iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch

Started by Mainer_for_life, November 23, 2014, 10:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainer_for_life

Hello everyone my dad just purchased a ramsey kx200-r winch to haul firewood with he paid $200 for it and I was wondering if this was a good buy also does anyone have any ideas on how we could build s mount for it to go on a three point hitch. The tractor it will be run of is a 2003 new holland tc40d. There is a sprocket on the back of it that is mounted to the worm gear shaft that will be removed in order to run it directly from the pto via a shaft and a universal joint. The winch is also mounted to a plate that will be taken off in order to weld our new mount. Thanks for the info.

P.S. I would have attached a pic but this is coming from an iPad that cannot have pics other than jpegs which are not accepted.

coxy

welcome to the ff   and sorry I know nothing about that winch   but someone will point you the right way

thecfarm

Mainer_for_life,welcome to the forum. That NH will do a nice job for ya.
here's one thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71151.msg1069196.html#msg1069196
There are many more.
If you want,go to the search,change This Topic to This board,which is Foresty and Logging and put in, pt winch. That should bring up 3 pages for you to read until others find your thread.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

QuoteP.S. I would have attached a pic but this is coming from an iPad that cannot have pics other than jpegs which are not accepted.

They are accepted, and can be posted from your iPad.

And you have a winch picture in your gallery, so that part is done.
Click on the line below this posting window that reads "Click here to add Photos to post" and the click on the menu tab "My Gallery"  so you then click on your pic and it will pop in another window. SCROLL down below that pic where is will give you a couple options to put your pic in your post. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mainer_for_life

Thanks for all of the information everyone I'm sure his will help a lot beenthere thanks for the help with the pictures. The new holland was purchased this spring to help us around r he house swing as we have over 100 acres and that there is brush hogging to do. We also use it to run a tiller for our hunting food plots. So all in all it use been a very useful machine.

Mainer_for_life

Here is that image that I tried to add earlier beenthere has helped sort me out so I added it I will have another pic a little bit later in the day showing the backside and the sprocket. I was wondering if anyone had any homemade winch pics that they would share with me to inspire some ideas in my head about our mount.

Mainer_for_life

I have been drawing up plans for this winch frame and I was wondering do you guys think that a 1/2 inch plate would be a strong enough base to old the winch.

teakwood

How much pulls the winch?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Mainer_for_life

If you mean how much pull does it have and I think you do it has an 8000 pound pull on it.

teakwood

ok. so I think a 1/2" plate will hold (better when its 4140 steel). with how many bolts will you bolt the winch on the plate? 
or do you weld it on?

teakwood

On the picture it seems that it already has a good plate on it?

Mainer_for_life

The plate on the bottom of it is not big enough to build off of and to put the mounts for the three point hitch. The winch is bolted to a couple of pieces of thick plate around 3/4 inch and those will be welded to the new mount the reason for the winch to be mounted to the couple of 3/4 inch plates is so it can be serviced and the oil for the gears can be emptied and replaced easily.

teakwood

I dont see the 3/4" plates on the picture

Mainer_for_life

When you look at the picture. You will see what looks like a piece of angle iron on the fron it is actually a pics that is welded onto the plates behind it anyways the winch will be completely torn apart and gone through so as to fix a gear that may be worn on the inside. And we may just leave the plates off of it. There are 2 bolts one each side of the plate that are bolted directly into the winch and so that it can come off of its mount.ci think we will probably weld our mount off of those.

teakwood

couldnt you weld the whole thing (on the pic) on the 1/2" inch plate with the mounts on it?

Mainer_for_life

He's you could I think that the only reason it is coming off is to replace the gears I think we will Wel the whole thing on after that.

Mainer_for_life

Also the frame we will build will be a trapezoid shape so they we can have. Top link mount and maybe some storage on top.

thecfarm

This is the winch on the back of my tractor,a Norse. The Farmi,Wallentin and others are just about the same. Mine is built out of ¼ and 3/16 steel. Hard to see but there is a pulley type wheel on top of the tower for lift and than about a foot below that one. That top wheel is about 5-6 feet off the ground.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

Here are pictures of the winch I made for my tractor

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

BargeMonkey

Thats pretty sharp looking, nice job. Blue tractors make the best tractors.   ;) 

Mainer_for_life

I want to thank everyone for the pictures and for the ideas. Bill M I think that we will probably not build as big of a frame as yours (which is magnificent I will say) and  I think we will probably just leave the blade style thing on the bottom off because of lack of materials and because of the fact that you can bring the butts of the logs up so that they are underneath the winch and chain them to the frame of the winch via a choker so that there is more weight on the back wheels. I will probably send a picture of the drawing that I have made within the next couple of days and soon I will have another post on the logging forks that we will be making up.  MORE INFO AND PICS ARE ALWAYS GREAT KEEP THEM COMING!

thecfarm

The blade will keep the tractor from trying to move towards whatever you are trying to winch in. That is why all the 3 pt winches have one. It works!!!!!

