Dusting the old dooryard tonight.

Started by chester_tree _farmah, November 29, 2014, 07:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

lopet

Looking good  8) Now you need a couple lights at the front shining down to the blade and a couple more shining to both sides then you're good to go. :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

Dooryard? Or landing? My dooryard is not even froze yet. I would make a mess with that,knowing me.   ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chester_tree _farmah

Lol. Not sure the old wiring can handle all that candle power Lopet. :-)

The extended door yard Ray.   She's frozen on the high ground up here.  I had to lift my blade on the plow buggy to plow the last storm. Glad I did plow it. It can be a crap shoot sometimes. U plow too soon and u end up with ice if it turns to rain. She's frozen solid tonight.   Bout 12 here now.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Maine logger88

Looks good! I gotta get lights hooked up on my machines just got 6 4.5" LEDs off eBay just gotta hook them up lol. Does that have the winch behind the seat? What's that have for an engine?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

chester_tree _farmah

Yeah it looks better in the night but looks aren't everything.  :-)

Yes ML88 - It has a Gear magic 9 behind the seat. I hope to move it to the back section but it works for now. It was re-engined with a 75 Ford 300 six industrial. The industrial version has a forged crank, timing gears instead of timing chains etc. Plenty of grunt and not to bad on fuel since it does not have to work to hard with the low gearing.

The front pump cover sticks out there because somebody swapped in an old Gresson pump that was little to big dimensions wise.

I only have about 4000 in it now with my tinkering to date so I can't complain..... to much. Lol
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

BargeMonkey

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on November 30, 2014, 09:34:31 AM
Pretty isnt everything, having a skidder to plow the house out is the only way to go way up there.  :D

barbender

You new englanders, I feel like I need an interpreter when you get in a group ;D What's a "dooryard"?
Too many irons in the fire

Maine logger88

Yeah it will pull just as much wood without shiny paint as it will without. That 300-6 must have quite abit more power than the original ford. My uncle has one like that with the winch behind the seat. He bought it in 72 used it full time up in till a few years ago and he still uses it 6mo out of the year. He put an air cooled diesel out of a belarus in his I guess it works good from what he says. Man that was a steal wouldn't have to pull much wood to pay back 4k
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

chester_tree _farmah

Lol. I do tend to exaggerate the local dialect on here when I can. I get a kick out of it myself I guess.

Door yard is more local to Northern Maine. It is basically your driveway and parking area.

Another would be the rollway which is usually known as the bulkhead leading to your basement in most parts.

If u whine about the cold you are called spleeny around here. An example would be "Wholly O jesus it is cold out there! I must be getting spleeny in my old age!"

Pardon the use of the Lord's name but it is used very very often in regular conversation around here.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 30, 2014, 10:22:49 AM
Pretty isnt everything, having a skidder to plow the house out is the only way to go way up there.  :D

Yeah it is handy. I use my plow truck for most plowing and the skidder to move piles and banks back when needed. I have used it to break the road open a few times when ice on the top makes it impossible with the pickup.

This is what is locally and affectionately known as my plow buggy in local speak. :-)

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 30, 2014, 10:42:46 AM
Yeah it will pull just as much wood without shiny paint as it will without. That 300-6 must have quite abit more power than the original ford. My uncle has one like that with the winch behind the seat. He bought it in 72 used it full time up in till a few years ago and he still uses it 6mo out of the year. He put an air cooled diesel out of a belarus in his I guess it works good from what he says. Man that was a steal wouldn't have to pull much wood to pay back 4k

Nice! Yeah the old iron keeps going and going with a little care. You can pop about anything into these old machines with a torch and welder.  Nice and simple.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

lopet

Ha, ha    I am still learning about all those different dialects, but figured I new what you meant by " door yard " ;)
Or in a other thread a " dust pan " . That's even better  ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

barbender

I kind of gathered what you meant by dooryard from context, I just had to point out the regional difference ;D It's cold here today, and I do feel a bit "spleeny". We have plenty of local phrases up here no doubt, I can't thi k of any offhand- mostly we just pronounce words in a way that sounds strange to others :D Someone was pointing out the other day, we pronounce "t's" as "d's". As in "butter", we pronounce it "budder".  "Better" is "bedder", and we make sure and prounounce our "r's" very heavily on the end of word, very unlike you nor'easters  "nor'eastuhs" ;D
     I met a fellow once who was a missionary to Japan, who was native to Maine. His name was John Mahar, he pronounced it "Mu-hah". He said were he lived in Japan was on a "peninsular", he told a story out of the Bible about "Mary and Marthar", I got a kick out of it. They put us on their mailing list, I told him my last name- Alger. I still get updates from him to this day, addressed to "The Alges" :D

Maine372

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on November 30, 2014, 10:44:43 AMPardon the use of the Lord's name but it is used very very often in regular conversation around here.

well, after all, it is god's country!

WmFritz

I was watching an episode of the Maine Game Wardens (I forget the name... Northern something Law),  they were talking about Canucks that sneak across the border to poach moose. The Maine locals call them 'Cruster's' after the top layer of snow that freezes hard enough to walk on without breaking through.   :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

barbender

Two Mainers looking at a moose gut pile- "crusters"..."ayup" ;D 

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on November 30, 2014, 10:53:10 AM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 30, 2014, 10:22:49 AM

Yeah it is handy. I use my plow truck for most plowing and the skidder to move piles and banks back when needed. I have used it to break the road open a few times when ice on the top makes it impossible with the pickup.

This is what is locally and affectionately known as my plow buggy in local speak. :-)

Plow Buggy? Looks more like a Yard Truck to me.... :D

Another thing folks here might not get 'bout Maine....a house with 2-5 front doors..... all of them leading out to the dooryard.....My last house had 4, this one's got 3..>One into the main part of the house, one into the kitchen, one into the Ell......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

chester_tree _farmah

Hmm maybe that is where door yard comes from?

Oh she's a cockah of a yaaad truck old boy. She dusts ah right on back!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!