iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oliver tractor

Started by timberlinetree, November 27, 2014, 06:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Was going to buy this for pushing/loading wood chips and growing pumpkins for a nonprofit helping kids. Are they any good? It is gas and a 1750 with 1700 hrs on it and not running. Thanks for your help.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

HiTech

Oliver was one of the best tractors ever built. It would be worth some TLC. When White took them over it was all down hill after that.

thecfarm

1700 hours???  :o  That is not much. Are new parts still available?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Depends on the money, as a 50 yr old tractor not running and likely parts not readily available would not be much more than a headache. But in the 60's they were good strong farm tractors.
As said, White ran them into the ground, but they were already on the ropes and struggling.

For the money (whatever it is) there are better investments. But it is your call.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

It would have to be really cheap.  A non running tractor can hide LOTS of issues that only come to light after it's running.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Oliver parts are still available both aftermarket and from AGCO, but you probably won't like the price.

1750 was a decent tractor of the era with decent hydraulics and a "hydra-power" 2 speed powershift, although the forward to reverse shifting isn't the best for a loader tractor. The 283 Waukesha is a pretty good motor, but parts are getting hard to find.

Not running I would buy it for scrap weight and go from there.

gspren

Farmers around here still use them, there is a place called Zimermans that carry parts. Not sure if I spelled that right.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

treeslayer2003

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 27, 2014, 10:15:09 AM
Oliver parts are still available both aftermarket and from AGCO, but you probably won't like the price.

1750 was a decent tractor of the era with decent hydraulics and a "hydra-power" 2 speed powershift, although the forward to reverse shifting isn't the best for a loader tractor. The 283 Waukesha is a pretty good motor, but parts are getting hard to find.

Not running I would buy it for scrap weight and go from there.
you can get some waukesha parts at napa......they came in all kinds of stuff not just olivers
those old tractors are tough as heck, i bet not much wrong with it.

chevytaHOE5674

You may be able to get some Waukesha parts at napa but if you ever need hard parts (crank, rods, head, etc) for the motor you may have to hunt. Neighbor farmer has a 283 Waukesha on a Genset and he ended up buying an Oliver 1750 and robbing the motor out of it because it was cheaper than buy/hunting down a few engine parts that his needed.

Firewoodjoe

If you don't mind a project buy it. Around here fixed up it would bring 6-7000 I would think. I know the loader alone would go for 2000. I have a wakasha in my loader. Never have problems finding parts

Maine logger88

Some guys around here are actually just replacing the wakasha with a 4bt or 6bt cause of parts avail. But with the cummins an Oliver would be pretty sweet
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

timberlinetree

Sounds like I should buy it if reasonable. Sat Marcia and I will go look and see if we can buy it. Any thing I should really look at on this thing? Thanks.

beenthere

Yes, learn exactly why it is not running. Low battery? blown engine ?  A couple things on opposite ends of the scale of 1 to 10 reasons to buy or not.

If just "looking", then the pic shown doesn't "look" too bad. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lopet

Sorry to sound negative.  But from my own experience I wouldn't pay more than scrap price. It could be a minor problem, but if it's sitting for years  you could run in to a real " money pit "
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

luvmexfood

Timberline

This is what I found for you on fastline:
Category: Tractors

Manufacturer: Oliver
Model: 1750
Number of Pieces: 4
Current Items w/Prices: 2 
High Price Found: $7,600.00
Low Price Found: $2,500.00
Average Price Found: $5,937.
Equipment values are based off of the last 6 months worth of data in our system

www.fastline.com

Here is one listed on that site. No loader: Oliver 1750, (1) New Radial Tire, Making Oil, Small Fire, Tin Work All Good, Will Run $2,500 (W)

You now owe me. I missed Jerry Springer finding this. HA HA :D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Oliver05262

Parts available at Sid Chavins on Schoolhouse Road in Nassau, NY.
Old Sid passed away, but his son or grandson is running the place now. Lots of new old stock, used and aftermarket parts available.
I don't have the phone number here, but I can get it if you post back.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

timberlinetree

Thanks so much for all the help! It hasn't run in 2 years but was running when parked? It was bought brand new by his dad. He was using it to mow grass around his property but bought a small compact tractor to replace it. I'm a little nervous about a money pit, but some of the work this will be doing is priceless. What should I look for on a no running tractor so it doesn't turn into a MAJOR project! I feel better knowing parts are around and how much they are worth. Thanks so much and sorry you missed jerry, I do owe you one (maybe a pumpkin or a beer or a pumpkin beer) smiley_beertoast

54Dutchman

I had one for a few years; tractor had one weak point - the front end broke down with farm use of the loader. Problems with the front rims and casting that the power steering cylinder moved.  I was told that those problems where common with these.  Replaced with skidsteer - made for loader type work. :) :)

timberlinetree

It's a little more work than thought and Marcia thinks we should weight for something in a little better shape. I like rusty things that have the potential to be shiny and working. It needs rear tires, loader cyls are rusty, and doesn't run and is gas. He wants 3000 for it. What should I offer him? Thanks

