iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many of you guys restore chainsaws?

Started by levisthered, November 23, 2014, 11:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levisthered

just wondering if you how many of you guys enjoy doing it. I have always wanted to restore old tractors but don't have a shop to put one in for however long it takes. but I am really excited about fixing up my grandpa's old saw and am afraid that it might be a bug that is getting ready to bite me. I love the way the older saws look when they were made of metal instead of plastic. I think my favorites are from the 60's and 70s when they were getting some shape and stile but not looking like a spaceship yet.

sablatnic

I do once in a while. Not to 'better than new' look, but to run and cut as it should, and to look as if it has been made ready for another day in the forest.

Cornishman

Quote from: sablatnic on November 24, 2014, 02:25:10 AM
I do once in a while. Not to 'better than new' look, but to run and cut as it should, and to look as if it has been made ready for another day in the forest.
That's my plan  (if I ever get some free time) with the little Homelite XL2 that I grew up with. First saw I used and it kept me in firewood for several years. Mid 60's as far as I remember, best feature I thought was the dual trigger ( top and rear) Could be a big smile if I can get it running again.

CTYank

Been known to get/keep a variety of old 2-strokes back in commission, and restore a few old saws for a bud, one of which would never amount to anything more than a shelf-queen, a Pioneer 1074.

There's satisfaction in restoring tools that have worked hard for you. ;D You just keep riding that learning curve.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Nate379

One day I'll get some time.  Have enough parts saws to build easily several dozen running ones.  I've got 4 torn apart right now that I need to get done yesterday pretty much.  Probably should be working on them now, but I've found that working on anything at 2AM doesn't pan out so well.

Al_Smith

jocco

Don't know if restore is the correct term but I collect the old ones and tinker on them, have restored a few. :)
You may check out but you will never leave

mad murdock

I am in the "get into working order" category.  I have several given up on saws, that I have brought back into service, that had really minor issues, -carb kit, starter rope, general tune up/clean up.  usually if it has halfway decent compression, and will spark, not a lot of money needs to go into any old saw to get it in good working order.  It can be a lot of fun, and rewarding as well.  I like running the old iron(well, not too old), I guess I would refer to them as "middle aged" saws.  I think of the "old saws" as the old 2 man bone shakers, or the old heavy one man saws of the 50's-early mid 60's.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

deerslayer

I like to repair saws. I don't restore or refurbish them. ie, I fix what's broken and get them in top running condition. How they look is a lower priority to me as long as they operate as they should. I don't "collect" saws either, just accumulate them.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

levisthered

I guess I don't for sure know what I will end up doing. I may mostly just fix them and make them run, like if it is a well cared for little used saw that has just sat around to long I would like to keep it like that after I get it going. That is deep enough water for me to be in right now anyway. Probably to deep! I might some day get a wild hair to do one up and paint it I don't know. So maybe for now I should just get them going again...if I can :-\

67L36Driver

I like to do 'resto-mod' mostly.  That is refurb. mechanicaly but paint them in colors that set them apart.  I do restore some that warrant suck attention.

John Deere 15/Remington SL-10 rebuilt and painted in correct colors:

Sorry, picture upload not user friendly.
Over 40 old magnesium runners.  Plei Trapp Valley Duck!!! Club.

beenthere

Some users do have trouble following the pic loading, but it really is pretty straight forward.

Set up a gallery in your profile for a place to put your pics.

Then load them into your gallery and select them out of your gallery to put in your post.

On the Home page, go near the bottom for the "Forum Help" and you will see a primer for doing the pics.

Then the line below this window that says "Click here to add Photos to post" makes it all happen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!