iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting White Oak

Started by SAnVA, November 23, 2014, 09:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAnVA

While deer hunting the other day I took some photos of this White Oak, what first caught my eye was a growth that from a distance looked like a big burl on this tree above where I photographed (15-20 ft. above ground) but when I got close to the tree the burl was just a shell and not solid but then I noticed the bark on this tree looked like a normal White Oak on one side of the tree but on the other side looked more like a Chestnut Oak!

curdog

Could be a hybrid, they're called a sauls oak. Seems like oaks cross somewhat commonly. I found one this year I think was a southern red and possibly a black oak cross. Hybrids can definitely be tough to figure out.

djwest8635

Most likely could be an overcup oak.  We have those here in the swamps and lowlands of north central Georgia.  They are in the white oak family so look very similar.  You would have to show some leaves and/or acorns to be sure.  Overcups are very easily identifiable by their acorns.  Most all oaks are easily identifiable by their leaves. 

WDH

I would not expect to see overcup oak growing on a mountain in Virginia. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SlimJim

I think your right as I see a lot of these in the blue ridge in VA -Chestnut Oak.(bark is very distinctive thick large ridges).

Thank You Sponsors!