iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawdust and wood from processor

Started by drlewis, November 30, 2014, 08:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drlewis

what can the sawdust and  small wood pieces that are left over be used for. we make alot per week.trying to market everything. thanks dan

r.man

If the price was reasonable and it was easy to get I would try burning the small leftovers in the OWB. I have done it with my own hand processed leftovers. Burns well and can be loaded into the stove with a shovel. Farmers and animal owners might buy the sawdust for bedding depending on the local supply of alternatives and the species/convenience/cost/dryness/fineness/consistency or the product. In some places it is a waste product, in others it is marketable. I think locally hardwood sawdust is about 20 dollars a ton, mill will load. Where are you located Dan?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

glassman_48

drlewis,
My secretary has come and gotten some of my sawdust for her cows and horses.  I read somewhere that oak sawdust is not good for some type of animal,,,,horse maybe??  I cut a lot of oak so she wont use it anymore.  If I can remember I will ask her what animal the oak sawdust was not good for. 

drlewis

i am in snh i do save alot of the splitter pieces and use them for fire starters,,and all mine is hardwood saw dust and is mixed with small wood from the clean out grate. didnt know if you could grind them up for something . dan

NWP

I sell all the sawdust to a lady that uses it for horses and composting. All the cut offs go to my OWB. I do sell a few loads of the cut offs but I make sure to save myself enough.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

beenthere

QuoteI read somewhere that oak sawdust is not good for some type of animal,,,,horse maybe??  I cut a lot of oak so she wont use it anymore.

I think it is black walnut in the horse bedding that is not good for them, as it can cause laminitis which may result in crippling or death.
But don't think it is oak.

http://www.ans.msu.edu/uploads/files/Trees.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Some might buy the small pieces to get a fire going,but they would have to be dry. Put so much into a grain bag. This way it would be easy to handle for you and the customer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I was always told not to use green hardwood sawdust for dairy cows. It can cause mastitis.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

glassman_48

beenthere,
I just googled "oak sawdust for horse bedding" and the 4th topic from the top "oak sawdust e how" is probably where I found where they said don't use for horses, cows, etc.  Something about tannin in the oak.  I don't know how to put a "link" on here but that must be what I remember.   

Woodcutter_Mo

I kind of figured the company's that make the heating pellets would buy a lot of the sawdust and scrap from the big processors.  ???
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Thank You Sponsors!