Mainer_for_life

If we can find an old dozer blade or something we will put one on but like I said unfortunately we don't have much at our disposal a good set of chains for the tractor tires to help control slip and give extra grip and two people can keep you out of any sticky situations. My dad and I run a winch like this that  my grandfather put together. One of us would be on the tractor running the the tractor, the pto control and holding the brakes while the other hooked the logs and watched for any problems or snags. We pulled out enough firewood in a day to last us all winter and have extra (almost 8-9 cord) with no problems, but I can see where it would be helpful I will suggest it to my dad when we build it. ;)

Mainer_for_life

This is the backside of the winch picture that I promised.

pineywoods

Click on this link and see a real pro job
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,47210.msg678145.html#msg678145

Mine ain't that nice, but it works

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mainer_for_life

Thanks piney and I think you winch looks just fine ours will look much the same as we are limited to the pto because when we bought the tractor from the guy it did not have any hydraulic outlets on the back or front so no hydraulic motor for us unless we want to spend some money.

enigmaT120

So you guys pull logs with 8000 pound winches?  Do you use skidding cones on the front of the log?  I have an 8000 pound Koenig pto winch that I plan to put on my '58 Chevy 4WD pickup, hmm. 

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Mainer_for_life

I know that we don't use a skidding cone the winch that we have been using before this that my grandfather built is an 8000 pound Koenig upright winch that he fixed and built a frame for to go on the three point hitch of his tractor.

Mainer_for_life

Question for you guys. This winch has some slop in it between the worm gear and the normal gear, the worm gear spins about 180 degrees before it connects with the other gear and I was wondering could this be a worn brass gear in that is connected to the drum and if so does anyone know where I could get it without breaking the bank.

chester_tree _farmah

If u don't put a blade on it to lower and dig  into the ground you aren't going to be pulling much in the woods. They get hung up real easy on the littlest things. U will end up closer to the tree but the tractor will be the thing moving.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Mainer_for_life

Chester I understand that it might be harder to do but my dad, grandfather and I have run an old Koenig winch that my grandfather put together for quite a while and while we may take a while we have turned out a lot of wood and we haven't had a problem, a snatch block and some extra chains is all that we have ever had.

thecfarm

Chains are slow. We use to get out my firewood with a 1954 NAA and CHAINS. I would hook up the chains and my Father would stay on the tractor. Sometimes 10 feet is all we could go forward,than he would back up and I would rehook.Sometimes we would have 3-4 16 foot chains hooked up.It took a while,but we got it done.  ;D   Than we could not take usually more than one log at a time. Once in awhile things would work out and we could get two. Most time it was not worth the bother to try to get 2 at a time. Than we brought The Winch. What a diffeance. Anyone who hauls out logs with a tractor should have a winch.

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: Mainer_for_life on November 26, 2014, 08:20:16 PM
Chester I understand that it might be harder to do but my dad, grandfather and I have run an old Koenig winch that my grandfather put together for quite a while and while we may take a while we have turned out a lot of wood and we haven't had a problem, a snatch block and some extra chains is all that we have ever had.

well that's no fun. Maybe blade is the wrong term. Any 3' (or close) of scrap L or angle or square tube gumped onto the bottom of the frame with scraps to brace will do. :-) U guys have torches and arc welder?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Maine logger88

I 2nd the blade also it's handy to butt up wood. My farmi doesn't have a blade but it does have legs that work decent for holding the tractor. It's nice for wheely bars too lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Mainer_for_life

The "blade" may not be feasible but the legs or stands sounds like we could do that with some square tubing and bracings. We do have torches and elders both of which I am good with and my dad and grandfather are too.

Maine logger88

That's all mine are just like 2x4 square tubing and some feet on the bottom.  Mine are adjustable but I never adjusted them lol I left them in the middle setting

Maine logger88

Here's a pic I took off the internet but about the same winch as mine

Mainer_for_life

Well you guys can guess what we're gonna do

FarmingSawyer

One way around having a blade is to back the tractor with it's tire up against a sizeable tree, or chain the front of the tractor to a tree. I used to log with a 6x6 army truck--stripped down to just an engine, frame, wooden bench, beer keg fuel tank, a winch and a boom. I regularly would haul out 32' Doug Fir logs, but only after hooking the rear axle around a tree. In years of winching I only ever bent the 4" dia. A-Frame tubes a slight bit by winching sideways with the full 250' of cable out.

I wish I had the boom truck now.....but instead I am researching a tractor winch.....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thecfarm

I would build it with a blade. Drop it down and winch. I'm not the type that cares too much about how quick I can do something,but I do try to make it easier for me.  :)

chester_tree _farmah

I was thinking more a horizontal piece of stock tied a bit lower on the frame by a vertical and 45° bracing back up to the front of the frame.  It doesn't have to be too much lower because u can drop it to the ground or keep it up and put it against a tree or stump or rock. Just thinking if money is tight

ML88. Nice heavy tractor winch! Do u use it much since u have the TJ & JD?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Maine logger88

Yeah it's a decent winch it pulls pretty good there handy to have. I had it on my super M with a aftermarket 3pt hitch I had 3 of the 140 pound ih wheel weights on each side on the back with a nice set of ring chains then 600 lbs of suitcase weights hanging off the front. It worked pretty good on a good flat frozen road it would pull 1/2 to 3/4 of a cord. No I haven't used it once since the winter of 08/09 cause I bought my 540 that spring. I hang on to it tho might use if for something someday...lol

Mainer_for_life

The winch has quite a bit of play in it and we were wondering if anyone would know why is it the way it was designed or is it a worn gear. ???

Mainer_for_life

Hey guys it's sure been a while since I've been on but I wanted to clear up a few things. We have been working on the winch and it actually doesn't have as much play as I thought it is only about 45 degrees of play in the shaft my hands were just to greasy when I first tried it I guess and the gear isn't worn thanks guys.

Thank You Sponsors!