iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

- In the woods fuel tanks -

Started by BargeMonkey, November 30, 2014, 10:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Wondering how big or what style tanks you guys are using for fueling "IN" the woods ?  Ive been contemplating buying a new 100gal at TC and putting a box around it with lifting eyes. You guys have any pictures or where did you buy yours ? I may just leave it on the loader but thinking it may become handy to have. My loader gets buried every job and cant get to it, 5gal pails get old.  :D

thenorthman

If you mean like a skid mount tank? then the old fuel oil barrels are pretty cheap used, 225-275 gallons or so, a factory skid tank new is going to be lots of money.

If you mean back of the truck transfer tank, local co op had a decent deal on both a pump and tank.  I only have a 37 gal tank but then I might burn a total of 15 gallons in one day between the skidder and the backhoe.

I guess what I'm asking is if you burn more then say 1/4 of yer onsite tank in a day you may be better off with a transfer tank, rather then a skid mount tank, cause getting the onsite tank filled could be problematic.

And yes jerry cans are a pain...
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 30, 2014, 10:19:58 AM
Wondering how big or what style tanks you guys are using for fueling "IN" the woods ?  Ive been contemplating buying a new 100gal at TC and putting a box around it with lifting eyes. You guys have any pictures or where did you buy yours ? I may just leave it on the loader but thinking it may become handy to have. My loader gets buried every job and cant get to it, 5gal pails get old.  :D
yea i know what ya mean on the loader.....i think the answer for me is just a longer hose though.

jd540b

Mine is made from an old truck saddle tank.  Super rugged and log grapple picks it up and sets it down really easily.  Also, a cheap build.  Can find those tanks kicking around...

coxy

BG if you  put one in the back of your truck it cant be over 100or 105gal or you have to get stickers from dot and splatter them allover your truck   that's what I was told  :-\  I have a 50gal and a 36gal

coxy

Quote from: coxy on November 30, 2014, 12:13:15 PM
BG if you  put one in the back of your truck it cant be over 100or 105gal or you have to get stickers from dot and splatter them allover your truck   that's what I was told  :-\  I have a 50gal and a 36gal
SORRY SHOULD HAVE READ THE POST A LITTLE BETTER  :D :D

BargeMonkey

Ny law on a truck tank is 112gal max rigidly mounted. 999gal in a trailer. After that you start playing the DOT game legally. Ive got a 50gal L-pack and a 55 cube tank i keep in the truck, with 25ft of 3/4 hose and sometimes i cant get anywhere near the loader.
Im just wondering, ive heard a few of you guys talking about tanks your throwing on the forwarder, im half thinking a new 100gal TC tank, make a box just over sized and rubber pad it so it doesnt collect moisture. Im sceptical of leaving a big tank, had both my bunchers locks busted off and fuel drained a few yrs ago, i know who did it.

thecfarm

The guy that I had cut my land had a tank made at a local welding shop. I have no idea how many gallons. It has a pipe on the top that the grapple on the forwarder can grab onto and bring up into the woods for the hotsaw and the havester.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nate379

We have 2 service trucks, both have ~150 gal fuel tanks with pumps on them.  We try to top off everything in the evening or the morning.  Let it all go empty and that 150 gal wouldn't go far.  The dozer alone is 75 gals, and I think the skidders are 50ish each.

CTL logger

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 30, 2014, 10:19:58 AM
[/quote
Had one of those til this summer it started leaking, they aren't very well built , it had a full roll cage made out of 2 inch heavy wall tubing with one across the top to grab with grapple. But it did last a couple years, had my local weld shop build a new one it's  300 gallon, they put baffles in it a 6 inch pipe to grab with forwarder. It lasts all week in the woods never have to track out for fuel. I think they used 1/4" plate for the tank it's not surrounded by anything, I keep a 990 gallon tank on the job it lasts about 10 days, I have a copy of the law in my truck so if I get stopped transporting it they can't do much about it. What it comes down too is the placard  is combustible liguid not flammable liquid. Diesels Flashpoint is high enough that it can be combustible til 200 some degrees and your carrying less than 999 gallons. I haven't had to defend myself on this yet but if I do I'm prepared.

