iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with wiring a snap thermostat?

Started by Stihl a Girl, November 28, 2014, 02:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stihl a Girl

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for help for a friend. He has a wood burner in his basement and just replaced his old gas furnace with a high efficiency gas furnace and is planning to again run the heat from the wood stove to the plenum above the gas furnace.

He wants to again run a snap thermostat to the HE gas furnace to use that blower to blow heat from the wood stove, but this new furnace has too many wires and he's worried about running into one of the safety features and frying something out.

Can he run the thermostat wires into the 2 power wires (black and white) just below the fan? I'd post a pic of the furnace diagram, but I'm still working on how to do that.

Can anyone advise? He's having a hard time finding anyone around here that can help. Thanks!

AsaG

No need to bother with 120V connections or tapping into the furnace's factory wiring.  Just connect the thermostat between the 'R' and 'G' terminals on the furnace control board.  There is, most likely, already a red and green wire connected the each respective terminal so the house thermostat can control the blower.

beenthere

As AsaG says.

For sure don't hook thermostat wires to power wires (black and white) or for sure he will be frying something out.. Until he understands well, best not to hook anything up.

Welcome to the forestry forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stihl a Girl

Thanks guys! I'll mention that to him. That is how I hooked up my own secondary thermostat when we installed an OWB, this 'snap' sounded a bit different. But I'm still learning and electricity is not my thing.

As it is, when I hook up the secondary thermostat in the winter, I have to disconnect the C/A wires from Y and C otherwise that starts running whenever the furnace fan kicks on.

woodmills1

some thermostats have a fan only setting
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!