iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The log gods were good to me

Started by Gilman, August 08, 2004, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

My fiance's brothers happen to be loggers.  8)  What a sweet deal!  All but the black walnut was destined for fire wood. :-[

Below is a black walnut log that is about 44" diameter plus all the limbs.  One of the loggers does a little bit of wood working and want a few boards to do something with, the remaining is mine.  I estimate there is about 1500 bf.

Here are some broad leaf maple logs with plenty of burls.

Close up of the maple logs

These are some maple burl boards that were the end cuts of the above logs.

Close up of the boards, I should have splashed a little water on them.

These are a few maple burl slab scraps I picked up while looking at the bigger logs.  Also, you can see, I have my trusty 5 gallons of Bailey's log sealer.  Shipping on this was only $9.00. 8)

Here are a few photos of a couple bowls I turned today.  One is from a burl log and the other is from one of the burls above.

One minute it is firewood 24 hours later you have a couple of bowls that will be around for generations.  I truely love that part of having a mill, some friends with logs, a woodshop, and a little bit of time.

OH!, I almost forgot.  I'd like to get some wood from the black walnut stump.  Obviously a fire hose/ pressure washer will be required and a chainsaw.  But do any of you have any suggestions on how I should go about chopping up this root ball?

I'll post some more photos once the logs get cut up.  I like photos.  ;D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Buzz-sawyer

will be using the root wad to get some more cool curly stuff ? I would since they were kind enough to up root the best part 8)
I think I read a few posts recently on this try a search on this site................btw that is some very nice work :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Gilman

Thanks, I made them for the "brothers" as a thank you for the logs.

You ever hack up a root ball before Buzz?

Buzz-sawyer

I havent cut one, though I probably will when I get a good oppertunity like you have ;)
I think ARKANSAWYER has played with them though and Im sure several others :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

rebocardo

How I did a root ball was put a wheel barrow under it, knock off as much as I could with a shovel and pry bar. Then go in cut all the stuff I did not want with a sawzall pruning blade. Hard to believe, but, at least on oak, it can quickly eat through a 4" root. Then once all the big stuff is gone, it is time for water.

Gilman

I like the recipricating saw idea.  I have a cordless Porter Cable that should work out real handy.  The blades are much cheaper than a chainsaw chain.

Here's an update on the project.  Got the mill on site now, it's about 50 miles from home.  

We took a fire hose to the black walnut roots, but it didn't quite have enough pressure to scrub it clean.  It did get a lot of the dirt off though.  Once it is up by the loader I'll get back to cleaning on it.  Once I start cutting into it I'll post some photos of what's inside.

Maple burl stumps yet to be chopped up.

Another view of the burl stumps

The helper.  She threatened my life if I posted this one. (Nice knowing you all)

Here's a fir log, straight, nice and clear, smelled good, looked good, but had a huge check in it from when it was felled.  Lost about 1/2 of the lumber out of it.

And I thought a forklift was handy. In the backgound is a christmas tree farm.  Kids were attaching 1' sticks to the tops of the trees to keep them growing straight.  Boy, I'd hate that job. There's probably 100 acres of christmas trees there.  A lot of trees per acre times 100 acres = ugh!!!

Here's the first of those maple burl logs.

Here's one of the boards.  Just a little bit of stain...  :(

Frank_Pender

Geee Gilman, I would of giveen you $100 per log, without you even having to saw or wash them.   ;D
Frank Pender

Gilman

You want them delivered too?

I see you live near the coast, what town?  My folks have a cabin in Long Beach, WA.  Maybe I could swing by some time and see your setup.

Also, what town east of pdx did you grow up in?

Frank_Pender

Gilman, I am in Dallas, which is West of Salem about 16 miles.  I grew up in the mid East part of Multnomah County, between Stark and Burnside.
Frank Pender

Furby

Kids were attaching 1' sticks to the tops of the trees to keep them growing straight.  Boy, I'd hate that job. There's probably 100 acres of christmas trees there.  A lot of trees per acre times 100 acres = ugh!!!

