iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nancy's New Display Cabinet Started

Started by Andy White, November 29, 2014, 05:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Started the new cabinet last week, after unloading the Red Oak from the kiln. I will make this,

Using this,

And these!!

Ripped and crosscut the top boards from the best grain boards, and jointed with the #7 and smoothed with the #5, #6, and the #4. These 8 footers are a real challenge to get flat and straight on my bench, because it's only 6'-8"long. After that exercise, time to glue and clamp.

After drying, it was time to smooth out the seams of squeeze out. I had a helper that liked to run the #80 smoothing machine. She done really well too!

This weekend project is to cut and dry fit the face frame pieces, and bottom skirt. It sure is quiet in the shop nowdays, and the fourman loves it. Now for the rabbets and fillisters.

These turned out good, so now to the mortices and tennons on the stiles and bottom rail.

These sure are nice to do when you have good sharp tools. All are "piston" fit, and shoulders are really crisp. This should turn out good.

More next week when we get back up here.
Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

tule peak timber

A labor of love to say the least. Great pics Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Hilltop366

This will be fun to watch, I do like the quietness of the hand tools but don't seem to have the patients to do it that way when there is a electric one right there.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very good pics Andy. I'm hooked on this thread now. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Looking good Andy.  You made me go back and find the Foreman.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dablack

I didn't see that puppy in Nancy's lap until Lynn said something. 

I love these threads.  The best part is the shot of the tool and seeing what it does.  I've never used tools like that so that is really educational for me.  Great stuff. 

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Andy White

More progress today on the cabinet. Been thinking about beading the stiles and rails on the doors and end panels for a refined look. Started by sharpening and polishing the cutters of the tools I will need for today.

After that was done, I setup the tools for the grooves and beads that I need.

After doing the setup, I cut a trial joint on some scrap to get the sequence of steps figured out. Cut groove for panel, and bead on frame. I didn't cut the mortice and tennon for this practice joint, but the real one will have them done. Cut beads and grooves on stiles and rails, then morticed and cut tennons.

Yes, that pig sticker is sharp, and will chop a 1" deep mortice in two passes! Next was to build a "shooting saddle" to slice the beads on 45's for the corners. This takes a really sharp chisel!

This one was made on the table saw, with a block of Cherry scrap, but I won't tell. Fit it to the bead where it goes, and slice the lips of the groove, and it looks like this.

After finishing the stiles and rails, time to glue up the boards for the end panel.

Tomorrow, I will try to "raise a panel" with a bench plane! This will be a real workout for sure. Will post the resulst when done with it.  8) 8) 8) smiley_smash smiley_smash smiley_thumbsup
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

You are doing it the old fashioned way.  Very nice work.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lowpolyjoe

Great thread - play-by-play pics are awesome!

Andy White

Today started off a disaster for me. Finished the stiles and rails and started to bead them when I realized that I did not add the 1/2" length to them for the miter cuts. I will just cut a stop bead on them instead of building more frames. They look good, but the doors will have the mitered beads, because I Made A Large Note  on the sketch.

Next disaster was the camera said "No Memory" , so I thought it was broken. I started "raising the panel" with the #4 and stair saw. After it was complete, Nancy came to look at it, and tried to take a picture, and I told her the camera was broke. She turned it on, and looked at me funny, and said "the chip is missing!". I forgot it in the laptop last night!!!

Next time, I will show the procedure for cutting and raising the other end panel. Don't forget the chip!! :-\ :-\ :-\ ;D    Andy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Andy, this is some really neat work. The QS wood os gorgeous!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LaneC

This is really nice, please keep us updated.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Andy White

Today was " raising" day for the other end panel. Start by putting frame together for an accurate measurement for panel.

Next is cutting rough stock and dressing them down to approximate thickness.

Glue op and clamp till dry.

When dry, finish to size and thickness, and layout field for the panel.

Next is get a batten and clamp- as guide along line.

Now, set depth of field by adding thickness of batten and depth you want it to be, and set the saw blade depth, then place along batten and saw till it quits cutting.

Now comes the tricky  part. Take the shoulder plane, and very carefully hold the edge in the saw kerf, and shave a pass on the cross grain end of panel. You are establishing a place for the bench plane to cut, as the blade is set in 3/16" 0n my #4. When you have it cut down a little, take the 4 and start shaving the end at a skew to help with tear out. I will get a skew bench plane for this because I had a little tear out on this one.

Repeat the operation on other end, and both sides, and a little sweat, and you will have one of these.

A little sanding and scraping, and install in frame. Nothing to it!!!  HA

That is all the Oak parts for the lower cabinet. Next will be internals, floor and back frames and partitions, will be secondary wood, Poplar or Pine? That should go really fast. 8) 8) 8)
More later       Andy

LaneC

That is very nice of you to share that. That will be a very nice piece of furniture. I am learning and thankful of you putting up the steps and pictures. How in the world did you get the panel to be so crisp at the 45's on the ends of the panel? Where the vertical and horizontal meet at the top and bottom of the panel. Is that what they call a stair saw?

Andy White

LaneC,
The stair saw, or dado saw is the little short saw with the blade that can be extended or retracted for different cutting depths. It has a 9TPI crosscut filing. The shoulders will automaticaly come out that way if you make the field scoring cuts and cut to the kerf on the top and the 1/4" gauged line on the edge of the panel. The gauged line is from the back of the panel, it is the tongue that fits on the groove around the frame. Just keep the plane strokes smooth and continual thru the whole shave cut. You can adjust a little with the block plane if needed.      Andy.

LaneC

OK, thanks a bunch, that clears it up.

WDH

Raising that panel with hand tools is really cool.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Swatson

Very impressive work.  The patience to work with hand tools is one characteristic that the Creator did not bless me with.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Bill Gaiche

Nice job Andy. I say one thing is that you have more patience than me to do it with all hand tools. bg

samandothers

WOW  :o

Thank you for sharing!  You are blessed with great talents!

Magicman

Terrific job and tutorial Andy.  Probably about the same way my Grandpa did it.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Martha White Nelson

Wonderful hand work, Andy!  Sure will look nice in your living room.
Martha

hackberry jake

Quote from: Swatson on December 14, 2014, 10:02:54 PM
Very impressive work.  The patience to work with hand tools is one characteristic that the Creator did not bless me with.
Your're not the only one.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!