iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks '14

Started by Magicman, November 22, 2014, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Nope, I did not shoot, but I could have very easily.  Opening day and at 7:40 this morning a nice 8 point buck strolled by at 50 yards.  He had nice brow tines (G1's) probably 3", 8-10" G2's and about 4" G3's.  He looked to be about 14" inside spread and his lower neck came down to his brisket making him at least 3½ years old.  He nibbled a bit, spent some time rubbing his antlers on an overhanging limb, scraped, and then did his "business" in the scrape.

I hope that he will show up for one of the Grandsons.  :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

millwright

We used to be able to see bucks like that, but now most are so hunted by wolves that they very seldom seen

chain

I had related of a similar 8 pointer pushing around a 4 pointer with does standing a few yards away. Once the display was over all deer began feeding again. The 'super buck' that has everyone psyched-out still roams , I suppose. But once he hits the dead -deer annals, and bragged upon, it's gonna be open fire on antlers! I really hope some young lady bags him, not the old-pro trophy ganders.

Magicman

Nope, no shots yet.  A Grandson and I were at the Cabin for a couple of days, and even though we were hunting in different spots, no way was I gonna shoot before he gets one.  We did have a super good time together though.

I had 2 bucks Friday AM to come within about 20 yards, and then had 4 bucks and 7 does within 125 yards Friday PM.  Only one doe this AM.

Our season goes until the end of January and private landowners can use any method to harvest deer.  The statewide deer harvest goal is 650,000.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2014, 12:04:29 PM
private landowners can use any method to harvest deer.  The statewide deer harvest goal is 650,000.

WOW, :o :o :o :o 650,000 They must be as thick as fleas on a dog down there. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

QuoteA Grandson and I were at the Cabin for a couple of days, and even though we were hunting in different spots, no way was I gonna shoot before he gets one.

And the Grandson is sitting there saying "no way am I gonna shoot before 'ol Gramps gets one".   ;D

Makes for a quiet but fun day.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

He has taken 4 archery does this year and is really hanging with a very nice and old 10 pointer that he has on the trail cam.  With two more months of season, I am taking it easy.   ;)

Magicman

First Magic Buck of the year.

A Grandson came by with a nice 10 point that he got.  18" inside spread and 12" G2's.  This is not the 10 point that he has been hunting for so it is still "game on".

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You got my attention! Very nice Buckaroo. CONGRATS! :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

Small Slick

Nice buck. We didn't see anything near that nice on our land in wisconsin.

Great deer and quality family time too. John.

VT_Forestry

Awesome buck, can't wait to see the one that he's really after :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

clww

Very nice buck for your grandson. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

DeerMeadowFarm

Very nice! I wish we had some like that on our property. 11 does last night, no bucks! :(

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

PatD and I went to the Cabin Wednesday for a couple of hunting days.  She scored on this buck Wednesday evening at 4:45 in the "Straw Field".   

Nine points, 15¾" inside spread, heavy mass, and 12+" G2's.

I hunted this AM and saw one buck and this evening and saw another six bucks.  One looked exceptionally good but it got too late to be sure of the shot. 

I have to saw tomorrow, but we will go back tomorrow night.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom L

couple of real nice bucks, congrats to the hunters

how much land do you manage there. I would guess there is not too much pressure on it from other hunters.

clww

Mrs. Magic scored another great buck. :o
Congratulations to her!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I look at my Bucks each year and look at PatD"s Bucks each year.....there is something about that Lady I don't like!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Way to go Pat. Very nice.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: Tom L on December 12, 2014, 09:23:43 AMhow much land do you manage there.
Tom L, I own 346 acres and lease another 500 adjoining acres.  Deer travel so there is only so much "managing" that can be done.

I had rather uneventful days Friday evening and today.  The acorns are really hitting the ground so the deer do not have to look or travel for food.

Ron Scott

Another very nice buck! They grow well there.
~Ron

drobertson

You folks have set a high bar down yonder ;D  can only imagine the ones you let pass,, which is necessary to produce the results y'all consistently get. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

This afternoon Marty's youngest Son Luke got this 3½ year old  Buck with his Browning A Bolt 7mm08.   :)

Nine points, 15" inside spread, with 7" G2's.  He was cruising through the Pines looking for does.  Our bucks are now restless and steady walking.

I had a feral dog to mess me up but I still saw two bucks.  Maybe I can hunt Monday and or Tuesday depending upon the rain.

beenthere

Nice buck. Interesting how thin the faces are of your bucks.

Now, do feral dogs get a pass... or do you take them out?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

No passes allowed for feral dogs.  They only get a chance to ruin one hunt.    ;D

WmFritz

That smile tells the story.
Nice Buck Luke!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Yesterday was a tough day to try to hunt.   Very unpredictable swirling wind and hot T-shirt weather.

I saw 8 deer which included 2 bucks both of which were spikes.

WDH

The #1 rule on my Company's hunting clubs (we had over 700 ) was:

"DON"T SHOOT DOGS". 

A lot of pets get shot. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I imagine that there will be several Grandchildren wanting to hunt Friday and Saturday, but there is also a 40-50% chance of rain each day.  That will be OK for sitting in a shooting house, but most of us like to find a spot on a ridge in the woods and watch.  That is usually more productive anyway because bucks with does seldom visit food plots.

sandhills

I don't mind a light rain so much, I can't sit still very long I tend to "meander" around a lot and the moisture helps keep the noise down.  Of coarse that goes both ways, doesn't matter much though I'm usually looking at the trees anyway  ::).

pine

Nice buck for your grandson

Magicman

We spent a few days at the Cabin.  Our SIL took two does and a Granddaughter also took one.  My nephew took a doe and a smallish 8 point on his adjoining property.

I took a cull yesterday that we had seen almost every evening.  A 2½ year old 5 point with a 16½" inside spread.

Really a messed up thing that I very seriously doubt would ever be much better.  :-\

terry f

Good job on your deer management, looks like its working. I agree with taking out the culls, but one mans cull is another mans trophy.

Magicman

Another Grandson got a very nice buck this afternoon.

19" inside spread heavy 8 point with 9" & 10" G2's.  He took this 5½ year old buck with his 6.5X55.

beenthere

Interesting buck racks you have in MS.
Here that size rack and mass would likely check out to be a 2 yr old or if a lot of gray hair in the face and a wider forehead, a 3 yr old. 
But nice catch for sure. 
south central Wisconsin

clww

Another nice buck! :)
Cowboy boots?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ken

Very nice animals.  I am envious.  About the time our deer population begins to increase to the point where we see more nice bucks a severe winter comes along and decimates the herd.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

terry f

Nice bucks and a handsome family you have there Magicman.

Thank You Sponsors!