iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grit size when sharpening

Started by billy_wizz, November 29, 2014, 06:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy_wizz

Just wondering how fine people go when sharpening slicks and chisels?
   Is it a case of as fine as you can get or does there come a point when your sharpening for the sake of sharpening with little or no benefit?

Seaman

Grits are pretty sharp with  BUTTER...SALT...PEPPER ....CHEESE..AND SHRIMP !

Sorry Billy, couldn't resist  8)
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

shinnlinger

I usually go to 180 in the belt sander sharpening rig in these posts.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,79238.0.html

Sometimes 220 for a framing chisel or lathe tool.   400 for small carving tools. and then finish with a felt wheel buff of the grey buffing compund.

Works for me.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

danreed76

Billy:

There's a lot of thoughts on the forum regarding proper sharpening.  Personally, I like to use a series of stones depending on how much work the edge needs.  I use a 325 grit to set the angle on the edge on the tool, 600 to clean it up, the fine tune with a 4000 and 8000 grit water stone and polish it off with a leather strop and some honing compound. If I don't inflict any unusual damage to the edge, I can typically drag it across the strop a couple times a day to maintain the edge and just give it a quick run across the water stones before I put them up at the end of the day.

Dan

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Dave Shepard

I use DMT diamonds for initial sharpening, and finish on a King 8000 Japanese water stone. You should be able to shave the hair off your arm with either the chisel or slick. Angle of the edge is the only difference. Because it is not struck, the slick can have a much lower angle. I sharpen mine to a 25° primary and 27° micro bevel.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!