iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Piggy Roast was AWESOME!

Started by Paschale, August 07, 2004, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

I just got home from the ole piggy roast, and all I can say is that I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon than with members of the Forestry Forum!  Though I didn't have a camera, I'll try to just give you one guy's take on a great day--I know more reports will be coming in as soon as people make it back home.

The first thing I noticed when I got there was the smell of the pig!  They had just taken him off the fire and were getting poor ole Norman ready for the feast (and a fine porker he proved to be!).  Then I noticed a bunch of guys with Forestry Forum hats on, and so I knew I was in the right place! ;D

Like pretty much everyone else on the forum, I'd really never met anybody there, and I'm not usually a fan of those sorts of things, but I saw the nearest group and dove in, and from there on out, had the time of my life.

Everyone there was great.  I think this little corner of the web has got to have some of the coolest people anywhere.  It was more than once during the course of the day that I overheard people saying, "you know, everyone here is someone who I could really see myself becoming good friends with," and it's true.  You could go up and talk to anybody, or just sit back and enjoy hearing some of the guys talk about their mills, and their operations, their successes and mishaps. There was a lot of laughter and learning going on today!  

At one point, there was a circle of us, Tom and Charlie were telling us some great stories, and suddenly, Jeff fired up the ole hit and miss engine behind us, and a big ole smile lit up on my face and I realized that these guys are my kind of people and a day like today is what I call a good time! 8) 8)

Some other highlights for me included a very cool thing that WV Hillbilly contributed.  Unbeknownst to all of us, Hillbilly (Dan M.) used his skills on the scroll saw to cut out everyone's Forestry Forum nickname who was coming to the piggy roast.  It must've taken a long time!  His work's beautiful stuff, and I for one was really blown away by his generosity.  There were a lot of door prizes, ranging from hats and books, to turkey calls and handcrafted pens and several other items, many of which were donated by forum members.  There were also a couple of donations from forestry forum sponsors.  I won't be able to remember who all made them, but I know a more full report will be given later on by someone else.

The best part of the piggy roast by far though was meeting the people who are on the forum.  These are some great people, down to earth, easy going, and a ton of fun.  I learned a lot, laughed a lot, ate a lot  ;D, and made a bunch of new friends.

Thanks to Jeff and Tammy for hosting a great event!

Dan M.

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

I just got home a little while ago myself. Yes, I made it!  ::)
I'm going to make this easy and just second EVERYTHING you just said Paschale!!!!!  ;D

But I really do want to thank Jeff and Tammy for going through all the trouble I KNOW they went through.
Thanks guys!!!

Also a big Thank You to all the sponsors for what ever help was given with this!!!!

Kirk_Allen

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO 8) 8) 8)

Thanks Jeff & Tammy

Piggy was great, as well as all the extra goodies!

If you missed coming your truely missed a great time!

All had some great info to share!  

Bibbyman, thanks again for all the great information.  It was a pleasure meeting you.

Start preparing for next year 8) 8)

Jeff

Here is a couple pictures to getcha all started. We will filter some more in as we get time. Gotta go power wash the roaster, get packed and then Tom and I are off for Gods area code. 906  :)

Link to large group photo. (368k)

Here is a picture of PART of the group. Several came later.

A picture of the east end of our house. We all signed our wall so we can cover it and protect it for posterity! ;D

Guess who?

Pasbuild and wife

A pair of self admitted pollocks, chet and putsy, discussing how to change a lightbulb. Wax lady gives up in disgust from trying to explain that it was a mantle lantern on the picnic table and there was no need in calling in help. Putsy is one of our loggers that found himslef right at home with our group.

Small groung near da food table.

Here is members Harold, and Doug_in_Utah playing with one of the hit and miss engines we had on display.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Yep,  I'm not there.  I didn't think I was. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Bibbyman if you werent there then who did I talk to for an hour?

Must have been an imposter.

Bibbyman

It must have been Tom Selleck.  Lots of people get us confused.  Or at least me. ???

Did he look like this guy in the center???
Sawing since '94

Kevin

No, the guy in the center is an imposter.
He looked more like the guy on the left who was handing out the Wood Mizer gift certificates.

pasbuild

Ya thats you on the left, your stories are even better in person then on the forum, sure was a pleasure meeting you :)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Bibbyman

Wel,  U no hoow hard it is to tipe out a storry wen you onlly no hoow to speell abought a dozzen woards.
Sawing since '94

Norm

We just got home an hour or so ago and got everyone feed, got some of the photos that Patty took so those of you not able to make it could put some faces to names.

Jeff and Tammy giving out prizes as we arrived.

Mr and Mrs' EZ

The stump jumper family

Furby and MarkM

WV Hillbilly and yours truly

Robert (oww) and Jeff

We had a great time, even though we didn't get to stay as long as I'd liked it was sure nice to get to meet so many folks from on here.