Ummmm, I'm seeing $$$ out of scrap wood there!  ;) ;)
Oh, and those are some really cool logs and lumber!  8)

Gilman

Here's this weeks update.
#1 I've got to get the new crew trained on how to run a digital camera AND USE IT!!!

Here's the new Crew.  Dad (Larry) on left, Mom (Cleta) in the middle and fiance (Kathy) on the right. Oh, I almost forgot, that's Cookie in the background.  You'll hear about her in a bit.

This is my Dad and I sawing our first board together on our new mill.  I'm going to have to frame this one and put it in my office.  I like how sawing brings the family together.  My 11 and 10 year old nephews better watch out!

Here's the first Black Walnut board to be cut.  I need to saw larger boards to make me look thinner. That belly does come in handy when trying to shove off a 4 x 12 x 12' oak beam though!

Notice I'm looking down here.  When in doubt look down, put a thinking look on your face, wiggle stuff until something happens.

"HEY, GET BACK I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING HERE!!.  My first time operating a loader.  So cool, but I swear the first time I looked down and finally got ahold of a log I swore it was going to tip over.  After that, "WATCH OUT!"

Notice I'm looking down at the controls.  Nope! I'm looking at the hornet's nest that is starting to get busy!  Good thing about needing to get a job done, just do it and get it done.  There must of ben 10-15 of them suckers around me.  I think their nest was under the dash.

Great... From trainer to off bearer in one day.  I sure hope Dad lets me run the mill just a little bit from here on out.

Furby, I'll have to explain more on the burls later.  Not enough photos yet.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Gilman

Week 3
Setting up and servicing the machine.  After last time when I didn't have the maching quite level, this time I made sure it was.

Sawed a few maples and then it was onto the fun stuff.  Grabbing ahold of a split black walnut butt.

Bringing it around.

Spinning it around.

Setting it on the deck.

Finally. On to the fun stuff (you can just see the top of my hat above the log.)

So much for the fun stuff. Got to trim a little off to clear the guides. After that clear sailing! ;D

DanG! Just a little too far.

Good thing the Brothers showed up. That's Carl in the front of me, Ed is running the loader.  Boy does he make me look bad when he's running it.

Back to where it is supposed to be.

This was the bad half of the butt.  The other half is solid and should yield much more.  I'm going back Sunday so, if I remember the camera, all get some photos of the boards.

Paschale

Thanks for posting the pics--it's fun to see each step in the process.  

That's the kind of work that looks more like FUN!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

DanG

Great pics, Gilman! 8)  I love to see families out doing some work together. There just ain't nothin' better. :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gilman

Thanks Dan and Paschale,

Follow up for today is my mother, Cleta, went with me and was the off loader. What a team we make. After the second hour I look up and she has a peavy pole latched onto a log and is rolling it into the loader!  I was concerned that it would be too much work for her, but I backed the truck up near the trailer and she kept right up.  I'll ask her tomorrow how she is feeling.

Sorry about no photos today, we were too busy making lumber.  :)

That board return is the best thing ever.  8) You get down to your cant, use the accuset and board return, leave the blade running, you can really start pumping out the bf.  That's the part that I love.  Well.... the loader was a little bit funner ;D

Gilman

This weekend's update.

First: Dad christened the mill.  I heard the sound and started laughing. He didn't see so much humor in it  ;D

You know what comes next.  :D

JEEZZZZ!!! Looks like I've been washing my hair with bleach.  :o

That log loader is too slow, I found a faster method.

Buck em

Lift em

Set em

And Load the deck.

Playing with a full deck.

Here's one of the boards out of the maple logs

Close-up of board.  Just about every board off that log had some burl in it.

The not so fun part.   :-/

I'm a little sad now.  We're almost done. About two more trips unless we tackle the burl stumps down there.