Dave Shepard

My great-grandfather had a gas pump behind the garage for the school buses. He had someone sneaking in and taking gas at night. He knew who it was. He locked the pump and put five gallons of water in a gas can and put it near the gas pump. Found the car at the end of the driveway in the morning. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

HiTech

I have a 50 gal. tank and pump but most of the time just use a couple 6 gal. diesel fuel jugs. My skidder doesn't drink a whole lot of fuel. The skids aren't too long either and that helps. I've seen the Big Boys with 10 wheel fuel trucks and probably 4,000 gal. tanks. I sometimes think I use more chainsaw gas than diesel fuel. lol Most in my area carry 100 gal. tanks. They have bigger equipment.

tantoy

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 30, 2014, 07:34:52 PM
My great-grandfather had a gas pump behind the garage for the school buses. He had someone sneaking in and taking gas at night. He knew who it was. He locked the pump and put five gallons of water in a gas can and put it near the gas pump. Found the car at the end of the driveway in the morning. :D
Priceless!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

redprospector

I've got several 100 gal. and under transfer tanks. I have one of the rectangular 100 gal. tanks mounted in my truck, and will sometimes screw a second one to a pallet to bootleg extra fuel to a job. I can then lift it off with pallet forks on the Bobcat and move it around where needed. I've thought about welding some channel iron under the tank to eliminate the pallet, but I don't always have the Bobcat around so I have procrastinated...until now.  ;D
I was hauling some bundles of lumber the other day on my flatbed dump trailer (that also has a grapple mounted in the neck). My plan was to just dump the bundles...but, for some reason my dump wouldn't lift. Having learned to be lazy....I mean work smarter, I was determined not to unload that lumber by hand. I cut an 8' 2x4 in half and used them as a "spreader" or what ever you would call them, and rigged a sling out of a 2" ratchet strap, I had that lumber unloaded in no time with the grapple loader. That's when it hit me. I've always got one of my grapple loaders or the Bobcat around, I just need to add a couple of bars to slip under the tank and a sling to the tool box...Problem solved. At least in my mind.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

bill m

If you want take a ride out to western ma. I will sell you a 300 gallon skid tank for a real good price. I am about 50 minutes east of Albany.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

loggah

I had one i made,rectangular held about 60 gallons had a pipe across it so you could pick it up with the loader,it also had ears on it so i could drive the skidder up to it pick it up with the blade and haul it into the woods to my fellerbuncher,worked slick ,and i never took any pictures of it. :-[ ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

tj240

the company i used to work for had a 100 gallon tank that had loops welded to it so you pick it up with a chian. when the loader gets buried, reach out pull it to you fuel up then boom it back. it worked really good but you have to be able to get the truck to where the loader can reach the tank
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

I appreciate all the info, i may track down 1 more skid tank and have a box made for another built. We have tanks registered with the state, so anything that isnt "compliant" would have to stay down to my house. Ive got 12 of those VP race jugs ive thrown in my prowler before but the Timbco can get thirsty.  :D

pwrwagontom

http://www.westerntruckexchange.com/images/600_Gallon_Military_Tank.jpg

I've seen these used a couple of times.  Ex-military, can be found for cheap on government auction.  600 gallon tank with a skid...

-T
Never give an inch

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine has one of those. I think it's all aluminum.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CTL logger

This the woods tank I'm using now holds about 300 gallon has a 20 gpm pump. I had it all built out of 1/4" plate has two baffles inside for support and to keep fuel from sloshing when being moved around. The bracket on the front is for hanging it on my forwarder blade when it's empty, when I haul it back to processor it's on the bunks of forwarder, empty it's on the blade. I painted it blue so we know where it's at in the woods.

pwrwagontom

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 03, 2014, 11:47:51 AM
A friend of mine has one of those. I think it's all aluminum.

All aluminum sounds right...does it seem to work well for forestry applications?

-T
Never give an inch

Dave Shepard

It was on a deuce and a half as a water tank. He hasn't done anything with it so far.

Thank You Sponsors!