iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is how this guy chops wood

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 26, 2014, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

gspren

Looks like kindling, I'd split it once.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SLawyer Dave

We use to call that "stove wood" because you had to cut it so short, and then split it so small that it would fit in the tiny fireboxes that some old wood stoves use to have.  That is some easy splitting wood.  With the hardwood I split with my monster maul, I would go right through the chain.

There is a 89 year old WWII survivor that lives year round in the Fish Camp, Marina in Fort Brag where I spend some time each summer fishing for Pacific Salmon.  He lives in an RV trailer that he added a room onto and has a very small old Franklyn Wood Stove.  Anything over about 12" in length and 4" round has a hard time fitting into this thing.  He's a great old codger, that really reminds me of my deceased grandfather, (plus he is a hell of a fisherman), so I started giving him wood several years ago.  It was such a pain trying to cut and split it small enough for him that now I just collect all of the small stuff I get during the year, (end cuts, small splits, small limbs), and then take those over to him.  In his small space, and with his reduced mobility and strength, that little wood and stove does well, but I would hate to have to cut all wood that small.

ESFted

Hmmm.  I might have to give that a try.

You're a good man, Dave smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

clww

Great instructional video. It would also be a big plus to have the temps cold when splitting the wood.
I had to supply two wood cook stoves with split firewood for more than a few years while I was still of school age.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

101mph

I've used a similar method when I was splitting all my wood a couple months ago. Only difference is I was using a bungee cord around the entire round.

I went through about 5 bungee cords before I just abandoned the idea. When I had to split the harder/larger logs (and I really had to wind up to split them) there was no way to stop the ax before it went to far and cut the cord. :)

Still use it occasionally though.

bandmiller2

Substitute a piece of elm and watch that system fall apart, but for the type of stovewood he's splitting it saves chasing the pieces. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WmFritz

Quote from: ESFted on November 26, 2014, 12:35:23 PM
You're a good man, Dave smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Yup...

that's the sort of behavior that earns you extra credit points with the "Big Guy Upstairs.''  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ckhenshaw4

I would just have left it whole, and thrown it in our OWB just as it was.
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buck

Quote from: WDH on November 28, 2014, 08:41:37 AM
Try that with pecan ( smiley_devil )  :D.

Throw it in the boiler?  Lots of ash and little heat... ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

John Mc

The smaller splits burn more efficiently (but yes, I understand that efficiency is not always the primary goal - for some, getting the fire to last through the night is a priority, which often means larger pieces).

One of the tricks I use is to lay down an old car tire and stand as many logs in it as will fit. When you split, it holds the pieces. If you hit the tire with the ax or maul, it just bounces off.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bartman

I, too, would like to see how well this works with some red elm, oak, or hickory. I've had many of these video's shared on my facebook page. I have to wonder what kind of wood is being split here.

outlawcowboy

i have always used a tire like John MC said. But i just do that for my kindlin wood and then split then split bigger chunks with my splitter to make a fire last all night. (Not much fun wakeing up in the middle of the night to a frezzing house cause the fire went out.)
1999 ford F-350 7.3 diesel
1961 Massey Ferguson 65: 50hp diesel
Stihl MS391
Stihl MS192

John Mc

Generally, I split with a splitter, but every once in a while, I like to do a cord or so with an ax or maul.  The last time was prompted by my purchase of a Fiskars X25 splitting axe. I was curious how it would stack up compared to my old splitting maul.  The Fiskars kicked the maul's butt, despite the heavier weight and longer handle of the maul.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!