iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions Please

Started by luvmexfood, November 30, 2014, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Had one of the tractors in the shop for hydraulic problems and was going to be cost prohibited to fix.

Here is what I want an opinion on. Long story and got some conflicting info from the mechanic that was working on it. He took off a part that basically held all the valves in it and called me asking me to come look at it and wanting to know who had been in it recently. No one had. He showed me a bolt that was around 7/16 and said someone had driven the bolt down into it. Now there was a few marks around it that looked like it was from a ballpeen hammer but the bolt looked like it had been sheared. Head was gone and showed no signs of saw marks. Asked him to get an easyout and at least check and see if the bolt would come out. He never did swearing the threads on the main piece were damaged. he had been off for a week and someone else had worked on it at that shop. I suggested someone had been tapping on it trying to get it loose. On the outside of the body was about a 1/4 inch bolt that worked as a set screw to hold this bolt in place.

Anyway, my question is wouldn't it be awful hard to drive a threaded bolt into a threaded hole of that size?

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Skidder Kev

I would say yes it would be hard, but I have never tried it before haha.  I have seen and used a hammer to hit a seized bolt to try to loosen it tho maybe thats what the other mechanic did?.    If you didn't touch it,then to me, something seems kinda fishy.

Kev

thenorthman

So sounds like someone there broke it when they weren't supposed to be working on it... then to cover their ass blamed it on you...

The other mechanic is only going on what he's been told.

Whatever happens an easy out should be tried first regardless of who done it.
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

M_S_S

Like the others said, it sounds like the shop screwed up. If the bolt was still stuck how could the mechanic tell if the threads were screwed up. Threads can be cleaned up with a tap, or drilled out and retapped to a larger size.  Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

luvmexfood

Having rung the head off a few bolts in my life to me they always seem to leave sort of like a half-moon type remainder on the bolt. Not sure how exactly to describe it. I asked him to try an easy out or if he thought they could get it out I would take it to a machine shop.

I was afraid to take it apart myself. Now that I know what the insides looks like I may tear into it. Did get the owner to lower the labor bill from $400 to $300. What gets my goat is the mechanic wouldn't even try to get it out. May get an easy out and try it. Can pull with it now just no 3 point hitch.

Read on the instructions of one small easy out that you need a left handed drill bit. One that would drill in reverse. Try and find one of them. Have to be ordered.

Just a report from here at mudville. :D

drobertson

Without a doubt it needs someone to get the bolt out, easy out, or whatever way you do it. Those folks seem a bit off to me.  Now if there are ping marks that are pinching the internal threads, these need to be ground out a little with a die grinder and a burr, Then the bolt should come on out.  But everyone knows' about Murphy's Law,  it's usually in full affect at times like this.  Hope it all works out for you,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

1270d

you don't need a left handed bit.  they are handy though, as sometimes the broken bolt will back out as you drill the pilot hole for the easy out.   if the bolt is seized you can drill with left or right twist bits, makes no difference.

beenthere

For sure you need some Blue Creeper.  That stuff will give you a leg-up on whatever is holding this broken bolt in the threads.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Yep, soak it good, get the pilot drill as close to center as possible.  Hardened bolts and soft threads will give grief, slow and steady, squared and true to a good depth.  Just what everyone loves to do ;D  drill out bolts..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thenorthman

Think I used a left hand drill once... wasn't worth the time... Right hand works just fine, if the bolt isn't seized good and tight the drill will force it down until it stops, or through which ever happens first...

I've found that a broken tap ground to a rough but sharp square works just as good as any easy out, and the best thing is a tap costs like $5 where an easy out is like $20. Grind it square with a slow taper stick it in yer favorite tap handle smack the whole works tight works like a charm, plus when yer done and the remains of the bolt are stuck to the "easy out" who cares chuck em all in the trash.
well that didn't work

1270d

i have also broken quite a few easy outs.  I like the ones with the left handed twist better than the tapered drive in ones.

timberlinetree

Broken bolts are about as much fun as running into a bees nest. I had a broken bolt and no electricity so had to use an hand drill( old school you turn your self) it went faster than thought. Good luck with the fix and that stinks about the shop deal.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Ford_man

Take the 1/4 bolt out and look in that hole some times I have seen a set screw in the bottom of the hole and the bolt is to lock that set screw.  good luck

luvmexfood

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. The bolt is broke pretty much flush. Don't think this will work but first thing I may try is to take my little air cutoff tool that has a 3 inch disk and cut a slot for a big screwdriver.

If that don' work I should not have messed the bolt up too much where I can drill and try an easy out. Over on the chainsaw site they were talking about a time-sert set. If I got this bolt out and the threads in the valve body are bad would one of those work? Big question is size. Those sets are a little pricey.

Ford_man

If the bolt is flush or a little bit below I have had good success by laying a nut over it and welding it through the hole. I have had bolts that I had to weld several nuts on before they came out. Good Luck

luvmexfood

Quote from: Ford_man on December 02, 2014, 07:48:49 AM
If the bolt is flush or a little bit below I have had good success by laying a nut over it and welding it through the hole. I have had bolts that I had to weld several nuts on before they came out. Good Luck

Good idea. I had thought about trying to weld a bolt on it but didn't think about a nut. Could weld through the center and not have to worry about the outside like you would with a bolt. And the piece is big enough so there shouldn't be a problem with heat ruining anything else.

That's one thing that is so great about this forum. Can get tips on things from different people that can tell you what they have had sucess with before.

Thank You Sponsors!