iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Osage-orange (Bow-Wood)

Started by Ron Scott, November 26, 2014, 07:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

JustGreg

Thank you , Ron. Very informative.   :P
Woodland Mills HM126

RichInTheUSA

I have an Osage Orange tree on my property in Shenandoah County (just south of Winchester).

Mine however is definitely a tree, not a hedge.   It's easily 30 ft tall...     Thanks for posting the link!!

RichInTheUSA

WV Sawmiller

Ron,

Interesting read. There is one OO tree I know of near here at the entrance to the boardwalk at Sandstone Falls. I recently saw another up the New River while fishing, also it was in a state park. If the doves love the seeds I need to go collect all the fruits and put them out near my deer feeders and maybe the doves will leave my corn for the deer.

I don't know where they got the Bodark pronunciation. I worked in Cameroon with lots of French speakers and Bois was always pronounced Bwah. I guess many words get modified when spoken by non-native speakers. Keeps things interesting though.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

yes, a lot can be said or changed just in the way the words come off your tongue. Sometimes just the dialect that some "outsider" (or one lacking some schooling) doesn't understand, can change the spelling because they don't have the ear for it. The locals can spell it correctly, but an outsider changes the spelling to suit his own ear without knowing it's just been butchered by the pen. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Carson-saws

Have lotsa Osage around here.  Farmers used them for "wind rows" fence posts and of course great recurve bow.  The "root wood" is especially sought after.  Very nice wood when milled.  Using a tongue oil brings out an almost golden look to it yet it is quite a bit more heavy/ dense. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

timberking

A friend up in Ark. has me on the lookout for old posts to make duck calls out of.  He says the wood below the ground line can me purple.

ozarkgem

I have a lot of these on my place. I have a big one to saw up this fall. Like sawing rocks with a dull blade.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

DelawhereJoe

Building a bow from OO has been on my list for sometime now, finding someone around me that has some they are willing to part with is another matter. A buddy of mine raised pigs growing up in Kentucky and said his pigs wouldn't even eat the "nasty green brain looking fruit". He also made a comment about how fast the wood dulls saw chain, his perspective was that the bark would collect dirt, dust and all kinds of other junk that would dull the cutters. The farms around here both crop and critter, use the OO as hedgerows, but just let them grow naturally and it and the mulberry take over, with cedars moving in later.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

PineHill4488

Bodark "is a slurring of the French "bois d'arc"—meaning "wood of the bow," a reference to the Osage Indians' practice of making bows from the tree."
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Thank You Sponsors!