iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Mill Started Making a Strange Noise

Started by warren46, November 22, 2014, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

I was sawing some 2X6 pine for some rafters.  Had one last cant to finish when the mill started making a terrible racket.  I managed to finish the cut I was in and shut it down.

It seems one of the bearings on the drive axle came apart.

Monday I will need to get a replacement and reassemble and adjust.  I have not decided if I will replace the other bearing that seems to be fine.  I am leaning towards replacing both.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

JB Griffin

I had a something like that happen to me, but I caught it before it got that bad, sure enuff it'll shut you down for the rest of the day at least.

Hope you get it going soon, and i'd replace both bearings for sure.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Chuck White

Me too.

I'd replace the bearings in pairs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Warren, I had to do the same this year, your ears will tip you off to most bearing problems. If their a name brand pillow block you can just buy the bearing and reuse the cast base, they twist in. Its getting hard to find reliable US blocks if you use pacific rim, relube they must use Yak grease on theirs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

delvis

That looks like a Timber Harvester mill.  Remember not to use too much grease on those drive shaft bearings.  Too much grease causes friction just like too little grease.  If in doubt, run the mill for awhile and then take the zerk fittings out and if there is too much grease it will come out of the hole.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

StimW

If you just replace the bearing inside the pillow block you won't have to worry about a new block having slightly different dimensions.
I buy a lot of bearings for my business from-  http://www.baileynet.com/
I get fast shipping and great service! Been using them for about 6 years now. (I have no connection to them)
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

warren46

Quote from: delvis on November 23, 2014, 01:42:12 PM
That looks like a Timber Harvester mill.  Remember not to use too much grease on those drive shaft bearings. 

Yes that is a Timber Harvester mill.

Delvis was right about to much grease.

The replacement bearings included a lubrication schedule.  According to the schedule it takes one shot of grease every 10 weeks if the mill is run 8 hours a day.  Since I work alone it is rare that the band turns 8 hours in any day.  I will lube the bearings every three months from here on out.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Thank You Sponsors!