iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New McCulloch saws

Started by FayettesFinest, November 24, 2014, 10:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FayettesFinest

Has anyone had any luck with the new McCullochs? I was looking on their site and they look pretty good to me. Their biggest saw is a 45cc, kinda want something bigger, but if they are priced right, I might go for one, depending on the reviews.
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

Brian_Rhoad

The 45cc Mcculloch looks a lot like the Husqvarna 445. Mcculloch is made by Husqvarna.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

Plain and simple, junk.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

It's McCulloch in name only .Not to be confused with the yellow saws that once dominated the chainsaw industry .That company circled the drain some time ago when Robert Paxton McCulloch let the board of directors run it in the ground.

It's a classic example of not minding the store and before too long there was no store to mind .Many fell ,Homelite ,nearly Harley -Davidson and the list goes on .

Nate379

Homelite, Poulan, McCulloch... all junk these days.

Husqvarna isn't helping their image peddling junk in the box stores.

We used to be a Husqy dealer until that happened.  It killed the dealerships since they undercut all the pricing!

Cornishman

As with most things depends what you need it to do. Take a few small trees down around you garden (or is it yard over there) then it will probably be fine.  Serious firewood then you are asking a bit much of it. As you have said you would like a bigger saw so it sounds it might have hard work to do. A quality saw will stand a bit of overwork but sadly a Mc is not in this class anymore. Makita or most Japanese saws are reasonable IMO.
If you have a fair bit of work for it another option might be a secondhand  pro saw from a forum member.  If this forum is anything like the UK one I belong to, then you might find what you are looking for here.

Nate379

If you want a Mac, I do have a bunch of old iron, from Mac 800s, 55s, 23-5, some pro Mac stuff like the 610s, I'm sure alot more.
I don't know if they are runners or not, I'm kinda just getting into the partnership at the shop and this stuff has been here for 20+ years.

Also have pretty much every other major brand too.  If you aren't in a huge rush I can put something together for you when my firewood season slows down a bit (another month or so)

thurlow

Well, this is off-topic, but it made me remember.........when I'se in the military, lots of guys in the unit had a nickname;  one guy's last name was McCulloch.  Guess what his nickname was?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

FayettesFinest

Yeah, it'll see a good bit of work. I plan to keep cutting all winter and throughout the summer. We're getting into some bigger trees with the new stands we're moving into. The biggest we have right now is an 18" and I don't think it will be enough for some of them. I'm in the market for something than can handle a 24"+ bar. I have 2 Poulans with 20" bars and I haven't had any luck with them. The adjusters are stripped on both of them and one has low compression. In my opinion, the one should have stayed in the pawn shop my buddy bought it from... I'd love to get a Husky or Stihl, but they're a little out of my price range with the recent string of bad luck I've gotten. I'm kind of weary of buying off of craigslist and ebay. I've seen all this stuff about Chinese Huskys and Stihls and I never would have known that if I never would have joined this site. I'm just worried about getting smoked on a deal.

Al_Smith

As far as McCullochs and cheap probabley the best would be either a PM 610 or 650 .

For like under 100 dollars most of the time although they are heavy they will hold their own against a modern 60 cc saw no matter who built it Oh yeah you get these people who rant and rave about their  super saws but all in all those now old duffers can still do a fair days work .It's just an option for a guy with a limited budget .

FayettesFinest

As weary as I am of it, I've been browsing Craigslist and Pennswoods religiously for saws. There's not a great market here in the Pittsburgh area. I found a nice 550 Echo with a 20" bar that I should have hopped on, but for some reason I passed on it. I haven't really seen many McCullochs around here. Some smaller ones and there's one that's 10 minutes from me, it's a TimberBear or TimberWolf??? I can't remember. It's got a 20"bar and the guy wants 200$. I thought that might be a little bit of a high price, but I don't know. I've never heard of one before...and I really don't even know what I'm looking for, lol

weimedog

With what you describe as your project, why not just find a good clean Husqvarna 365 used, the old "Special" version. Might get lucky and find a clean Husqvarna 372 or used Stihl MS441, 044, or 046 as well. Something in that 70cc class where there is current parts support. Or at least a 60cc machine from this century.

If you have a good Echo dealer they have 60cc and larger saws as well, cs620, cs680 etc.

