iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Size for saw dust blower

Started by Brad_bb, November 29, 2014, 07:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Having my new mill inside and having an MP100 planing head as well, I'd like to look into dust collection.  Rather just getting the dust outside in a bin or pile.  I have 220V single phase available.  I'll only be exhausting one machine at a time.  How much CFM do I need?  HP?  Can I do it with single phase?  Any specific recommendations?  I was watching one youtube vid where a sawyer mentions having a Cincinnati 1.5 hp blower.  I found one under that name on ebay, but now sure if that is what they are using.  It has a Baldor motor and aluminum housing on the blower.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Brad_bb

Some of you guys out there must be extracting dust with a blower into a bin outside?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

drobertson

There are some threads on this, not sure how far back but quite a few,, single phase just cost more to run, and I am thinking 2hp might be the minimum. It depends so much on the length of the run and header, elbows and gates,  and a few more items, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dblair

there's a lot of information out on the internet about this . I looked this up and found it interesting .
http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/staticcalc_faqs.cfm
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Chuck White

Look in some of the members galleries.

There are some who have sawdust blowers hooked up to their LT-40's that actually pipe the sawdust into huge piles, some distance from the sawshed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

Quote from: Chuck White on December 04, 2014, 10:02:29 AM

There are some who have sawdust blowers hooked up to their LT-40's that actually pipe the sawdust into huge piles, some distance from the sawshed!

Guilty.. 8)  Here's mine.

You will find that hooking a blower to a bandmill will require more than a little backyard engineering. Flex hose won't last very long and it's pricey.
The blower is a 2 hp single phase unit from a harbor freight shop dust collector. 5 inch inlet and outlet. The metal pipe is hardware store six inch stove pipe..There's 3 homemade swivel joints in the inlet pipe, one on the blower, one in the middle and one on the mill head. This setup not only gets rid of the the sawdust, it also gets all the pieces and parts above head height, out of the way..
If you go this route, be prepared to replace the on/off switch on the harbor freight blower.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

blade69001

Quote from: pineywoods on December 04, 2014, 02:40:48 PM

If you go this route, be prepared to replace the on/off switch on the harbor freight blower.

Good to know about the HF dc blowers I run three of them, two in a tandem set up that allows me to run my resaw constantly without having to change collection bags.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Foxtrapper

I will be moving the lt28 into a shed of some sort in the next few months.  Have thought long and hard about hooking up a blower to remove the sawdust.  But, i'm not to keen on having more stuff to walk around and trip over, so i'm not sure how I want to do this.  I have thought of making a conveyor to remove it with, but I dunno, maybe more pain than it's worth.  Of course I also have 3 helpers who can do the job with a shovel and wheelbarrow if needed... 8)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Glenn1

Pineywoods, are you using a single blower?  What do you estimate your total run to be? 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

pineywoods

Quote from: Glenn1 on December 04, 2014, 09:29:28 PM
Pineywoods, are you using a single blower?  What do you estimate your total run to be?

Yes, a single blower. There's about 15 feet with 4 elbows on the intake side, leading to the blower, which is mounted under the rafters about 8 feet up. The output side is a straight pipe about 20 feet, so a total of about 35 feet. . Large chunks of pine bark and stringy cedar bark will occasionally plug up the screen on the intake of the blower. I left the screen in place, better to plug up there where it's easy to get to than inside the blower. Otherwise, it handles everything the lt40 can throw at it. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

YellowHammer

Quote from: Chuck White on December 04, 2014, 10:02:29 AM

Here's mine. Very simple, no maintenance, and between the mill and the planer I normally fill the 3 cubic yard trailer most every weekend.  Makes the sawdust problem just about become a bad memory. The key to a long life system is to have a swivel of some kind on the inlet side so that the saw traversing back and forth doesn't kink or stress the plastic dust hose.  I'm using a basic 110V stand alone dust collector blower.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

Wow YH! Some of that sawdust actually looks like it landed in the trailer!  ;) ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

Below is the system that I rigged up at the mill I learned to saw on. It collects from the egder and planer as well. The piping for the mill is 4", and I made my own swivel out of a gasketed SDR fitting with the rubber gasket pulled out. You can see a spring that goes between the green pipe and the white fitting. The spring keeps it together, and keeps it centered somewhat. Not only does dust collection save a lot of shoveling, but it also cuts way down on the airborne dust. It was really awful to saw red oak in there before the vac was installed, but after, you could hardly see any dust in the air at all.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Dave, that looks to be a serious blower!  nice! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 05, 2014, 11:51:59 AM
Below is the system that I rigged up at the mill I learned to saw on. It collects from the egder and planer as well. The piping for the mill is 4", and I made my own swivel out of a gasketed SDR fitting with the rubber gasket pulled out. You can see a spring that goes between the green pipe and the white fitting. The spring keeps it together, and keeps it centered somewhat. Not only does dust collection save a lot of shoveling, but it also cuts way down on the airborne dust. It was really awful to saw red oak in there before the vac was installed, but after, you could hardly see any dust in the air at all.

Does it freeze up in the winter?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

We never had any problems with freezing. Sometimes, if you were sawing really fresh pine, it would clog a little in the flexible pipe. After the building was built where the blower is, they did some really stupid piping to get to the trailer. The had a 180 turn on top of the blower going down into the slab, and a 90 there going out to the trailer. I would have gone through the roof and put a 90 then straight to the trailer. Also, they put a 7.5 hp electric motor on it, and it really wanted at least a 10, if not a 15 hp. It never worked as well after they did all that to it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

Quote from: barbender on December 04, 2014, 10:15:17 PM
Wow YH! Some of that sawdust actually looks like it landed in the trailer!  ;) ;D
:D :D When the wind is blowing hard, it never even gets close to the trailer. :D But the wind wasn't much of a factor here, this was just a "close is good enough" ;D

I used to just let the sawdust fly onto the ground and let it pile high up to the discharge chute.  For some reason I never had time to pick it up and it would just get out of control. You can still see the outline of the dead grass that got nuked by the old sawdust pile. It isn't even trying to grow back after a couple years.  Now I just pick the whole trailer up with the forks and dump it like a bucket prior to a day's sawing. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!