Fla._Deadheader

Those are great pics. How do you know where to take the first cut, when the logs are wearin them fur coats ???  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Gilman

Deadheader,   ;D ;D

That's were ignorance is bliss!

I brought down my gas powered hedge trimmer and gave them a quick bootcamp shave.

No, these were all covered with burls.  I eventually learned to not worry about the bulk of the lumber but go after the best yield of the burls first.  I'd find the best "face" of burl, make a skim cut, then move down 4".  It usually took taking off 4" before I got down to a full length slab on the log.  This way I got a nice thick bowl blank and still had some burl left in the lumber. I'll have to take a picture of the burl slab pile stacked in the barn, I'm pretty sure they are dry enough not to mold.  The logs have been down for over a year.

jpad_mi

Wow, that's some highly figured wood! Do you have any projects lined up for it?

Nice work with the chainsaw.
Jeff P. in Michigan

Gilman

Hopefully I'll sell most of it.  We'll use it for a hearth on the fireplace, and kitchen cabinets in a house we are planning on selling.  I'll use some of the burls for turning more bowls.  Those always make quick and easy christmas gifts.

I think I'm going to make another curio cabinet out of the black walnut.  I made some plans back in college and have built a couple curios for customers.

Curlywoods

Gilman,

I am seriously interested in talking to you about Maple burls.  We typically buy them slabbed into 3", 4", 5", 6" and 8" thick sections.  We then process these into bowl blanks for our customers. I also like to buy rounds with the nature edges in sizes say from 12" across upto 24" in diamter and usually between 2" and 3" thick.
   We do prefer the burl eyes show up to the faces as much as possible.  Please email your contact info or call me on my cell phone at (972)658-2130 anytime (within reason of course :D )
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Gilman

We're down to the last couple logs.  >:(
I really had my hopes up on this last maple.  Here's how to use the big peavy to roll a log.

Almost done! That loader is really getting me spoiled. It's going to come in handy on those burls next weekend though.  :)

Gilman

I got a potential order for some spalted white oak.  Told the customer that I'm pretty sure I have some in log form since the log has been on the ground for a couple of years.  They stopped by yesterday and picked it up. My first lumber sale.

This end view is a good example of how rot resistant white oak heartwood is.  Pretty cool, I thought.

This DanG thing was a beast. Being careful to get the best yield of spalted wood really slowed me down.

Here's the new pressure washer operator, well at least for today.  Kathy did a great job but didn't care for getting her face plastered with bark, mud and rocks.

The pump went out on my uncle's pressure washer I was borrowing so I went out and bought a new one from the big orange box store. 3,700 psi @ 4 GPM really makes the mud fly 8) Box store employee, "It's ready to go, just add gas." Double checked the oil levels and the pump oil didn't even show up on the dipstick.  At least they are consistent.

Here's Kathy working on the black walnut stump.  This stump is packed full of sand stone.  Fortunatly it's sandstone and not granite. If it was granite we would of donated it to a good burn pile.

I talked to Larry Copas yesterday about cleaning stumps.  Here's a link to a thread on cleaning and cutting stumps.

We still haven't gotten to sawing the maple burls yet.  Hopefully this week!

Here's a maple burl stump almost cleaned up.

Almost finished.

Gilman

Finally got to saw some of the black walnut stump.  8) I was a little worried that once we started slabbing it, the lumber wouldn't be worth the effort of cleaning up the root ball.

Here is 1/4 of the stump.

Pretty good grain on this side.

Here's what's inside.

We cut this 1/4 of the stump all into 4-6" slabs.  I can alway resaw later if I need to.

Here's one of the pieces of maple burl.

We're getting close to being finished.  I want to get that mill back home so I can add some modifications to it.  The first thing to go will be those sawdust grates on the sawdust exhaust chute. The next modification will be to add one of these to the frame.  I just can't figure out where to mount it yet.  :-/

Thank You Sponsors!