iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Iron Do You Run?

Started by Oldtimer, August 09, 2004, 01:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldtimer

Hello.

I run a tired old C5D. About sick of it, and moving to a J.D. soon.

What do you run? Be specific if you reply.

Thanks. 8)

OT.
My favorite things are 2 stroke powered....

My husky 372 and my '04 F-7 EFI....

Kirk_Allen

I currently use a 930261ChevWarnBack skidder.

It has worked out pretty well too date but looking for a replacement.

Oldtimer

QuoteI currently use a 930261ChevWarnBack skidder.

It has worked out pretty well too date but looking for a replacement.

Home made fun?

Kirk_Allen

1993 Chevy
2002 Warn Winch (9,000lb)
1961 Back Bone

Thus - ChevWarnBack ;D

When the Back bone is Warn out its time for a new Chevy 8)

Kevin

--Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/photo/123480482/123482521GjPgle

Ed_K

72 taylor skidder
 78 massy model 30 loader w/ grapple + 3pt winch
 03 massy model 1433 w/ 3pt winch + forestry trailer
 53 wore out back  :D
Ed K

theonlybull

1968 homebuilt (shop built, in our machine shop) skidder.

60's vauxhaul motor, 26 forward, 8 reverse gears, 2 ton rear ends, 12 ply, 20" truck tires, and a winch made from another 2 ton rear end....
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

Steve

Hey Only Bull

I'd really like to see a picture of your home built skidder if you have one. I just love to see what some people can come up with.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Buzz-sawyer

Hey, I am collecting and building a rig just like yours!!!   8) 8)
I have 2 2 ton trucks, and a pto winch too, .............I would love to hear more...........and others would love a post with pics of your rig!! 8) 8)
Don  
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

redpowerd

ahh, why is john deere at the top? ::)
i use a 684 4x4 with a bucket in the woods and the steiger for skidding big trees out of hedgerows up to a landing. :)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Rob

Well Old Timer ,

I guess we are the TF loggers I run a 1976 Tree Farmer C4D but it had some front differential issuses a while back but it'sback up and skidding again. Soon it will be time for a 648G Deere .. Been running a buddies 95 648E grapple sweet machine. Hey keep intouch it's good to know there is another logger from NH here  ;D

Rob

Oldtimer

QuoteWell Old Timer ,

I guess we are the TF loggers I run a 1976 Tree Farmer C4D but it had some front differential issuses a while back but it'sback up and skidding again. Soon it will be time for a 648G Deere .. Been running a buddies 95 648E grapple sweet machine. Hey keep intouch it's good to know there is another logger from NH here  ;D

Rob

Hello Rob. I have seen your co., RCS, advertized all over hell. Hows things?

OneWithWood

I selected dozer because it is the closest to what I actually run - John Deere 450CA Crawler/Loader w/timber winch.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Oldtimer

WOW!!

Seems like a lot of tractors. I have noticed the more frequent posters here have small mills, and tend to skid wood with tractors.

A guy I know has 120 Acres of sweet pine. He had dreams of logging it himself with a Massey Ferguson mini 4x4 tractor. (He wanted it to look good, and make the max return.) He is no where near a logger, and has NO BUSINESS out in the woods with a saw. I advised him to forgo the idea in favor of getting several large logging Cos. to bid on it. That way, it gets done in 2 weeks, it looks like a park (ain't fellerbunchers great?), and he has his money in one lump sum instead of having it trickle in over the course of 10 years time. Even I couldn't give him the results the big guys can. Since he is a friend, I didn't even try to land the job. I did however advise him on stumpage prices, volume, and what should be removed. What are friends for?

Rob

Hey OldTimer ,

Yeah I guess I do advertise all over the place huh..but it helps us little guys need all the exposure we can get.. I'm sure you know how it is. It's hard to compete with the bigger crews in the state  with the bunchers they pay more on the stump than anyone else does down this way cause they can go through the lot faster .
          Things are going ok for me a bit slower than I want but I just picked up 18 house lots in MA so I will be starting them soon.Got a few odd jobs to do a few 10 acre lots and such. Check your messages at the top of the page I'll send you my new email so we can talk more.

Rob

thecfarm

I use a 2120 Ford,about 42hp with a Norse winch on the back.Haven't been doing much selling.I did build a greenhouse out of hemlock for the wife.Have a Thomas band saw mill to make the logs into lumber.Both of the above are a slow with the finished product,but they do come out looking like I know what i am doing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

redpowerd

Quoteit looks like a park (ain't fellerbunchers great?),
careful, some big guys up here will leave your woods looking like ground zero. one big feller/buncher came into a neighboring 60 acre lot and left 75% of the stumps over 8'!
they get so many jobs lined up and rush the ones they work on.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Oldtimer

I can see where a big old disc saw head with skids on the bottom would leave 5-6" of stump minimum, and 8" + if the tree was large enough to bell. Some bar saw heads might leave more. I have asked some guys (loggers and foresters) why it was accepted. They replied it was a nessisary evil. I watched one forester supervised lot get cut by a harvester / forwader combo in winter, and the stumps were 20-25" high in the spring. They didn't seem to care.

They are consistantly more wasteful than a Chain Saw, that I am sure of.

Mostly, I was commenting on how the reach to tree FBs can extract a 20" tree from among a nest of seedlings/saplings with zero damage. The bunches are laid out in the right direction, so rubbing of leave trees is minimized too.

I once figured I could gain 2-3 truck loads of wood per average lot minimum with a FB. Leaning trees by lines, stone walls, property lines, trees surrounded by young growing wood.....all stuff I'd not mess with with just me and my saw/skidder for fear of causing more damage than the tree was worth. Leaving an extra 4-8 " of stump is worth it for the gains it would produce in other areas, IMO.

sandmar

Another John Deere 450C crawler loader here. It has a 4 in 1 bucket that opens like a grapple...don't know what I would do without it  ;)

Sandmar

Ed

New Holland 2120 with a homemade boom pole, if I'm in the open a Bobcat 743 with a clam bucket or forks

Sawyerfortyish

I used a tractor for a long time til a tree tryed to get even with me as I drove by. I got smart real quick went and bought a Timberjack and never regretted it! For those of you that log with farm tractors BE CARFUL..

james

i got an old cat r2 the guy who had it b-4 me replaced the wornout eng with a v6 ford with an automatic trany hooked up to the input shaft of the original 5 spd looks funny but works great 15 gears fwd 3 rev 8) 8) 8)

Frickman

John Deere 440 skidder and Tree Farmer C5D forwarder.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

isawlogs

540C cable , it's a bit on the old side but I stoped working her hard a few years back , now she's about retired only pulls half a dozen or so loads (tractor trailer ) ayear , and the stove wood
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

tiny3

2x 748g skidders and a timbco arch grapple,the pull about 140000 ton a year.
artest formely known as tiny

Thank You Sponsors!