I wouldn't go cheap or antique unless time is of no value... Antique/vintage makes sence if it's going to be a hobby.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ktowne030311

i paid 125$ for my stihl 051 av with a new bar and chain, guy even tossed in an extra chain as well. good deals are out there, just keep an eye open
McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

Cornishman

Quote from: FayettesFinest on November 25, 2014, 11:10:26 PM
As weary as I am of it, I've been browsing Craigslist and Pennswoods religiously for saws. There's not a great market here in the Pittsburgh area. I found a nice 550 Echo with a 20" bar that I should have hopped on, but for some reason I passed on it. I haven't really seen many McCullochs around here. Some smaller ones and there's one that's 10 minutes from me, it's a TimberBear or TimberWolf??? I can't remember. It's got a 20"bar and the guy wants 200$. I thought that might be a little bit of a high price, but I don't know. I've never heard of one before...and I really don't even know what I'm looking for, lol
Fairly sure Timber wolf is Chinese selling for as little as £69.work out the exchange rate but at that price he is trying it on.

Cornishman

Sorry I was thinking of timber pro 58cc chinky  Echo CS590 timber wolf  is an OK saw IF it is that

FayettesFinest

Quote from: Cornishman on November 26, 2014, 03:02:02 PM
Sorry I was thinking of timber pro 58cc chinky  Echo CS590 timber wolf  is an OK saw IF it is that

The one I was talking about is a McCulloch TimberBear. I haven't found much on them. Just that they're heavy and relatively gutless.

I've decided that if I buy used, it will probably be a Stihl or Husqvarna. New, it's probably going to be a Husqvarna because my mother can get them discounted through her job. Have also been hearing good things about Jonsered as well. There's not much for dealership and service for them around here, just Tractor Supply. I want something with decent dealer support and something I know how to pronounce, lol

Cornishman

If you can get discount on a husky then I would say 365 70cc  is the best value for what you need. It can run 24''.   Nice saw.
372 is a bit more money if you are I a hurry. 365 could even be modded later to give 372 power.

FayettesFinest

How exactly do you mod a saw? And what exactly can be done?

Cornishman

Quote from: FayettesFinest on November 27, 2014, 09:56:52 AM
How exactly do you mod a saw? And what exactly can be done?
First of all this is not my field but modding a saw is similar to tuning a car. Common things are drilling the exhaust, removing spark arrestor and opening up the ports to give better gas (air)flow. Probably the latter is not for the likes of you and I.
365 to 372. As far as I know the only difference is a fin on each of the transfer port covers.
These covers are bolted to the sides of the barrel with 4 bolts. You need to lift the barrel to gain access to these.  Pull it off the piston completely or you might be able to do it with lifting a bit. Remove the covers and grind off the fins. Alternatively buy 372 covers.
If you are into rebuilding saws then should be no problem.
365 special is only 65cc so different new pot and piston required
Personally I would be happy with a 365. Remember you will void any warranty if you do this.
My advice would be to leave well alone unless you have to strip the saw. As I said at the start its not my field so take nothing as gospel.

FayettesFinest

That's pretty interesting. I really have no desire to hack up a brand new saw. Maybe I'll try it out if I ever decide to get a project saw. As for now, I can't afford any down time. I really don't have the need for a modded saw at the moment. I need something more reliable than the Craftsman and something faster than my old Super 2 Homelite

Cornishman

Quote from: FayettesFinest on November 27, 2014, 05:50:27 PM
That's pretty interesting. I really have no desire to hack up a brand new saw. Maybe I'll try it out if I ever decide to get a project saw. As for now, I can't afford any down time. I really don't have the need for a modded saw at the moment. I need something more reliable than the Craftsman and something faster than my old Super 2 Homelite
Wise words. Enjoy you new saw. I am sure you won't be disappointed.
BTW Homelite XL2 automatic was my first saw presumably the one before yours. Not the fastest but after all it is the baby of the bunch.

Three Maples

In 67 I bought a Mac, it was hard to start, ran poor, and was very heavy.  I was a kid and very proud, still have it hanging on the wall part of an alaskan mill I made.  Today I would not waste money on a new McColloch or any other cheap saw.  I run Jonsered and Sthil.  If you want to do a job right buy what the pros buy. you will nerver be sad your tool is too good. A good chainsaw is a cheap investment. A junk saw is a dangerous waist of the worlds resorces.

luvmexfood

If you have an Echo dealer nearby take a look at the 590 Timberwolf. Several people on here have bought them and seem to be satisfied.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Three Maples on November 28, 2014, 12:50:00 PM
In 67 I bought a Mac, it was hard to start, ran poor, and was very heavy.  I was a kid and very proud,   
All things are relative .In 1967 it was probabley considered fast .Consider the fact if it most likely was a reed valve,could have been a 250.Which ran .404 chipper chain on a 7 tooth sprocket and the saw tuned to run so rich it blew black smoke when it idled .

Take that same saw,hang a 3/8" chisel chain on it with an 8 tooth and  a good tune and it will surprise you .It won't get any lighter though . :D

Thank You Sponsors!