I would like to thank Jeff and Tammy for making this all possible, two of the nicest folks I've ever had the pleasure to meet. :)

Larry

Patty did an excellent job on the camera.  In the last picture I bet there is a story.  You can tell it by the smile on OWW's face and the look in Jeff's eyes.

If ya got more pictures put em on.

Wish I had been there.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Danny_S

So, did anybody -  learn anything -  from anyone? :D Sorry I missed it but it would have been a long trip for the thin wallet.  ;)  Hope everyone had a really good time.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

CHARLIE

I just got home and want to say THANKS JEFF AND TAMMY!  I sure did enjoy myself. Everyone already knew everyone, they just didn't know what they looked like. ;D  We all just introduced ourselves and started talking, laughing and carrying on. My wife, Donna, had a great time too and also remarked how everyone seemed like they had known each other for years. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the amount of food we were forced to eat. :)  That piggy was just plum beautiful on the spit. Jeff had injected it with about 3 gallons of beer to keep it moist ;) and smeared the outside with BBQ sauce. That was a 190 pound pig dressed out! The butchers filled 5 huge serving pans with pork. More than plenty for everyone. I'll tell y'all this, if anyone went hungry, it was their own fault. I looked around but could find no grits. That was the only thing missing. I reckon I'll have to prepare a pot next time. ;D  Anyway, I sure did have a great time talking face to face with other forum members. And WVHillbilly, thanks a bunch for scrolling out my name. It's sitting here on top of my computer.  I sure hope we can do this again sometime. 8)  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

hawby

Well.... Hawby, Emmy, and Hannah Grace made it home from the Piggy Roast. Everything that ya'll have said is true and I would like to add... Jeff and Tammy are such gracious hosts. They opened their home to (almost complete) strangers and treated us all like old friends. Thanks for a great weekend.

Had a little fun on the way home... after dropping the wife and youngun at home, I continued on up to the RV dump station to get rid of.... well, on the way home, the trailer decided to spit out a wheel bearing. No big deal, but my folks are heading North on Wednesday, so instead of getting to sit down and rest... it was chisel, hammer, and grease for a couple of hours.

Bibbyman, I don't know how to tell you this, but you have a real strong accent... kind sounded a bit like the last President... 'cept ya behaved like a gentleman  ;D

All the rest of ya that missed the roast might wanna set aside time for next year. Can't remember when I had so much fun and good dialog with so many different people with a common interest.

Hope all the rest ya got/get home safe. Jeff and Tom have fun in the land of pasties  :)

hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

chet

Da Wax Lady & I just got home also. What a fantastic few days.  :) To echo Charlie, it is simply amazing that you can take folks from such varied backrounds and all parts of this earth, put them together, and end up with nothing but friends.  8)
This is one reunion I'm not going to miss when it comes around again.

Charlie, I have ta tell ya, yer fibbin' about da grits. And I got proof.  ;D  'Cause I got stuck wit da instant grits, and yer name is on dem.   :-/   Anyone want some instant grits? Dem southern folks swear by um.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Buzz-sawyer

Well, well .........what an intense, action packed weekend!!        
I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED in any part of the weekend...
Yuz guys and gals that didnt go ....arent showing yourselves any LOVE at all!!!! You dont get a chance to meet so many interesting characters in one setting, that many times in a life time...............
I must say as much as I like the members of forestry forum , after reading thier posts.........I like them much more in person....
It didnt take to much coaxing to get Tom and Charlie fired up and tellin  some good stories....Norm and Patty were as fun as you might expect, Furby was shyer in person that on the net though!!!
Pascale is character ready to crack a joke....
Ark is good fun to talk to and a live wire, ................

had a good time with all the YOOPERS,  the CHETS and the PAASSBUILDS   what a HOOT, EH?    

and PAUL-H was a inteesting Canuck with a dry sense of humor, and quet nature........ Kirk Allen a super nice guy,

Tammy was a a bundle of MISCHIEF and FUN!!!  
 JEFF, as always..... a all around regular guy, and the life of the party and the death of the pig   .....
And all the rest just great folks  , I think I spoke with every member there at least 15 minites-to an hour......

thanks to all who came and especially my friends Jeff and Tammy

Don (buzz)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Furby

Wait just one minute!  ;D
On the net I have a second or two between posts, in person I almost would have to stick my foot into someone elses mouth to get a word in.  ;D
I got to admit I had a hard time keeping up with some of you!

Bro. Noble

We got home just a little while ago and must admit that everything reported was true.  I asked my wife and son if they came across anyone they didn't like  and they immediately responded  NOPE.  What a great bunch of people!

