iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CAT 564 forwarder walking beams

Started by Duhnis, November 26, 2014, 07:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duhnis

Hi All.
The outfit my brother works for has a older Cat 564 forwarder ( Fabtek).
And they are worried about the  trunions (spindles) for the walking beams  of the rear tandems breaking off.
I have never heard of this happening, But asking if anyone has heard about this. The machine has about 8500 hours on it.
Thanks,
Duhnis

1270d

do you mean a whole bogie breaking off of the machine? or just a wheel breaking away?  Why are they worried, is it worn badly, or do they overload and drive too fast?

Duhnis

The whole bogie breaking off at the  center pivot.
The machine has had several cowboys over the years , But for some reason, one of the workers seem to have scared the boss into letting them only putting about 1/2 a load on it , so not to break the pivots off.
  The harvester and  forwarder  produces  less a day then one of my clients does all by himself with a 648H.

Duhnis

bushmechanic

Here on the island all of those 546 fabtek's had rear axle trouble. I don't recall seeing one break the bogie housing completely off but lots of stripped gears. The biggest issue that was had was the bolts that attached the axle to the machine frame would break off. Well then again they don't call this "the rock" for nothing.

dgdrls

I would suspect there are at least a few "weaker links" that would fail
long before the trunnion does.  Perhaps the operator knows something??

Keep us updated

DGDrls

lumbertick

We run 2 346b's one has 11,000 hours one has 15,000 hours both have been great machines... They are both 2005 what year is the 546? I don't see a boggie breaking off

Thank You Sponsors!