iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big load of hay for a little truck

Started by Banjo picker, November 26, 2014, 11:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

Not really a little truck, but it seemed little with this load on it.  You could tell it had all it wanted.

Horses go through a bale every 4 or 5 days.  Had to park at the bottom of the hill as the two wheel drive just won't cut it going up my driveway.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

yukon cornelius

That's a good load! around 20,000 lbs in hay alone
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

beenthere

What does a bale that size run ($$) in MS ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

I paid $280.00 for that load.  $20.00 a bale.  Debbie feeds them a 14% livestock feed each day to go with the hay.  I use to plant rye grass each labor day, but its cheeper to just buy hay at this price.  I sold my round bailer a couple of years ago.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Nate379

Do what?! $20 a bale?  That's about the price of a small square bale.

We pay about $600 a ton here for good horse hay.  It comes in from Washington.  One of my good friends boards horses, they have around 30 or so.

Chuck White

In this area, a 4x4 round bale goes for about $20.00!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Billbob

Quote from: Chuck White on November 27, 2014, 06:14:08 AM

$20cdn is what I pay for my round bales. $18 a bale in the field.  Last year I bought second cut hay.  This year I have first cut.  I'm discovering that the second cut hay goes furthur than first cut.  Could it be that it is a heavier/richer hay and the horses fill up faster?

Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

red oaks lumber

normal price around here for a 4x5 bale is $45. last year i was short needed to buy 3 semi loads at $ 100 per bale  :) i don't feed horses
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Billbob

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 27, 2014, 06:49:12 AM
normal price around here for a 4x5 bale is $45. last year i was short needed to buy 3 semi loads at $ 100 per bale  :) i don't feed horses

Ouch!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Chuck White

Quote from: Billbob on November 27, 2014, 06:20:30 AM

$20cdn is what I pay for my round bales. $18 a bale in the field.  Last year I bought second cut hay.  This year I have first cut.  I'm discovering that the second cut hay goes furthur than first cut.  Could it be that it is a heavier/richer hay and the horses fill up faster?

Bill

The second cutting hay is usually finer, so your horses would probably feel full faster!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

This load was actually fairly good hay, I have had to feed worse.  I think its mainly a bunch of bunk about horses having to have the cremdela crem when it comes to hay.  Mine is stored outside in the weather.  I nearly burned down my sawmill shed when Bobby and I were building the logging arch because I had hay in the barn.  Took 3 or 4 fire trucks to put it out and I had to move it outside the barn then....Some of it smoldered for several days...I am gona build a hay shed one of these days, but it will be a dedicated building...hay only.

I had water at the shed with a freeze proof faucet, but it wasn't concreted into the ground and when the hose was pulled a little too far to put it out when it first started, the pipe broke off down in the ground...then we had no pressure.  I didn't even tell Debbie until the first responder trucks came up the drive.  Its concreted in now you can bet.  Made the paper and all.  Happen about 2 weeks before the mill was delivered... Banjo

sandhills

Hay fires can be nasty!  Our prices right now are around $100/ton for decent grinding hay, I'd imagine premium quality hay would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 125 or so.

Billbob

Quote from: Chuck White on November 27, 2014, 07:29:53 AM
Quote from: Billbob on November 27, 2014, 06:20:30 AM

Bill

The second cutting hay is usually finer, so your horses would probably feel full faster!

And I noticed that the second cut bales are a lot heavier too.

A cattle farmer about 10 miles from here lost a years supply of round bales at the end of September.  Even after an excavator spread the pile and the fire department doused it for 3 days the pile still smouldered for 5 weeks.

Nate379

We can't use local hay because something is too high in it for hirses and its hard on them.  I forgot what now.  I'm sure much of the cost for L48 hay is shipping.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Nate379 on November 27, 2014, 05:47:40 AM
Do what?! $20 a bale?  That's about the price of a small square bale.

We pay about $600 a ton here for good horse hay. :o  It comes in from Washington.  One of my good friends boards horses, they have around 30 or so.

Man, at that price, I would be eating the horses instead of feeding them! ::)

When we had horses, we were paying about $115 a ton (20 years ago) for alfalfa but switched to a grassy mix for their health and that was around $90/ton.  We would put up about 10 ton in the barn and it would last us nearly a year for 2 horses.  Every once in a while, I see hay prices.  Its approaching $200/ton.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

coalsmok

We just bought 30 4x5 rolls at $28 each.  Some idiot (me) let a brush fire get out this spring and burnt that many.  I dont think you can put out a roll once it gets started, or at least I didnt have any luck :(. Dad and my wife were mad enough the local forester just let me go without paying the fine.

LaneC

Some people fertilize their hay fields. If they do, they usually do it after the first cutting. The grass grows better and there are a little fewer weeds in the hay due to the good fertilization on the grass so it takes over some of the weeds. We always try and get the second cutting. Down in South Ms. it is $35.00 a roll. I wished we could find some where to get it for $20.00. I do not know if I would drive that far though. A new transmission in that truck will be about 3 grand :D :D :D. That is a classic case of "Load the wagon and forget about the mule" :D.
Man makes plans and God smiles

LaneC

I should have stated, that that is for normal cattle hay. The expensive horse hay is a whole lot higher. It is usually imported from Northerly places, so I am told. Never have bought any. The Alfalfa does not grow here.
Man makes plans and God smiles

scsmith42

Around here high quality horse hay sells for $50.00 per round bale and on up.  Lower grade cow hay is usually around 20 - $25. per 4 x 4 bale.

Weight varies due to which harvest and type of hay.  Oat hay usually produced lighter bales than Fescue or Orchardgrass.  Different round balers produce different weight bales.  Gehl made a round baler aimed at the cattle market which compresses more hay into a bale versus NH and JD balers.  A typical 4 x 4 bale of fescue might weigh around 500 lbs; one from a Gehl baler will weight 750.

Spring cutting bales are usually lighter because they have the seed stems in them (which are hollow).  Usually second cutting hay has much fewer stems, and thus a larger quantity of denser material.

The biggest determinant of "horse quality versus cow quality" is if the hay is rained on in the field after it is cut.  Once it gets rained on mold will start to develop on the stems and this can cause a horse to colic. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: scsmith42 on November 28, 2014, 09:28:24 AM
<<snip>>
The biggest determinant of "horse quality versus cow quality" is if the hay is rained on in the field after it is cut.  Once it gets rained on mold will start to develop on the stems and this can cause a horse to colic.

We had a minor flood back in '86.  Our friend had her stack of alfalfa (horse) hay get wet from the bottom.  She had a friend with cows so we donated it to them.  About 10 bales that were HOT - starting to compost.  Probably could have started  fire soon!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

reswire

I just paid $50. per bale for grass mix field hay.  I guess each bale weighs around 800 lbs.  I feed mine to some spoiled goats.  Don't ride'em, don't eat'em, just look at'em.   8)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Thank You Sponsors!