Corley5

New rear tires will be expensive.  What else is wrong that will only show after it's running?  A loader on a tractor is hard on a clutch.  If the hours are correct and it's always had that loader on it.  It may very well be time for a clutch.  That's not a cheap fix and it's time consuming.  You could get a field ready machine for the dollars you could wrap up in this one.  Maybe even for less dollars. 

beenthere

QuoteHe wants 3000 for it. What should I offer him? Thanks

Nothing, until he gets it running. Then consider your offer after you can test drive it.
No reason that I see, for you to take the risk with your money. The onus is on him.
south central Wisconsin

luvmexfood

Not running, it's a pig in a poke. You don't know what your getting. Could be a minor something or could be engine problems plus tranmission plus hydraulics. The list could go on and on.

Tell him to get it running and then you will talk.

Just my opinion.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

lopet

Around here it would be a number between  8 Cents per pound and what a wrecker would pay for salvage , witch I guess around $ 2000 or 2500 at most. ( $ 2000 for the tractor + $ 500 for the loader   maaaaybeee )
About a year ago my neighbor sold a old Ford 4000 and a old round baler to the wreckers and got $ 1900 for it. The tractor was running and he drove it in the yard with the baler, pulled the battery , took the money and ran. :)     
It all depends how much potential you see in that old girl.  Sorry for maybe not being much of a help. 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

chester_tree _farmah

Or ask him if u can try getting it to run? Does it even turn over still? Does it come with that flail mower? Good flail mowers aren't cheap.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Corley5

It's a pretty big tractor for a pumpkin patch.  Unless it's going to be a big pumpkin patch  ;D :)

BargeMonkey

See if you can go down "with him" to get it running. Better to see the problems right off the bat. The market for larger older tractors is saturated, they arent bringing much. We watch the PA farm paper close and anything over 50hp and 2wd the owner takes a beating on till you hit the 120-150hp range. Even if you had to invest a few hours, pack of plugs and 5gal of gas its still cheaper than buying something thats to far gone.
I did this when i bought my loader, made sure i was sitting in southworth's yard before they even bothered starting it, dead battery, no one checked tires, find the little things and keep beating the price down.

timberlinetree

I guess the best thing is to tell him if he's going to scrap it then give me a call. It might be best to save a little more and keep concentrated on work. People need wood( the local paper had an article  about all the problems with getting shorted and no show and I know one of the guys they are talking about)and I have quite a bit of it. We need a bigger tractor because the tillage equipment we can use is rated for 50-75 hores and when we do have time for the pumpkin project( it's so sad what these kids are going thru) we need to make quick work. We are using a case 350? Bulldozer w flip bucket to push chips back now but thought this tractor would do the trick and that dozer isn't ours.  I guess I'll be like a goose on eggs and play the waiting game. Thanks for helping us with this decision we really appreciate it!

Some pic from this weekend

chester_tree _farmah

Is that tilt steering? Huh.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Joe Hillmann

The tractor weighs 10 to 12,000 lbs which would make it's scrap value right around 1,000.  Then keep in mind if he wants to scrap it he has to figure a way to get it loaded up and to the scrap yard so that should knock of a $100 or so of it's value. 

If it ran when it was parked you should be able to get it started with just a gallon of gas a charged batter and maybe a can of starting fluid.  Of course as a running tractor it would be worth more.

North River Energy

Happy Birthday Timberline!
Sent you a PM.

shinnlinger

Any farm auctions near you?  My neighbors have purchased running loader tractors for the kind of $ that guy is asking.   I like old iron but I don't know if I would even pay scrap for that particular machine as your going to have to put twice that again into it (not to mention the time!) and then you have a 50 year old tractor just waiting for the next thing to break. 

I have seen good deals on industrial loader tractors, basically backhoes without the hoe part. I want to say 3 grand can get you a gas job '60s era front end loader too if that's what your looking for. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Southside

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on December 01, 2014, 09:40:13 PM
The tractor weighs 10 to 12,000 lbs which would make it's scrap value right around 1,000.  Then keep in mind if he wants to scrap it he has to figure a way to get it loaded up and to the scrap yard so that should knock of a $100 or so of it's value. 

If it ran when it was parked you should be able to get it started with just a gallon of gas a charged batter and maybe a can of starting fluid.  Of course as a running tractor it would be worth more.

I don't know Olivers at all, but my 1972 IH 666 which is about the same sized tractor, 67 hp with a diesel engine and the same cab, weighs 7,000 lbs without the loader, add maybe 1500 lbs for the loader.  Would not want to see you overpay if it goes for scrap price. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

timberlinetree

shinnlinger

I wouldn't shed too many tears on that one...  musta been meant to be.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

timberlinetree

Thanks shinnlinger and every one else!

Thank You Sponsors!