Yanmar and Cat. I am not saying anyone is incorrect, we just have not seen it here. We did see a Nissian 36 hp gas engine crank break but the drive belt was so tight something had to break. It was not the engines fault it failed. It was so tight the Auto clutch breaker tripped. 
Very few issues with Kubota Diesels on WM. Like the others said, glow plug relay socket, water recovery bottles, a starter here and there, fuel solenoid and fuel pump non of which is very common.

Hope this helps.
Marty

backwoods sawyer

Acording to the WM rep that I talked with the Kabota generator motor with the heaver tail bearing for side loads was the best motor they ever put on these mills, and the Yanmar is a close second. The one on my mill has over 9,000 hr and still running strong, radiator mounts, preheater issue, and keeping the air cleaner clean are the only issues I have had.
This motor is 15yr old as the mill was built dec 1999 and the mill is real close to producing it's second million bft.

You would have a good motor there, pick up a belt tention gaudge so you don't apply to much side load and it will make piles of sawdust for you.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

I have an acquaintance that works on marine diesels that had a Kubota genset on one of his ships that had 48,000 hours on it. He had to replace the injectors, and then he sent it back to work. :D

Thank You Sponsors!