iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

...ruh ro...I have done been tempted...

Started by CCC4, November 29, 2014, 01:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

After 9 years in a saw cab I vowed to NEVER saw again...and now this happens! I was offered to come out and train on a new high production dual cut band saw rig. It is being currently set up about 15 mins from my house. The sawmill owner knows me and knows of my work.

Oh man this is tempting...I always wanted to run one of those WFO just for the adrenaline rush. I only have a little over 1,100 hours on portable bandsawmills such as the LT 40's and Super Hydro 50's...I must say this has me twitchy for sure!

Skidder Kev

It sounds like a tough decision for you, I know you were wanting to go to the west coast to cut, but maybe this is a chance to stay close to home (maybe more money?) and still be close to your son.  I have had other job offers and talked it over with my wife and she always said "do what makes you happy and what you love"   I don't know if this helps you out or not but you will figure it out. 

Kev

CCC4

I really never thought I would be interested in sawing again. There are several appealing things about this, location, pay wages, and the fact that IDK of a sawyer in my area that has run one of these before. This should be one of the first in about a 150 miles circle.

Maybe I will wade down there and see if I still have it and make my decision from there. My thoughts as of now are around a 25 out of 100 as far as interest. I would rather stay falling but...I know oak sawyers clear over $1,000 a week here...dangit...

Skidder Kev

No harm in going down and checking it out.   

RayMO

Give it a shot or you will never know for sure. The older a person gets the better that type of job looks . You gotta think about your future ya know lol .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

treeslayer2003

Quote from: CCC4 on November 29, 2014, 02:37:55 PM
I really never thought I would be interested in sawing again. There are several appealing things about this, location, pay wages, and the fact that IDK of a sawyer in my area that has run one of these before. This should be one of the first in about a 150 miles circle.

Maybe I will wade down there and see if I still have it and make my decision from there. My thoughts as of now are around a 25 out of 100 as far as interest. I would rather stay falling but...I know oak sawyers clear over $1,000 a week here...dangit...
sounds like good money brody

Southside

Think of your body too.  Like you said, its not "IF" we get hurt, its "When".  You can always fell on the weekends if the itch is there, I am sure you would not have an issue getting work.  Being on the leading edge of something can really set you up to write your own ticket.  What sort of production will this mill be doing?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

CCC4

Cutting some really tech shots today on a knife back ridge...no real escape routes...adrenaline rushing through my veins...the challenge...the life...

I would be bored to death getting back into a saw cab! ...I can't leave this...I'm like a cribbing horse.

IcePick

Thousand a week?  If I were you, I'd go back to it, see how it goes.  Sounds like easier money to be made compared to falling...but I completely understand not wanting to give up on falling...tough to do.
Trying to support myself and a family working with trees since 1998.

Southside

Well bud do you have any videos to share the rush??
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!