I'll have to confess that there were a few disappointments for me however:

1)  I tried,  but didn't get around to meeting everyone
2)  Mark M  wasn't dressed like I anticipated  (I liked him never the less)  ;)
3)  Jeff said the place we stayed was on a bluff above Bud Lake and so I expected to be able to do some cliff diving,  but it was just on a little rise near the lake :-/ ::)
4) we must have left just before Norm and Patty got there and I really wanted to meet Patty :o
5) I wanted to meet Norm too :D :D

I guess we'll just have to try it again the next time
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

Good to see that I'm at the bottom of your disappointment list Noble, although I must confess I've been a disappointment to about everyone who's known me. ;D Sorry I didn't get to meet you and the Mrs' but you never know when we might show up at your place. Might be a good time to update the locks on the doors at your place. :D

A few more pics of folks in attendance.

Charlie with Chet in the background.

Hawby

Kevin and Tammy

EZ

Well we made it home safe and sound and we didnt get lost not even once, which really amaze me. This was are first trip in 20 years and things were sure different on the road. Michigan is a nice clean state and the people we ment on the road were very nice. They sure do drive fast thou  ;D, I know I was doing 82 mph for awhile and they were still passing me like I was some old grand-pa. Wait a minute, I am an old grand-pa. :D All and all it was a great trip and we will do it again.
Even tho I am a sly person the folks treated us like they knew us for 20 years. I didnt get around to talk with everyone and I apologize for that. The folks that I did talk to were the same as if I was talking with them on the forum. Thank you all for accepting me and my wife. The day went fast and we were sad that it had to come to an end. Next time we will make plans on spending a couple of days their. Had a great time.
Thank you Jeff and Tammy, you are number one in my book.

For the folks that never met Jeff and Tammy, you really need to meet them, they are truely # 1.
EZ

Patty

What a great weekend!  8)   22 hours of driving and 4 hours of eating & visiting with old friends. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. What fun to meet all the folks we've been talking to for the past couple of years; I regret I didn't get around to talking with everyone, and Please accept my apologies. So much to say....so little time!  :)
Dan suprised us all with his works of art; what a guy! I will treasure the pieces he made forever.
I was delighted to see that Furby made the trip, and Doug-in-Utah was sure a pleasure to meet. Talk about a long drive...all the way from Utah. It was a hoot to watch Arky go 'round introducing himself as Bibbyman. Corly-5 brought his wife and kids, Zach was funny, gonna be quite the lay's man when he grows up. I asked him how old he was, he said he was 5 going on 6. (mom informed me he just turned 2!)
Jeff & Tammy are special folks, who deserve a big thank you. I can't wait to see what comes out of the walnut we brought up for them. It was fun to visit with Delcy and Mr. Stump Jumper, and their kids, discussing our chickens & turkeys, and such. And Charlie, and Kevin & Tamiam, and EZ & his lovely wife (glad to see yoiu didn't have to get home by way of Florida, EZ !!
Norm & I got there a little late, so walking up to the house we could see all the states represented in the license plates, all the way from CT, AR, MO, IA, MI, OH, MN, etc.; we knew we were at the right place. Paul was the first to greet us as we walked up. It made me feel so welcome. Thanks Paul.
And just as we were leaving, we happened upon a group of folks I hadn't even seen, OWW, sorry we couldn't stay and chat.
Mark M was kind enough to offer Norm a D7 cat. He said all we had to do was drive up and get it, and if anyone should ask, just tell them Mark said it was OK. What a generous guy!
I tell ya, it was so much fun to meet so many nice folks. Thanks again to Tammy & Jeff for making it all happen.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mark M

Yah - and I even had fun too!

I can't add much more than what's already been said about the good time we all had, next time I plan on bringing my wife and maybe a kid or two. Thanks to Jeff and Tammy for hosting it and thanks to everyone for coming so we could meet each other.

Not only was the company good but we even got to eat. There was some really good food, someone had some little things wrapped in bacon with tooth-picks stuck in them. Boy were they ever good! I'd gladly trade my recipe for barbecued bear for that recipe. Some of the best DanG cheese cake too! I especially liked the blueberry by Mrs. Stumpjumper. I even tried some of dat pickled Oprah, it wasn't slimy at all so I probably ate 10-15 of them :o.

That Bibby fella looked a lot different than his pictures, but we enjoyed him anyway. I do have to say he sounded like he wasn't from around here.

Norm I'm going to start shipping your D7next week, tell the UPS man to expect a bunch of packages over the next year or two.

Mark

EZ

After I posted the above thing, I went outside to saw some logs for a guy. After I was done Mrs EZ came out and said that I posted that I'm a sly guy, opps, spelling wrong, I met to say I'm a shy guy. Sorry big difference. ;D
EZ

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

EXCELLENT SHINDIG! 8) 8)Here are some pics hope to have some more when I get the other film developed.

wv hillbilly's handiwork

Bibbyman enjoying lunch!

One with wood and wife Linnea and LBJ Arky's sidekick

Dewwood and wife

luck of the draw

neat things to see

Notice the spark plug by the top handle, Chet got electroshock therapy.

carving Norman

Thank you Jeff and Tammy for opening up your home to us and for the good time.  The kids had a blast also.
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

Thank You Sponsors!