iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

paper mulberry Morus papyrifera

Started by caveman, November 21, 2014, 01:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Today at lunchtime a fellow called me about possibly sawing some paper mulberry up for him.  It is considered an invasive here.  Do any of you have any idea what the wood characteristics are?  I would assume it to be similar to Morus rubra.  He seemed really excited about it as a species and its potential to provide useful products.  I am not quite as excited.
Thanks,
Caveman
Caveman

beenthere

Your charge for sawing would be the same, wouldn't it? Regardless of the value this guy puts on his wood. Same money, I'd think.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

caveman

It would be the same charge as sawing other logs. I just hate to charge him a considerable sum for sawing up a bunch of 8" logs that are really of little value.  Also, I was wondering if anyone on this site had sawn any paper mulberry into boards and if there was anything about them that would justify harvesting them instead of just trying to rid them from this part of the planet.
Caveman

Magicman

My sawing rate does not change from Sweetgum to Walnut.  The lumber value to the customer has no influence or concern whatsoever to me. 

My only refusal is that I will not saw rotten SYP for framing lumber.

If is is junky logs, then hourly rate.  I saw um, get paid, and leave.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!