iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite Super2

Started by FayettesFinest, November 27, 2014, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FayettesFinest

I'm currently using an old Homelite Super2 that I borrowed off my uncle. It starts and runs great.....if it's upright. Yesterday, I turned it on it's side while limbing a big locust and it started bellowing smoke and shut off. Any idea what the issue may be? I'm afraid to booger up someone else's saw. It cuts like an animal when it's upright, but it doesn't run or cut for anything when it's on it's side. Thanks!
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

chet

Check the hoses in the chain oil tank. Sounds like the duck-bill valve fell off the pressure hose.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sawguy21

:D Chet knows his Super 2. They are NLA from Homelite but still available from Oregon. Great camp saw, I have one that I need to get running.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chet

Doing tree work over da years I've had more than a few folks drag them out of da garage and ask "what's wrong with my Dang saw."  :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

FayettesFinest

I know it's been a while, but I think I found my problem. Was using it the other day and it was smoking like a freight train and started puking oil out of every little gap in the case. I just pulled the saw apart and it appears that the clutch assembly has been rubbing against the oil tank. There's a pretty good gash, probably an 1/8" deep and there's a pin hole inside the gash. I'm guessing that it's been leaking from there and the clutch has been throwing it all over the place inside of the case. Luckily, tanks are pretty cheap if I have to order one. (if the one on the parts saw is also bad) My question is, what caused it to come in contact with the clutch, and how can I prevent it from happening again? I've heard that these old saws will rattle themselves apart, did I lose a screw for a bracket that let the tank swing into the clutch or something like that?

FayettesFinest

Also, how interchangeable are the Super2's and the XL2's? I'm looking up parts and a lot of the XL2 parts seem like that's what I have, but the saw has a Super2 decal on the side cover. I dunno if it's just me, or if this is a "Frankensaw" from the parts saw at the shop.

HuckFin

Could be a crank bearing causing all your problems, crank could be loose enough to cause a air leak when the saw is on its side.

FayettesFinest

Quote from: HuckFin on December 16, 2014, 03:13:35 PM
Could be a crank bearing causing all your problems, crank could be loose enough to cause a air leak when the saw is on its side.

This could also be possible. I think I got it, though. Chet was correct. When I drained the bar oil out of the tank, sure enough the duckbill come out in the oil. I'm hoping my problem was limited to the duckbill and the hole in the tank. I'll try it later on today. Wish me luck, lol

chet

With the duck bill missing, it allows chain oil to be sucked into the crank case. Thus causing the smoky exhaust and fouled plug.

Enderslbz

I had to double check to make sure this wasn't my post. I've got an XL2 that bellows smoke when you lay it over and a Super 2 for a parts saw, so not quite! Haha. I bought the Super 2 off Ebay for like $20, looks almost mint but doesn't have spark come to find out. I bought it for the plastic top handle that's broken on my great grandfathers hand me down XL2. I was curious the difference also since they're in the same chassis so I looked it up and the Super 2 is like 6cc bigger IIRC. I love that little XL2, I should probably put a little effort into the Super 2 and get it running...
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

FayettesFinest

Quote from: Enderslbz on December 24, 2014, 05:51:13 AM
I had to double check to make sure this wasn't my post. I've got an XL2 that bellows smoke when you lay it over and a Super 2 for a parts saw, so not quite! Haha. I bought the Super 2 off Ebay for like $20, looks almost mint but doesn't have spark come to find out. I bought it for the plastic top handle that's broken on my great grandfathers hand me down XL2. I was curious the difference also since they're in the same chassis so I looked it up and the Super 2 is like 6cc bigger IIRC. I love that little XL2, I should probably put a little effort into the Super 2 and get it running...

I went and got the parts saws out of the tool trailer at work. I have a total of 3 of these saws down in my workshop. The most of the stuff seemed identical. The original saw I had the trouble with said Super 2 on it. The parts saws said XL2 on it and the other was a aluminum case Super 2 (which with a little cleaning and tinkering started on the 2nd pull! We're not counting all the pulls and swearing I did before I realized I never attached the plug wire! :D) But everything on the two plastic case saws seemed *DanG near identical. I used the main plastic case from the XL2 on the Super2 because the original one was melted around the muffler and the On/Off switch was boogered. I also switched the mufflers and the bar oil tanks and oil lines. All seems to fit and work quite well as the saw is now a non-smoking machine. After getting the courage to tear my uncles saw apart (I didn't have the stones to tell him his saw was messed up  :-\) I found that they're relatively simple to work on. All in all, don't take my word for it as I'm sure there are some differences, everything seemed to be the same with the exception of the sticker on the side case.

But as Chet said, I'd check on that duckbill valve. If it's completely missing on both saws, PM me and I'll give you one. You could also notice mine smoking after you'd shut it off because of all the slobbered oil that would burn off of the engine.

Enderslbz

Quote from: FayettesFinest on December 26, 2014, 02:49:59 PM

But as Chet said, I'd check on that duckbill valve. If it's completely missing on both saws, PM me and I'll give you one. You could also notice mine smoking after you'd shut it off because of all the slobbered oil that would burn off of the engine.
I'll make some time today to check it out, that would be great, thanks!
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

FayettesFinest

And then woes continue.... I just pulled the saw apart and it appears as if it's "eating" the air filter. The filter in put in was out of a parts saw and looked to be in good condition. Now, half of it has seemed to disappear... Any rhyme or reason?

sawguy21

The foam is rotten, a common problem. Have fun flushing the crud.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

FayettesFinest

I realized that when i actually got to feel it. Now, I'm going to look for the "dunce hat" for actually asking that question...

Thank You Sponsors!