iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats on my mind..

Started by tree-farmer, November 29, 2014, 07:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

During this time of year with family gatherings I would encourage folks make an effort to share and pass along faimily stories. It is to easy to get caught up in "entertainment" of the moment (football, smart phones etc) an miss the chance to pass along something important. I cherish the stories that were given to me, and wish I had paid more attention to some of the details. Don't worry about repeating them, it helps with memory to hear it more than once. Every year I make a point of re-telling dads story of being shelled by in WW2 on Thanksgiving day,(destroyed the first hot meal he had seen in weeks). Younger ones need to know what went before to have some appreciation of how things got to be the way they are now, the good and the bad, its all part of their story.
These are what make family bonds, family  stories are as much a part of you as your DNA. We stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before and they are not truly gone until the last time a living person speaks their name.
There is a book by JoAnn Carson called "stories I ani't told nobody yet", if you can find a copy I recomend it. She does a great job of capturing what I'm trying to say here.
That my 2 cents worth.....
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

chain

Very well said, Tree Farmer. Our ancestors came from the Catawba area of Western North Carolina. The family stories that have been handed down generation after generation, but today, the children and young folks give a blank stare, and maybe a nod, before quickly continuing  their undivided interest in "smart" ?-phones. 

thurlow

I agree with the telling and re-telling, but would add:  write them down and perhaps video them.  Bought our first camcorder in the late '80s and have a few  minutes of my maternal grand-ma. (transferred the VHS over to DVD a couple of years ago)  Been marriet  8) almost 49 years and am STILL childless, but am close to nieces and nephews.   We are their only 'grandparents'.  Typed several dozen pages of what our early life was like for them a few years ago;  in addition to giving them copies, I've kept them in my files.  One niece is a senior in college and has a paper due in December on "My family's religious history";  wound up typing 17 pages for her....stuff I either know or have been told.  I'd give anything to have more things from my grandparents and earlier generations..........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

pineywoods

Treefarmer I know exactly of what you speak. I have suddenly realized that I AM THE OLDER GENERATION...and I didn't take the time to listen to and document the history and stories of my ancestors. A few years ago, I got interested in the family geneology and in the process of compiling as much data as possible, I did uncover a few tidbits of interesting information. Like how great great grandpa used to move his mailbox a few yards across the state line to have a different address and thus confuse the tax man. He had a farm on the NC SC border between anson county NC and Chesterfield co SC.
For some interesting reading, google "battle of almace creek". Likely some of your fore bearers were involved. Mine were...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

r.man

Piney you have to remember that they will mostly be interested in your early life because they knew you. Document that and tell your stories. The other stuff is good but the first hand closer stuff is better.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

WH_Conley

We live out in the sticks, no cell service. We had our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. I noticed what was said about the smart phones. There was more conversation at the meal and afterwards than there had been for years. It helps when the wireless router is in a locked office and just happens to get turned off. ;D
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!