iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CB E Classic 1400 - Manual / Schematics.

Started by upsnake, November 30, 2014, 08:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upsnake

I have misplaced my owner guide for my e classic, and before spending the 20 dollars to get a new one, I was just wondering if the book contained any wiring schematics.

I have the wiring diagrams that are posted on back on door by the solenoids, and on the back of the control board, but looking for the actual schematics.

My boiler was blowing fuses the other day, and after 4 hours of tearing things apart finally got it tracked down to the transformer that runs the LED light circuit. In the meantime I just disconnected the lights so that I can still use my boiler, but need to trouble the lights soon and trying to figure out if the transformer just died or something in the light systems has gone bad and taken out the transformer, a wiring schematic would really help that process.

Thanks

Roger2561

Quote from: upsnake on November 30, 2014, 08:28:45 AM
I have misplaced my owner guide for my e classic, and before spending the 20 dollars to get a new one, I was just wondering if the book contained any wiring schematics.

I have the wiring diagrams that are posted on back on door by the solenoids, and on the back of the control board, but looking for the actual schematics.

My boiler was blowing fuses the other day, and after 4 hours of tearing things apart finally got it tracked down to the transformer that runs the LED light circuit. In the meantime I just disconnected the lights so that I can still use my boiler, but need to trouble the lights soon and trying to figure out if the transformer just died or something in the light systems has gone bad and taken out the transformer, a wiring schematic would really help that process.

Thanks

I have my copy of the operators manual and it only shows the wiring diagrams you mention in your message.  It does not show an actual schematic.  I hope you get it figured out.  Have you tried your CB dealer to see what he/she has to offer?  Roger
Roger

upsnake

Thanks for checking Roger.

I will just have to keep going with the wiring diagram.

I have the boiler working just no lights. I will take a look at the lights next weekend probably.

The few times I have talked to the the dealer / CB they don't seem to be too keen on helping DIY fixes.

Roger2561

upsnake;  I meant to ask yesterday; what transformer runs the light circuit?  Is it the one in the rear air box where the solenoids are located?  I'm slowly gathering extra parts for mine in the event something fails I can quickly change it out and continue to heat my house with minimal interruption.  Thanks, Roger 
Roger

boilerman101

Hey Upsnake and Roger, I haven't been on for a while.
Upsnake, if I remember right you have an older E2300.
That transformer that failed may have burned out due to a failed LED.
Unplug the rafter and door LED's and ohm them out.
If any test under 1,000 ohms it is bad.
I believe CB now has a fuse kit that should be installed when you replace the transformer so that if a LED goes bad again in the future only the fuse will blow and everything else should keep on running. I'd check with your dealer on that.
CB also has a different secondary air box and refractory that goes into the bottom of the E2300 and E1400 firebox. You take out all the firebox brick and grates and replace with this kit. Sounds like it works real good.
I also found that CB has added a  feature to their centralboiler.com website where we can download our owners manuals when we misplace them. Found mine under "owner resources". Just had to enter the serial number from my furnace. Mine downloaded in 2 parts. My wiring diagrams are found in the back of part 2 yours would probably be the same. Hope this helps and good burning.

upsnake

Roger. Yea it is the transformer in the back, above the solenoids.

What we did to figure out what was wrong, was disconnect all the solenoids, then pulled the power box out (where the plug is and the fuse and the switch, took the wire off the outside of the fuse and then ohm tested that to ground. We were coming up with a direct short, so we kept disconnecting components, (including the control board) until we got to to no ohms.

Then started putting things back into the mix one by one, until we hit the direct short again. 

With the transformer and the lights hooked up it would short out.
It appears that the transformer gets the power post fuse, sends that up behind the board, then powers the light switch and photo sensor, then from there there is also a relay in there, (I would assume knocking the power down to usable source for the Leds? maybe. I ran out of time looking at it once I figured out I could disconnect the lights and make it work.

Boilerman, thanks, I have the 1400, it had been chugging right along until that.
I haven;t had a chance to go back out and look at it again. Good to know on the ohm range for the leds, I certainly didn't want to just drop a new transformer in there with out trying to figure out what caused it to go. Haha

Thanks for the info on the manuals I will have to go check that out.
I saw on the website that they have a new control board that does wifi temperature monitoring but it was like 700 dollars. :( haha.

upsnake

I was just looking through the owners manuals, and they show a circuit breaker rather than a fuse.
Man that would be nice. (not that I blow fuses that often I guess but when it does). Haha

Roger2561

Quote from: boilerman101 on December 01, 2014, 07:07:54 PM
Hey Upsnake and Roger, I haven't been on for a while.
Upsnake, if I remember right you have an older E2300.
That transformer that failed may have burned out due to a failed LED.
Unplug the rafter and door LED's and ohm them out.
If any test under 1,000 ohms it is bad.
I believe CB now has a fuse kit that should be installed when you replace the transformer so that if a LED goes bad again in the future only the fuse will blow and everything else should keep on running. I'd check with your dealer on that.
CB also has a different secondary air box and refractory that goes into the bottom of the E2300 and E1400 firebox. You take out all the firebox brick and grates and replace with this kit. Sounds like it works real good.
I also found that CB has added a  feature to their centralboiler.com website where we can download our owners manuals when we misplace them. Found mine under "owner resources". Just had to enter the serial number from my furnace. Mine downloaded in 2 parts. My wiring diagrams are found in the back of part 2 yours would probably be the same. Hope this helps and good burning.

boilerman101 - Thanks for the info of how to test the LED's to see if they are bad. 

I had heard that CB came out with a new refractory for the E-Classic 1400 and more.  The refractory panel in my firebox is supposed to be two pieces that join at the center with slots in the center where the metal grates (3, 1inch X 8inch black pipe)are to be placed.  I'll need to replace them mid-winter due to the fire burning through them.  The reason I say it's supposed to be two pieces is that it has broken into 5 pieces (this is my 4th season heating with it).  I'm do not know why it broke but CB told me not to worry too much about it as long as the seams are tight when I put them back in the firebox.  I remove them every spring when I thoroughly clean it before I tuck it in for the summer.  Is this new refractory to replace the one I presently have in the firebox?   Thanks.  Roger     
Roger

upsnake

Trying to isolate the LED from the transformer.

Could I put an inline fuse after the secondary side of the transformer.
The voltage should be down to 24 at that point.

Something like this
http://www.amazon.com/In-line-ATO-ATC-Fuse-Holder/dp/B003N8SD9G

Then use the correct size fuse for amps?

I have not had a chance to test the lights or the transformer yet, nor have I looked for the part number of the transformer to see the cost of it.

Rather than restocking up on ACG fuses, would I be able to replace the fuse with a resettable breaker?
Something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circuit-Breaker-Panel-Mount-5-Amp-CARLING-/110923486725

Thank You Sponsors!