iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fix'in chains

Started by farmhand, August 08, 2004, 05:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmhand

:(  Does  anyone know where I can get a stihl chain fixed?  

I have had a couple break on me, my fault , but the chains are almost new and I would like to get them fixed. :'(

My local saw shop will not fix stihl chains.  They say stihl chains take different size rivets  then what they use. >:(
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

DanManofStihl

You could probbly buy a a little spinner riverter looks like a pair of vice grips and use them to fix it they have them at northerntool.com just a thought
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

jokers

Farmhand,

You can purchase presets for Stihl chain from any decent Stihl dealer, then your local guy can re-spin them just like any other chain. The presets are usually about about a buck each when purchased over the counter but many dealers will actually repair the chain using a new preset for only a dollar if you are a customer.

How do your chains keep breaking?

Russ

beenthere

In search for Stihl parts, I found this site. No prices, but maybe something to check into for 'availability' and 'price' (that is if a Stihl dealer is not close by).

http://www.nuwayinc.com/stihlpts.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

farmhand

I have a chainsaw mill.  The first chain I think broke because I let it get to loose.  The second one broke, I think, because I was at the end of the board and forgot to wedge the begining, so the chain got pinched.  The third one just seem to break, no reason. ??? ::) :-[

Oregon_Rob

What portion of the chain broke, a rivet, link???
The only chain that has ever broken on me was a brand new on I picked up from a dealer and it was the link that broke right at the hole that had the rivet spun. When I took it back, the dealers comment was something to the effect that he got carried away when spinning the rivet and damaged the link.
Chainsaw Nerd

DanManofStihl

I hav only ever broke two chains that was when i was running a 36 inch bar through cedar and it just split the chain out and another time in a 34 inch gum tree it was alittle dull and lose and it broke and the chain catcher caught it thank God.

NewEnglandTreeSvc

One thing to watch out for on thrown chains is sometimes they get bent. Not so's you could see it, but when you run it around the guide bar you'll notice tight spots. Just be on the lookout for them.

Next time you need chain, get anything besides Stihl brand. Trust me on this one.
Erik Lovell, Arborist

DanManofStihl

Hay I run stihl chains and they work great I got 35 truck loads of wood on one chain and only have to sharpen it after 5 or 6 truck loads and thats gum tree, cedar and hickory. I keep them sharp and tight and they last.

Kevin

One of the main problems with the chains when used for milling is the heat and the stretching.
When the chain gets hot it becomes loose on the bar and if you tighten it up while it's hot it will stretch out more and weaken it.

farmhand

Kevin,

Do you suggest not tightening the chain when warm?  I agree with what your saying, but when is it too loose to work with?

I need to do something.  I just had another snap one me.  Needless to say it is going to get to costly to run my mill. :o

Kevin

You shouldn't tighten a chain when it's warm but you can't run a loose chain so the only option is to crank up the oil output and when it becomes loose, let it cool.
That's one of the reasons I prefer milling in the winter here when the weather is cooler.

NewEnglandTreeSvc

Stihl chains do work great for firewood; mostly because they're slightly harder than most others. They hold their edge longer.

As a consequence, the metal is more brittle. Which is why I suggested switching brands for milling use- Oregon or Carlton.
Erik Lovell, Arborist

Thank You Sponsors!