iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else smoking meat for TG?

Started by caveman, November 26, 2014, 07:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

A couple of hours ago I lit the grill to get the meat started for tomorrow.  Two pork butts are smoking now on some cherry wood.  They will cook all night.  Tomorrow morning I will put on a turkey, venison ham and shoulder, and three slabs of pork ribs.  Usually I cook a lot of one thing (a couple of weeks ago, we cooked 370 pounds of pork butts one night).  This will certainly keep me hopping tomorrow with such a variety. 

Are any of you cooking outside for Thanks Giving?
Happy Thanks Giving,
Caveman
Caveman

goose63

I was goanna but down to 15 or 20 below its in the oven staying in side where its warm :(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

luvmexfood

Quote from: caveman on November 26, 2014, 07:58:36 PM
A couple of hours ago I lit the grill to get the meat started for tomorrow.  Two pork butts are smoking now on some cherry wood.  They will cook all night.  Tomorrow morning I will put on a turkey, venison ham and shoulder, and three slabs of pork ribs.  Usually I cook a lot of one thing (a couple of weeks ago, we cooked 370 pounds of pork butts one night).  This will certainly keep me hopping tomorrow with such a variety. 

Happy Thanks Giving,
Caveman

How many people you feeding? :D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Magicman

I smoked the ham today and the turkey gets done tomorrow morning.  The checklist is going smoothly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

I am not sure how many folks will show up today but probably around 30. We should have plenty and some for leftovers.  It is time to go take the pork off and get the turkey, ribs and venison started.  Good luck with the bird, Magicman.
Caveman

Magicman

Thanks and to you too.  My bird is on.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thurlow

Quote from: caveman on November 26, 2014, 07:58:36 PM

Happy Thanks Giving,
Caveman

We're gonna need to see a picture of the grill.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

caveman

Used the little grill today.  I will include a few pictures of the big one with chicken on it from a few weeks ago.  The big one, Global Warming II, has four racks and is 16' long.  The little one is about 8' long and has two racks.  Only one rack was used today to make room for the turkey. Since I was only cooking a little bit of meat today (for the size of the cooker) I only burned a fire in one end.  Both of these smokers have a fire box in each end and are relatively efficient.

Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Caveman....this is BAD TO THE BONE! Literally!  :D :D :D Good job, good post, good pics!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

caveman

Thanks, Poston.  I tried a few things different today. After the first hour of smoking the turkey breast side up, I stuffed it with cut up tangerines (usually use navel oranges but greening ruined our navel tree) and put it in a pan back side up. The turkey was tender and juicy.

We had a good gathering today.  I noticed that the old folks are really showing their age (only two of my grandmother's six siblings remain).  There were four generations of folks here.  I did not do a head count but there was a lot of good food-and leftovers (collard greens, mustard greens, pies, sweet potato casseroles, fruit, and a bunch of other stuff that I did not have room for on my plate). The weather was perfect, unlike earlier in the week when we got 5-6" of rain in one day.   
Caveman

luvmexfood

That sure was some good looking food. And the chicken. YUM
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!